Pointless 1000 - 26th June 2021

Jonnyp

IBA Member
Just an additional note on the rules.. any one buying a bike, please get some form of receipt to show how much you paid for it when you buy it and the same again when you sell it... thanks.

Well, as I set this up... I suppose I’d better go first... this arrived yesterday.. 1985 XBR500.. 4000 miles (yes... 4000 miles), it came with a powerbronze full fairing, a set of period Krausers and an LSL bar conversion kit... all for £1750. This means I’m + 500 points....

ABB5562E-0208-4997-B173-901D8E80C6F0.jpeg

Martex

Ideal, just negotiating a thing of beauty myself.
Only problem is it's a little cruiser and at 6'3'' there maybe an excess of legs to deal with.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
There you go!

Just do me a favor, would you? For the love of God, please don't put stupid pod air filters on it. ;)

Trust me, just use the stock air filter. Those carbs Will. Not. Work. Properly. if you use pod filters.

When you're cleaning the carbs, take a 10-gauge high-E electric guitar string and push it through the idle circuit. It's about the only way to make sure that the circuits are actually clean, shy of cleaning them with an old-fashioned chem-dip. You can get individual strings at any music instrument store that sells guitars, and they'll only cost a couple of quid if you get the individual string and not a whole set.

Last edited:

JON12A

IBAUK's retired Shop Keeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Here is the announcement of a new arrival. Born 1st Feb 1981,
£1500, Ten months mot. Carbs need a good clean. Would also benefit from some oil
in the forks to hopefully create some damping. Apart from that, ready to go.
Looks a nice bike !. Are the Forks not the Air Suspension units Martin ?

Martex

Yes, the front is air. They just seem too bouncy. If there is oil in them, I'm putting thicker stuff in them.
Taken the carbs off and one of the throttle slides is stuck up, so it's probably the diaphragm gone, but
I haven't stripped them yet. They are then in for a soak in the ultrasonic bath.

Shawn K

Premier Member
Yes, the front is air. They just seem too bouncy. If there is oil in them, I'm putting thicker stuff in them.
Taken the carbs off and one of the throttle slides is stuck up, so it's probably the diaphragm gone, but
I haven't stripped them yet. They are then in for a soak in the ultrasonic bath.
No diaphragms. Aluminum pucks. This is why I said to not use pod filters.

Martex

Shawn you are spot on, aluminium pucks.
As you can see they do need a clean DSCN3654_800x600.JPG DSCN3658_800x600.JPG

I've got another couple of questions.
1st shall i leave the throttle slides like they are or do I polish out these marks?

DSCN3654_800x600.JPG
DSCN3658_800x600.JPG

DSCN3673_800x600.JPG

There is also a rail across all 4 carbs that seem to have small jets in the bottom.
3 of them have small ball bearings pressed into the carb body covering the holes
One of them is missing, what do these jets do?

DSCN3654_800x600.JPG DSCN3658_800x600.JPG DSCN3673_800x600.JPG DSCN3668_800x600.JPG

Also these are the pilot jets, I presume the top one is the correct one.
Anyone know where I can get replacements?
Thanks in advance

Shawn K

Premier Member
Those carbs are pretty varnished and gunked up. They're in need of a good, deep cleaning with an ultrasonic cleaner.

You'll definitely want to clean those slides, the bores in the carbs, and get the crap off those needles. In fact, you may want to just replace the needles, but it's hard to tell just from a picture.

For spares, start with David Silver. If no success there, then go to Randakk's. For O-rings, bowl gaskets, jets, etc., use only OEM Honda or the replacements available at Randakk's. Don't bother with any kind of "universal" nonsense from other suppliers. Trust me on this.

I'm not sure about the rail on the bottom that you mentioned. I'd buy a Hayne's manual for the SOHC-4's and start reading (manual available at Randakk's).

You have some work to do (and it's going to cost you some money unless you're planning on riding it for exactly one ride and selling it again), but it's workable.

Martex

Thanks Shawn, I got an ultrasonic bath. I will check those out.
I've got a Haynes manual on order, and I've got the pilot screws on order.
I will also try and polish those score marks out.
Unless I fall in love over our 1000 miles together. It'll be up for sale straight after.
Thanks again for the advice

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
CMSNL is also worth a look for parts; the site offers exploded diagrams to help identify parts. Of course, now we're no longer in the EU there may be some additional complexity and expense of getting parts from them.

Regards,
Martin

Jonnyp

IBA Member
Well I’ve spent the last couple of weekends tinkering, polishing and cleaning....this weekend I fixed a leaking fuel tap, the one on the bike was sealed and they are £163 new but I found a repair kit for £26. Easy job in the end. I then changed the fork seals and oil and I can honestly say that 35 year old ATF absolutely stinks.. and ... Honda’s build quality in the 80’s was shocking.... all good so far.:)