Polaris Slingshot

igneouss

Premier Member
My understanding is that Slingshots are more akin to a 3 wheeled convertable than they are to a motorcycle. You sit in it not on it, it has a steering wheel, you can even have a roof, it has car-type pedals... It's a car not a motorcycle for practical purposes. Can-Am trikes are an example of a 3 wheeled vehicle that does qualify. All that said, look for a response from Ira. He's the official voice around here.

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
Just to clarify : At one time I believe they were, but not anymore. I had a personal conversation with a Slingshot owner in 2017 who claimed he did a SS1K on his Slingshot and his ride was certified. I was organizing a SS1K group ride at that time to the end of the 2017 IBR and the IBA told me at that time Slingshots were not legal for any IBA ride. The Slingshot Owner didn't believe me at that time because he had that certified ride. So apparently the IBA policy about Slingshots changed sometime before that.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Correct.

Early on, the verification teams did not know what a Slingshot was, so a few slipped through. After taking a look and deciding it was much more a car than motorcycle, the decision was made not to certify them. So yes, there are a handful of Slingshot drivers who have certificates.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Tcmcnomad

NoMaD
Premier Member
Just to clarify : At one time I believe they were, but not anymore. I had a personal conversation with a Slingshot owner in 2017 who claimed he did a SS1K on his Slingshot and his ride was certified. I was organizing a SS1K group ride at that time to the end of the 2017 IBR and the IBA told me at that time Slingshots were not legal for any IBA ride. The Slingshot Owner didn't believe me at that time because he had that certified ride. So apparently the IBA policy about Slingshots changed sometime before that.
There are a few vehicles that fall under a weird area. For instance I've always had an infatuation w cabin cycles and streamers. While even a purist would most certainly agree that the amazing creations of Craig vetter were definitely motorcycles or scooters since he based many of them on the Honda Helix. I'm sure many would balk at the monotracer, Carver or ecomobile. Yet even though they are fully enclosed w "automotive style seating" they are definitely much closer to motorcycles than anything else. Especially given that all of them are based on cycles and all travel on two wheels.
With this in mind if I ever get my hands on one (or by magik /quarantine have time to finish constructing my own) would I want to set some form of long distance record in one, absolutely! I also have delusional hopes of being the first to pull off and all electric 50cc, which I think could only be done using a cabin cycle design at least yet. But I would think that much in the way scooters get a different acknowledgment from the IBA I think all of these gray areas cycles should also fall under a different class.