Productivity

Good thing I'm home sick. But this conversation was heard at my home tonight: Wifey: "are you looking at that ass-motorcycle thing again?" Me: It's BUTT. Iron BUTT association. You know. That thing you said you'd ride with me some day?" Wifey: "I'm not riding in any ass motorcycle thing, and you know it!

Then she brings me a beer with a huge grin on her face.....

I’ve been watching it off and on all day as well. Tonight, when I saw that the first riders were starting to modock into and across Illinois, I grabbed my iPad Pro and iPhone and hopped in my truck and headed toward I-74 and took it west toward Bloomington and Peoria Illinois. I was able to see a few and by dumb luck, met one while we were both refueling at a Love’s station in LeRoy IL. Had the privilege and honor to talk with rookie rider JD Smith for a short 10 minutes. Made my day, hell, made me week and its just barely Tuesday here now :)

Matt Hube

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Great stories, guys. Glad to know I'm not alone in this.

How about the folks out on Long Island or down in South Florida. The Jerry Reed song "East Bound and Down" comes to mind......we've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. It would be one thing if all they had to do is get to Washington by Thursday at 8 p.m. It's totally another thing to do that and then have 2 more legs of routing and riding to do. Amazing stuff!

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I’ve been watching it off and on all day as well. Tonight, when I saw that the first riders were starting to modock into and across Illinois, I grabbed my iPad Pro and iPhone and hopped in my truck and headed toward I-74 and took it west toward Bloomington and Peoria Illinois. I was able to see a few and by dumb luck, met one while we were both refueling at a Love’s station in LeRoy IL. Had the privilege and honor to talk with rookie rider JD Smith for a short 10 minutes. Made my day, hell, made me week and its just barely Tuesday here now :)
I know how strong the impulse is to see the competitors on the road. But remember - it may be a short ten minutes to you, but in this event every minute counts.

The other problem is that riders get into a routine when they get off the bike. Someone coming over is nice, but it can break their concentration - more than one rider has forgotten something that needs to be done by the distraction. So please be considerate of the riders if you see them on the road, and especially if you happen to run into them at a bonus location. They will be very appreciative. And so will we.

Thanks.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

ibafran

Due to OCD at rally time, I have a job that requires me to get away from the digital devices. So. I get stuff done slowly between day dreams. Washed some windows today just so I would look like I was carefully inspecting them for latent smudges.

I know how strong the impulse is to see the competitors on the road. But remember - it may be a short ten minutes to you, but in this event every minute counts.

The other problem is that riders get into a routine when they get off the bike. Someone coming over is nice, but it can break their concentration - more than one rider has forgotten something that needs to be done by the distraction. So please be considerate of the riders if you see them on the road, and especially if you happen to run into them at a bonus location. They will be very appreciative. And so will we.

Thanks.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Thanks.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Ira, you are exactly right. I didn’t set out to interrupt or be in the way. I simply wanted to wave them on from a safe spot away from them and their roadway. It was purely coincidence that I needed to refuel my gas hog truck in order to get home and by coincidence I chose the same fuel stop as the rider and we pulled in within seconds of each other. I kept my distance from the rider and the chat to a minimum for those very reasons.

JAORE

Premier Member
I'm (very happily) retired. So you would THINK I'd have unlimited time to watch the Spotwalla feed,etc. But my wife is retired too and it's danged hard to explain why those creeping many points are so fascinating. (Even though she has her own IBA number.)

As one of those riders causing dots to dance on your screens, I got a BIG lift from two crazy bastards dancing on a bridge overpass somewhere between greenville and creede CO, waving a big GO IBR RIDERS placard at me as i zoomed beneath them..whoever you were, thanks..

JimBurriss

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I met a gentleman at a bonus in Lake City at the Lake City Marina. He was very nice, considerate, and offered ice and water if it was needed. He was taking pictures of the riders. I would like to know who he is to thank him properly.

I'm sure he will remember me. I waived, gave it gas, and rode into a dead end parking lot and had to ride back by...... waiving of course. I laughed at myself for a long time about that.

If you know who he is, PM me please.

Jim