Piston Diversity over longer period

Martien

Premier Member
On the big Rides List I only see an Insanity option, ie riding 5 different bikes (1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 cylinders) for an SS1000 or BBG1500 in ONE year.
Is there also a "non Insane" version option possible, so to do these 5 rides in more than one year?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I noticed the "Piston Diversity - SaddSore 1000 on a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 cylinder - NO TIME LIMIT" on that list a while back too, but have no knowledge of how to submit for it. I'm short a 3 and a 6 at this point, but not in the same year.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
One year? I thought it was only one month to ride the 1-2-3-4-6 cylinder bikes. When I did the 5 rides in a month a few years ago it was pretty insane.
You certainly did make it more challenging! The Big List under Other Rides lists two Piston Diversity rides, both requiring completion in 12 months. LINK

The no time limit listing has zero riders listed under it on the non insanity, non gold version. And OX, yours doesn't appear to be listed on the old list or the new list. Might want to do the excel file submission from the IBA Store log in for the new list.

tcapling

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
As noted, there are no entries under that heading. I'm checking with Mike to resolve the mismatch and will either correct the list of rides or remove the heading from the ride finishers list.

Ira
Ira,

Was there ever an answer to this?

Thanks

tcapling

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I hope they keep the "no time limit" one. I was working on that just because no one is listed for it.
I was/am too.

While I have better access to choosing my ride than most (kawasaki dealer) a triple and a 6 pot are not exactly common in the kawasaki line up. (At least not made in the last 1/4 century.) So while I'm intending to buy and ride one of each, I m not certain I can do both within a single year.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I'm still awaiting official word, my gut feeling that the no-time-limit version is not offered.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

CB650F

Premier Member
I was/am too.

While I have better access to choosing my ride than most (kawasaki dealer) a triple and a 6 pot are not exactly common in the kawasaki line up. (At least not made in the last 1/4 century.) So while I'm intending to buy and ride one of each, I m not certain I can do both within a single year.
I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not, but there is a website called TwistedRoad that lets you rent other people's motorcycles. It's more expensive than a rental car, but much cheaper than buying two extra motorcycles in a year. Selection is kinda limited, but if there is a major city near you, I bet you can find a triple and a 6 cylinder. Goldwings are pretty popular. I bet you can find an MT09 or one of Triumph's many triples there too.

No, I'm not affiliated with TwistedRoad in any way. It just happens to be a website I've considered using before. I bet there are others too.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I considered the bike rental idea. At the end of the day, that's a fair bit of coin just for a cert. And some of those rental places might balk at finding another 1000 miles on the bike when you turned it in the next day. :eek:

CB650F

Premier Member
That's certainly true. It is a far bit of coin. That's one of the things to take into consideration. I don't think it would be worth it if you've got to rent 4 of the 5 bikes. If you are just missing a triple, or a thumper, it might be worth it. I'd definitely recommend talking to the owner about your plan first. As long as it's cool with both people involved, there's no harm.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
That's all certainly true. Last Sept I did a Scooter SS1K Gold, but my 2 and 4 cyl certs are too old now for the 12 month term of the ride. Once upon a time I could have borrowed the 6 cyl and would have only had to rent the 3, but I didn't have a reliable 1 then anyway, so timing wasn't there. Perhaps some day the stars will align, but honestly I don't really want to do another 1 cyl cert. ;-) It's a lot more work than knocking out a SS1k on a big bike. :)

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
This thread has me thinking of buying a triple to have a crack at a 50CC. It may not be in one month or even one year but I like the idea of having crossed the country in a couple of days on each of the Piston Diversity engines.

1 - G650GS
2 - R1200RT, Super Tenere, F800GT
3 - nada, none, zilch.
4 - Blackbird, FJR
6 - Valkyrie

DrNeo

Premier Member
This thread has me thinking of buying a triple to have a crack at a 50CC. It may not be in one month or even one year but I like the idea of having crossed the country in a couple of days on each of the Piston Diversity engines.

1 - G650GS
2 - R1200RT, Super Tenere, F800GT
3 - nada, none, zilch.
4 - Blackbird, FJR
6 - Valkyrie
BMW K75's are going pretty cheap these days... :)