Premier membership - is it still worth it?

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
As the renewal of my premier membership is due soon, I asked myself if I should actually renew it.

For riders from overseas, most of the benefits ( fast-track certification, advance notice and early registration for IBA events and new rides; special rides; special IBR drawing) are not really applicable which leaves basically the Iron butt magazine. It was the reason for me to join the program - a brilliant magazine full of excellent articles. With the disappearance of the paper magazine (I can comprehend the reason for this very well) and a digital version not yet in sight, I have trouble to see why a premier membership is still a "must have".

Am I missing an important reason?

JimBurriss

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I joined as a premier member as soon as I found out it was available.

Because of my Premier Membership I have received early notification of many IBA events. This has been worth it to me as they tend to fill up rather quickly. I have not used the fast track certification, but that is a great benefit. I get nice emails from the IBA about upcoming events, programs, and other interesting IBA related stuff. Maybe not worth the $40.00 to everyone, but it is to me.

I will remain a Premier Member as long as the IBA will let me.

YMMV,

Jim

Paul Slaton

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I am and will continue to be a Premier Member as long as it is available. Don't care about the magazine. Don't care about advance notice of things. Don't care about fast-tracked certs.

Those things are nice, but not the reason, in my opinion, to support the IBA . This is an organization that doesn't charge dues and what fees it charges are nothing short of a gift. I'd be very surprised if more than a few events came close to breaking even.

The question was "...is it still worth it?" For me, it's probably the best $40.00 a year I've ever spent in my life.

Keep it in perspective, it is only $40. That is a pretty trivial amount in the grand scheme. At least you know that the Iron Butt Association, with their strengths and weaknesses, provide you a good excuse and sometimes reason to ride. $40 bucks is not much to support a qualified vetting association. Anyone (not quite right) can say they rode miles and miles and miles on two wheels, but the IBA verifies that you are not just blowing smoke.
You don't need the Premier status to do this, but hey, who else is around to prove you are not full of (lies). Tossing a few extra bucks at the IBA is assurance that they will be around to check your proof, when you have exhausted yourself after the last long trip in the saddle.
And yes, I miss the magazine too.
--Chelsea

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I feel the need to add my 2c worth.

Robert's original question asked, specifically referring to those of us outside the USA, what benefits we might expect to receive in return for our premier membership. The answers appear to converge on "providing support for the IBA". Let me play devil's advocate for a moment: why does the IBA need such support? Do we not pay fees for certification? Do we not pay fees to enter rallies? Do the organisers and validators not do their thing for free anyway?

It's only $40; the world won't end because we gave that amount to the IBA but I do think the question begs a better answer than those offered so far.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I feel the need to add my 2c worth.

Robert's original question asked, specifically referring to those of us outside the USA, what benefits we might expect to receive in return for our premier membership. The answers appear to converge on "providing support for the IBA". Let me play devil's advocate for a moment: why does the IBA need such support? Do we not pay fees for certification? Do we not pay fees to enter rallies? Do the organisers and validators not do their thing for free anyway?

It's only $40; the world won't end because we gave that amount to the IBA but I do think the question begs a better answer than those offered so far.
First, one should view a Premier membership more of a donation to the organization than anything else.

Yes, you already pay for certification. The fees allow the program to barely break even (do you know the cost of resending a certificate package to Brazil for the third time via FedEx after the first two we sent get lost in the Brazilian postal system?). Yes, you pay for rally entry fees. But the only rally we run is the Iron Butt Rally, and that in the past has been a money loser (to the tune of thousands of dollars).

And then there is the cost of Web hosting and Web page maintenance (the new software you're enjoying here on the Forum wasn't exactly free). And there are the attorney fees for defending our intellectual property (you'd be surprised how many organizations use the "Iron Butt" name or "Saddlesore" designation without permission. We lose them if we don't defend them) These are just a few of the expenses of running a 60,000-member world-wide organization that the membership doesn't ever see, or really know about.

All of this comes at a price. The Premier program goes a long way to offsetting these costs. So if one is thinking about whether it's worth it, frankly it may not be in the direct services to the membership (expedited ride certification, early notification, etc.). But I assure you it makes a big difference in the operation of the Iron Butt Association as a whole.

We are very grateful to those members who decide to become Premier members. You are, indeed, the core of the organization.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Daisy

Premier Member
First, one should view a Premier membership more of a donation to the organization than anything else.

And then there is the cost of Web hosting and Web page maintenance (the new software you're enjoying here on the Forum wasn't exactly free). And there are the attorney fees for defending our intellectual property (you'd be surprised how many organizations use the "Iron Butt" name or "Saddlesore" designation without permission. We lose them if we don't defend them) These are just a few of the expenses of running a 60,000-member world-wide organization that the membership doesn't ever see, or really know about.
Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
As another member outside North America, I found myself asking the same question as Robert. I was in it for the magazine.
Thank you Ira. That there is a good enough reason.

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
Thanks Ira, this is exactly the kind of answer I hoped to hear.

Let me emphasize that my "devil's advocate question" (as Bob has correctly put it) was not about the money; we do spend much more performing our rides and rallies.
I hope that the magazine will return soon in its new, digital form.

Outside North America, we have our local "chapters"/branches that have a much harder time to survive than the parent organisation. Their activities would not be possible without the generous support of some very active members who dedicate a lot of time and money to provide an interesting programme to the members and future members. 40 $ are just negligible compared to that.

IBA Sweden

IBA Sweden
Staff member
Outside North America, we have our local "chapters"/branches that have a much harder time to survive than the parent organisation. Their activities would not be possible without the generous support of some very active members who dedicate a lot of time and money to provide an interesting programme to the members and future members. 40 $ are just negligible compared to that.
We'll second that!
IBA Sweden has since the start almost 10 years ago issued a voluntary "membership fee" of now SEK 200,- a year for Swedish riders - close to USD 20.- for comparison.

This is just to support activities of the Swedish branch, and many riders are indeed very loyal - even though this fee is not mandatory.

We too struggle to add value for the paying members, and we have some good ideas for the future - but in the end there is a streak of "donation" here at our part of the world as well.

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Since Joining the IBA a few years ago I became a Premier member from the start and have always seen it to help support the background activities with the bonus of the Magazine.
I was asked via an email last year if I wanted to cancel the last subscription due to the magazine stopping and said No, I still wish to support the IBA via the membership.
I'm probably one of only a few in Europe that uses the Premier Verification if the ride is not UK based or is a ride not on the Country ride lists.

So from my perspective the Premier Membership will always be worth supporting.

And for those who don't or have not donated to Spotwalla (Jason Jonas) .. He provides a valuable resource that a lot of IBA members use...

AyrtonO

Premier Member
I'm probably one of only a few in Europe that uses the Premier Verification if the ride is not UK based or is a ride not on the Country ride lists.
So Premier verification can be used outside US as well? Is there somewhere rules for such rides - when a ride is possible to verify through that and when e.g. has to verified by local chapter? How "based" is translated for standard (non-country-specific) rides?

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
So Premier verification can be used outside US as well? Is there somewhere rules for such rides - when a ride is possible to verify through that and when e.g. has to verified by local chapter? How "based" is translated for standard (non-country-specific) rides?
Good Question ... From what I work on with my limited knowledge

If the ride is specific to the Country then the local Chapter should verify that ride unless they mention in the rules that the ride can be sent to the USA for verification.
Example: UK End to End .. UK
Fools Gold .. UK
German 16/24 .. Germany
Belgian Beer Ride .. Germany
GN72 .. IBA Finland (USA is no longer part of the options)
Circuit of Ireland .. IBA Ireland

Local rides like SS1000, SS1600K etc are sent to the local group that you associated with, however some countries are not covered by a Local chapter so they go to the USA.
You could send the local rides to the USA but that would not be very respectful to your local chapter if they exist.
Some New chapters are just being formed (IBA Australia for example) and I believe still go to the USA for verification and can use Normal or Premier system.

Special rides which have been designed by a Chapter are verified by them..
Example .. Godfather (SS1000 Sicily) .. IBA Ireland
Government SS1000 (Ireland Scotland Wales & England).. IBA Ireland
EggSanity SS1000 .. IBA USA
IBA Memorial ride dates .. IBA USA
RBLR 1000 .. UK

If your visiting and riding in another country then the choice is up to the rider ..
You can send it to their own local chapter or the USA, The USA may then forward the application to a local chapter of that country for verification, once verified then print out and send it from the USA.

Example
Pre.. Nordkapp to Gibraltar 2 x SS1000 went to the USA (Countries involved ( France, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Finland & Norway))
Pre.. European End to End SS2000 Gold went to the USA (Countries involved (UK, France and Spain))
European SS1000 went to the USA (Countries involved( France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Hungary and Romania))

Hope this helps

I will be doing some rides this year from IBA Germany so the rules apply from Germany and the Documentation.
My USA rides will go to the USA and rally practice and memorial rides will also go to the USA (Premier system)
I plan to do some of the new UK rides so they will go to the UK

Fun Bobby

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Perhaps I'm typing under a misperception, but I believe I remember reading that Premier Membership gives you an additional chance at an IBR entry draw. Ira, am I operating under bad information?

Rob,
Navarre, FL
IBA #15661

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Perhaps I'm typing under a misperception, but I believe I remember reading that Premier Membership gives you an additional chance at an IBR entry draw. Ira, am I operating under bad information?

Rob,
Navarre, FL
IBA #15661
No, you have it right.

If you take a look at the Premier info page at

http://www.ironbutt.com/premier/

you will see where it says

--------------------
If you are one of the uber-elite who has what it takes to compete in the toughest motorcycle rally in the world, Premier membership is really not optional. Premier members get a private drawing like IBR veterans. Plus, Premier members get a second draw in the main drawing. Your chance of being selected for this rarest opportunity is more than doubled.
-------------------

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association