Questions about a particular route

New guy here, but I did search the forum, rules, etc., and couldn't find a definitive answer to my questions, so here goes:

I am planning a Bun-Burner 1,500 as my first documented attempt at LD riding. I live in the Kansas City area, so I plotted a route from a local gas station to Limon CO where I will turn around and double back to the starting point gas station...just over 1,000 miles...with another 500 miles still to go. From there I intend to ride east to St. Louis and back for a total of 1,500 miles. Here is a link to a map of the route. Assuming my proposed route is acceptable, I have several of questions. (If the route does not fall within the guidelines and traditions of the IBA I'll just start over and plan a new route. I'm retired, so I have plenty of time!)

Question #1 - I want to get some sleep after the 1,000 mile point. The local gas station mentioned above is just a few miles from my home. Prior to riding the remaining 500 miles the next day, would it be acceptable for me to grab 6-7 hours of sleep in my own bed instead of a motel along the way? (Save a few bucks and sleep better!) I would not count the miles traveled from the gas station to my home and back as part of the ride. I guess there is no easy way to document them, and it'd be only a grand total of 10 miles.

- Kansas City to Limon
- Limon to Kansas City
- Sack out at my home
- Kansas City to St. Louis
- St. Louis to Kansas City

Question #2 - Do I need to document that I was at the gas station that night AND also the following morning when I start out again? It seems logical to me that if I had just one receipt showing that I was there either that night or the next morning, and I properly documented the rest of the ride, I'd be OK.

Thanks for helping me out. This is gonna be a hoot!

Frank

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It's a pretty straight forward route, but you need to stretch it out and get a few more miles a few more miles I just a couple of seconds but making in go straight through KC I was able to cut it to 1499 miles. 30 -50 miles of cushion is not to much on a BB. 30 miles is only 2%. One receipt for the nap time is fine as long as you account for it in your log.

Paul Knight

Premier Member
Yes you can sleep at home. Just document the stop and start time.

You should document the gas after 1000 miles so you can get the ss1000 "documented" should you not wish to complete the remaining 500 miles...

Do not forget the start and stop witness forms.

good luck

It's a pretty straight forward route, but you need to stretch it out and get a few more miles a few more miles I just a couple of seconds but making in go straight through KC I was able to cut it to 1499 miles. 30 -50 miles of cushion is not to much on a BB. 30 miles is only 2%. One receipt for the nap time is fine as long as you account for it in your log.
Good idea about riding some extra miles for cushion. I'll stretch it out a bit on both ends to get a few more miles. I figured one receipt was adequate for the nap time stop, but I wanted to make sure. It'd be a shame to ride that far and find out it didn't qualify due to the lack of a receipt.

Yes you can sleep at home. Just document the stop and start time.

You should document the gas after 1000 miles so you can get the ss1000 "documented" should you not wish to complete the remaining 500 miles...

Do not forget the start and stop witness forms.

good luck
Yup! Another good idea. I'll make sure I qualify for the ss1000 in case I fizzle out the next morning.

I've been studying the various forms and methods of documentation. The IBA has made it fairly straight forward and relatively easy to prove where/when you rode.

Thanks.

Paul Knight

Premier Member
Also if you have a smartphone, install SWconnect for the iphone or Bubler for the Android. Get a free spotwalla account and track your ride realtime and also use it for confirmation of your ride.

mess533

Ron Messick, Independence, MO IBA#598
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hey Frank, another Kansas Citian here. If you're planning on this ride soon give me a shout. Although I'm a working stiff still, I am always up for a weekend ride. Also I understand if you ride solo, thats what i prefer.

Also if you have a smartphone, install SWconnect for the iphone or Bubler for the Android. Get a free spotwalla account and track your ride realtime and also use it for confirmation of your ride.
Good info. I was wondering if there was a good way to do that. I have a smart phone, so I'll install it and play with it for a while.

Hey Frank, another Kansas Citian here. If you're planning on this ride soon give me a shout. Although I'm a working stiff still, I am always up for a weekend ride. Also I understand if you ride solo, thats what i prefer.
For the LD rides I probably would prefer solo just so I don't have to stop for someone else who has to take a whiz when I don't, etc. Otherwise I'm ready to ride with someone. I have a good friend in St. Louis, and the two of us ride thousands of miles together each season. Been riding together for years. We're the same age and we've ridden so many miles together that our bladders seem to be synchronized. (I know...TMI.) :) I'll keep in touch and maybe we can meet up sometime this season.

Rony6ble

Premier Member
Frank,
You have good advice from previous answers. Get the 1,000 done, sleep and try the additional 500. Make sure you do have the 1,000 and some more following Russ' advice (maybe 10 to 20 miles over since it is your first certificate - I'm personally trying to do a 1,000.00 mile ride but not for your first one).
From all the receipts, the most important is the one at Limon, CO, that's a turn back. Check the receipt, than, check the receipt and then you can check the receipt again! I would also buy something at the store and check the receipt 3 times.
Do not keep the receipts in your tankbag, I use a ziplock in my inside jacket pocket.
Good luck and report back how the ride went.

Frank,
You have good advice from previous answers. Get the 1,000 done, sleep and try the additional 500. Make sure you do have the 1,000 and some more following Russ' advice (maybe 10 to 20 miles over since it is your first certificate - I'm personally trying to do a 1,000.00 mile ride but not for your first one).
From all the receipts, the most important is the one at Limon, CO, that's a turn back. Check the receipt, than, check the receipt and then you can check the receipt again! I would also buy something at the store and check the receipt 3 times.
Do not keep the receipts in your tankbag, I use a ziplock in my inside jacket pocket.
Good luck and report back how the ride went.
Thanks! I've been planning on going tomorrow (Saturday) and was looking at the weather. First day looks good...second not so good. 90% chance of severe thunderstorms on the second day. May have to be satisfied with the 1,000 mile ride. 10-4 on the receipts. I plan on getting additional ones from the most important locations. Then I'll check them...numerous times. :)

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Receipt criteria: Location (address/city/state/phone number - prove where you were) - time and date (you may have crossed into another time zone - now your head gets to hurt for a moment as you attempt to figure out if it's reasonably accurate) fuel amount (it's not the receipt from the guy that used the pump previously, right??).

On my last ride, I used sequential numbers to note on the receipt which sequence each receipt was (y'know, 1,2,3,4...) If you submit you ride using a Google Map, they use letters to sequentially mark locations (A, B, C...). I'm also jotting down the bike odometer as well.

Let us know how it turned out!

Steve Bell

Premier Member
I list sequential numbers on my receipt as well and include odometer reading on the receipt. That way when I complete my log I have a way to double check my odometer reading and make sure it corresponds with the correct stop. For me it works and lessens the chance that I will make a documentation error. Good luck!

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I list sequential numbers on my receipt as well and include odometer reading on the receipt. That way when I complete my log I have a way to double check my odometer reading and make sure it corresponds with the correct stop. For me it works and lessens the chance that I will make a documentation error. Good luck!
I agree ... I just completed my TOH Extreme Saddlesore and made sure to log my mileage at every stop as well as record ODO reading on every receipt, and numbering them in order. I did uncover one simple transposition of digits in mileage that would not have noticed if not for the dual entries. Also, very pleased with the premier member email certification process. Finished my ride on the April 30, submitted May 4th and received my cert on May 9th! Wow! That was fast!! Kudos IBA cert Team!!!!

Joseph Kappes

Kankujoe
Premier Member
Bubler, get which one, free or paid app?

Does the Lite (free) version work well enough or do I need the Pro (paid) version?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>Does the Lite (free) version work well enough or do I need the Pro (paid) version?
Free version of BubblerGPS only holds five (5) data points. Thus, if you are out of cell phone range (easy to do here in the west, for example...) it may not completely collect all of your tracking data.

For $9.95, the paid version hold 1000 data collection points.

I know about the iOS variant, but I'm not familiar with a free/paid version.