Plans and Gear Tips

Farkleit

Premier Member
Maybe this is like common DF stuff but then after the muster im sure what could be added to this post may help either some beginners or hardened experts.

For me this ride took months to plan the route. Mainly because wanted to be sure it would be risk free as much as possible.
Things we looked at were time of the year. Weather conditions. Wildlife. Fuel stops. Rest Stops.
Living in Qld. We decided the newell was out too much wildlife. As it was winter the closer you run to the coast the warmer it is. We knew the worst part would be near Marulan or the Canberra turn off ( cause canberra is like the coldest place to avoid like the plauge when your from qld).
We knew what reasonable milage we got even in windy or wet conditions. So we planned for max 420klm between fuel. Even thougb the bikes will do up to 500+ in good conditions. We even rang all fuel points to ensure they were OPEN when we got there.
We planned a sleep stop of 3 hours at 2.00am in a location with some picinic benches. All plugged into the GPS.
By all of the above taken and confirmed our ride went without a hitch.
Heres another couple lfe hacks some my find use in. We all select riding gear based on all sorts of things. When its cold u need really good stuff. Anything European works great cause they have this weather all the time. Tip 1. Go to BCF get a rain bird jacket. Make sure it fits over your riding jacket. If its cold and windy. Put it on it will keep the wind ofc your jacket and keep you warmer. Also the same with pants. Put rain pants on for silimar result. Heck even shopping bags on ya boots to keep the wind off.
Hack 2. We invested in some over mitt gloves. Rode most of Friday night in summer dirt bike gloves and these over mitts. They keep your gloves dry and the wind off so your hands stay warmer.

Hack 3. Now most seasoned bloje all have heated gear. It costs a bomb but its worth it if your gonna run long cold nights. Sooooo here the good bit. AUTOBARN sell heated seat covers $35.00 they are high and low selectable and plung into a cigarette lighter. I stripped a couple apart. Removed witing and switch then my wonderful wife sewed it into vest for me. I then cut and shut the wiring and added a swith to control power from the bike. Cheap as chips and it didnt burn me like someonez super expensive one did on the weekend.

Im sure others will have lots of other tips for us that need all the help we can get.
PS i use tyre (trace your route anywhere) its free and once you plot your route you can upload straight to Garmin or Tom Tom its works with google earth. Check it out.

Lonerider

Premier Member
Great points there.

My plan from / to Perth was very similar. Only difference was that my Sleep breaks are never "set in stone" in the plan. They are always a "soft" plan. ie if I am feeling tired before my planned break I find a suitable place ASAP and I STOP.
Better to take a 15 - 20 min "power nap" than....................

Also I usually carry the good ol' paper maps just incase Mrs Garmin goes funny or there is a detour required, or I need a few extra k's, or the SS1600 is gunna be too short today, or...................................!!

Farkleit

Premier Member
Ohh and i forgot the oldest trick in the book. If your cold and have no other gear to keep the wind out, Find a newspaper and stuff it across the front of your jacket (inside your jacket) youll be suprized how much insulation a humble news paper can provide. You can also wrap it around your legs inside ya pants (that's the ol fashioned way)

Fransvdm

Premier Member
In the beginning of the 80's when I was in my early 20's I used to do the newspaper thing. It was freezing but we still rode our bikes. We don't have any money for any good gear, we spent the money on fuel and J & B Scotch instead.

Nowadays that I'm in my 30's I have upgraded to a heated vest from Tourmaster in the USA, heated grips that comes standard with the bikes and I use the best gloves I could find to keep my hands warm. Cold hands seems to cause me to lose control over the buttons on the bike, not that the GoldWing has many buttons anyway :confused::confused::confused:

My feet doesn't bother me much, I have good boots (according to the salesman).

Vlad

Premier Member
Warmandsafe ,electric jacket liners ,pants , touring gloves and socks. They are in Melbourne .Geoff is the bloke to talk too.

tj189

Premier Member
Warmandsafe ,electric jacket liners ,pants , touring gloves and socks. They are in Melbourne .Geoff is the bloke to talk too.
Funny you should mention Geoff, just meet him this morning, he is up visiting his parents and was on his way to Coolangatta airport, nice guy and very helpful.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Spanner mate we have the same footwear plan.
I've used bamboo knee length socks for years...with thermals over the top. If its winter then Thermals ARE the FIRST item on my body. Everything after that is layers on or layers off.
Back to the feet. I pack light and the second layer of socks is a mid weight boot length number that if needs be can come off latter in the day and back up as going home socks a few days latter.
My own ride started in 4C up to 7 for a few minutes then 1C, 0C and most of the leg there on - 3 peaking at a balmy 4C around 06:15 Friday. Didn't get much above 7 for the entire day except a short hour or so at 12C and the layer system worked.

Wets DR jacket after sunset over SummitPro jacket over skivvy over long tail Tshirt over DryRider thermal top. Apart from the wets all this other stuff was on the moment my eyes opened.
There is absolutly no gain by putting thermals on After you get cold. None. And in cold conditions the ride plan can be shot to hell hours before your aware your very very cold.
Full face balaclava under the lid all this trip. Helps me support neck fractures and wards off the cold in those joint. If you've been punched in the nose, then when its cold that's how my neck feels hours on end so covering the neck is a major factor for me.

The bottom ends easy. DR AirFlow with the liners in and closed with the socks and thermals mentioned above. Friday night I slipped the wets over the show. Skuds and dark I decided to make the most of a covered shop front in Hillston to add that outer layer while it was easy.
I keep a full ensemble of dry under-layers in the top box these days.

I don't need to "plan for the cold" . At this time of year I expect it, and my contingency is already in place.

Oh and this is only a game and motels line every main road into almost every town on the map so getting out of the cold, re-gigging the ride plan and staying in the good place is always an option.
God topic Farkleit

Zed14

Spanner - with a much more sports orientated bike my feet are really hanging out in the breeze and I have really suffered from cold feet over the years. I've tried all sorts of combinations of socks and really there is only so many layers of socks you can use before you just can't put your boots on.

For me electric socks plugged into my vest, and I find I only need the whole thing on low to ward off the cold feet.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'd allowed for temps down to zero on this trip, but didn't get anywhere near it.

My layers were:
Lower half: Thin merino thermals, ankle socks and KLIM Goretex pants.
Upper half: Thin Merino thermals, bike-powered heated vest, Kathmandu medium windstopper sloppy joe thing, KLIM Goretex jacket.
Boots: BMW Goretex/leather waterproof semi adventure kind with buckles.
Gloves: BMW two compartment Goretex waterproof gloves. They were on their maiden voyage and did very well.
Head: Eyes only balaclava during the day, lycra beanie with thin neck sock during the night. Shoei Neotec with internal visor so no stop/change for sunglasses. If only it would flip ALL THE WAY over like a Shark it would be perfect.

FJR Bike: Large touring screen with adjustable height, barkbusters, heated grips (used for about 20 minutes total).

Headware changes are at sundown and sunset stops, but plugging in the vest or using the heated grips or swapping in or out of the waterproof compartment of the gloves are all done on the move. No time lost for wet/dry, hot/cold adjustments.

Biggles

Premier Member
My issue is cold feet! How do I get my feet to stay warm?
I use double socks - one thin and one thick.
I like "Little Hotties". They come in a pack of two flat pads big enough to cover your toes (about 60x80 mm). You tear open the foil pack, peel the seal off a pad and stick the pad to the top of your toes (on the sock) then pull your boot on. A chemical reaction produces enough warmth for comfort for about 5 hours.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Little-H...019411?hash=item3d1ddcdf53:g:ZBUAAOSw0JpV3cjg

They warn about ventilated shoes- mine have vents at the arches and don't cause problems. It's joggers with mesh tops that will cause the temp to be excessive.
At $1 per shot, what's not to like? :)

spanner

i used the little hotties but I have issues with the disposable nature of them and they do only last for 4-6 hours in reality when the ice cubes are forming on the feet.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
4 to 6 hours on those little hotties things. That = like a 02:00 start so anything after 03:00 or 04:00 puts you well into the start of day and with that usually a lift in spirit, more activity and that "fresh as" jolt. The high from surviving the night and turning the tap up a bit. These probably have worked very well for the guys using them.

I'm interested in your headgear/ helmet OX. Did you buy your helmet with a larger size to suit this gear?
I did so with my boots and currently I'm after a new lid. Been finding some odd sizes for the same unit. But very definitely considering the larger unit as I'm a borderline size in the Shoei and figured the gap would suit a liner of balaclava.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Gatey I used a Shoei Neotec flip/modular on that run.

The daytime balaclava is thin lycra with just two eye holes. Night time its either a merino or lycra skullcap/beanie - both of them are thin material.

I've not needed to alter helmet size to allow for the head covering, and have it on when buying a new helmet in the shops anyway. I always - always - have some head covering.

The balaclava is for sun protection. The head covering is for ear comfort, to keep the liner a bit cleaner but most importantly to make it easier for SOMEONE ELSE to remove my helmet.

A bit of baldy stubble makes for a sandpaper-like like grip on the helmet liner, something I don't want if I'm asleep when my helmet is taken off my head.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks for the prompt reply Ox.
Ive noted over the years your consideration for others if your having a nap. Tis a smart way to think in the long game.
Cheers

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Vlad I once blew up about this fluro fetish ( as I viewed it at the time) Then Ox posted his thinking on the topic and it made for a massive amount of clarity for our type of riding and the locations we go to.
Glad you saw the logic behind this way to view the topic. Certainly changed my thoughts way back then.

Reader57

The same reason I have been wearing fluro for the last three years. I was "enlightened" by not seeing a fellow rider standing beside his bike at night until I was almost on top of him.

The stealth look may work in daylight and in built up areas but not for me. I even carry an active break down vest now. http://yousawme.com/ Takes up less room than a rain jacket.