Questions. All sorts of questions.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
I am sure not to be the only one to have wondered about the little things regards our bikes and stuff and the how too's or who too's or that mystery place to get things.
Sure you can dredge your way through every thread possible and still not get an answer. Or its a device in another country or a tyre that was only ever fitted to the lunar lander and all out of reach.

So I thought maybe a broad topic. open to others questions be they none item/ info specific or just obvious but not to the questioner.

Here is just a few recent thoughts that have provoked a question or two in my pea sized brain.

Etrex 10 GPS. Mine runs on battery's which only last maybe half the ride. Is there a power cradle for these. Who sells them and how did you mount it. Power point options maybe. If you have the answer tell us and tell us what bike that is on.

Here's another. Simple at first glance. Those in the know with first hand info as an owner please post your thoughts and experiences. Does the Yamaha luggage for the s10 last?

Here's a good one and only the duel sport big bike owners will have a handle on this.
Tyres.
Shorten that to tyres that can do big miles on big Adv's on Australia's assorted roads.
Conditions for your answer.
Brand of tyre.
Brand/model of bike.
Typical load.
The big one....Tyre pressure for the above and a short reason why this works for you. This question does not require and epic theatre answer.

Boots. What boots did Craig tell Karl about?

Who has an s10 owners manual for a 2015 es?.

OK guys next questions and some answers too

Skidoo

Premier Member
I am sure not to be the only one to have wondered about the little things regards our bikes and stuff and the how too's or who too's or that mystery place to get things.
Sure you can dredge your way through every thread possible and still not get an answer. Or its a device in another country or a tyre that was only ever fitted to the lunar lander and all out of reach.

So I thought maybe a broad topic. open to others questions be they none item/ info specific or just obvious but not to the questioner.
Good idea!

Here is just a few recent thoughts that have provoked a question or two in my pea sized brain.

Etrex 10 GPS. Mine runs on battery's which only last maybe half the ride. Is there a power cradle for these. Who sells them and how did you mount it. Power point options maybe. If you have the answer tell us and tell us what bike that is on.

I run a cable from the eTrex (maybe called a mini USB?) directly to a USB that continually charges the eTrex in its cradle via a RAM mount attached to the bike. Only need the batteries in the eTrex to charge when the USB power is disabled - I find this works well and rarely require a battery change. I fasten the cable to the cradle via a cable tie.

Here's another. Simple at first glance. Those in the know with first hand info as an owner please post your thoughts and experiences. Does the Yamaha luggage for the s10 last?

Here's a good one and only the duel sport big bike owners will have a handle on this.
Tyres.
My last two sets were Heidenau K60 scouts on my S10. My last trip involved over 3,000 K's as transport on sealed road and they went well. Weighed up a more aggressive pattern but following advice and research stayed with them as a compromise
Shorten that to tyres that can do big miles on big Adv's on Australia's assorted roads.
Conditions for your answer.
Brand of tyre.
Brand/model of bike.
Typical load. 22.6 litres fuel, 3kg spares and me
The big one....Tyre pressure for the above and a short reason why this works for you. This question does not require and epic theatre answer.
Well, I like em hard except for sand (and I hate sand) I tend to run recommended pressure, at times they appear a bit skittish on some surfaces but I can ride on that by using the seat of my pants

Boots. What boots did Craig tell Karl about?
Alpine Star - I used tech 5 cause they were on special. Big toe box and I can run two or three pairs of socks. I can have my pants either inside or outside boot. Not waterproof and they do double as a canteen if water is required to be carried. I got a 'special' white and black pair, poxy looking but they were cheap!

Who has an s10 owners manual for a 2015

OK guys next questions and some answers too
Answered within quote as the iPad has issues

Brookester

Premier Member
So never owned an etrek10 but found this... https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-12v-lighter-adapter-for-Handheld-GPS-Units-P1947.aspx

If referring to S10 aluminium panniers and top box...last as good as any others..I had Touratech on mine..bit pricey...don't ever use hard panniers off road...seen too many broken ankles from the softest of offs...

Tyres??? Black round ones that hold air....but seriously my 100,000km S10 used to love the Anakee 2 which is no longer available. Metzler Karoo 3 are'nt too bad..Hidenau K60 and Mitas E09 seem good 50/50 tyres.
Longhaul Paul runs Bridgestone and does serious miles on his S10's but mainly road riding.
Comes down to your road/dirt %. I did run Conti TKC80's for when I was 20/80 on the S10's..not high mileage but best damn tyre for that size, weight and torque.
Boots...I use Gaerne S10's...love them. A lot of ADV riders have gone the Sidi Crossfires of late and rave about them..good quality MX style with ankle protection is the go..no half measures.
S10 owners manual...should be 1 or 2 floating around the S10 groups online.
Congrats on the bike and all that is good in life of late Gatey :cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:

Brookester

Premier Member
Oh I forgot tyre pressures...for hwy running depending on road tyre or 50/50 ran 38-41 rear & 36-40 front, TKC80's ran 35 rear and 33 front. Off road no matter which tyre 22-24 both front and rear.
I like many others found Michelin PR4 Trails and normal had serious cupping especially on the front no matter what pressures...suggestion is weight distribution of the bike with it low down forward of centre.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi Brookester.
I believe thats the right angle micro usb that is needed to fit within the space in the cradle.
Thanks for the tyre info too. I had intended to go straight to the Avon Distanzia as they are by far my tyre of choice after years of use on the TDM. BUT they dont stock them in Australia now. Might even have stopped making them too.
Currently has K60's both ends. Fronts new and the rears probably at 80% at my best guess. 32psi both ends just now
Bike is a 6th month 2015 ES version with some basic fruit and the standard beels and whistles like heated grips and so on.

Now who has some new questions they need an answer for.
Like who has a second hand AuxTank with the full mounting kit and plumbing to suit a Honda ST1300?

Brookester

Premier Member
"Waterproof"...the 64 million dollar question? There are many on the market, SIDI, Gaerne, TCX that all claim Gore-Tex waterproof boots. There is a caution I have found on boots claiming to be waterproof is that to use that material they quite often lack the necessary rigidity (structure) to offer the level of protection I am comfortable with. My Gaerne S10's get a good coating of Dubbin on a regular basis and gotta be in quite deep to get in over the top, which will pretty much guarantee a drowned bike. Touratech and KLIM have gone into the boot market and have some good offerings but are pricey as hell.

I look first for protection, then for movement both on and off the bike. Hinged ankle protection is a key measure for me. As for walking around off the bike, I have light shoes/boots on board for that. I don't do enough water crossings to worry about waterproof boots, and in wet weather riding I use the great oil skin pants and boot ers from https://www.theaussiecoat.com.au/ best gear I have ever bought.

So once again, boots like anything you wear is a personal choice and comes down to what makes you comfortable, because having the "best" product that is uncomfortable does not make for a good riding experience especially off road in the middle of nowhere.

Ed.

Premier Member
I generally try not to get into oil/tyre/ gear discussions so I may regret this...
The two adv rider trainers I have had any exposure to (Chris Birch and Nick Selleck) both REALLY strongly recommend against the softer "adventure" type boot simply because they are soft and allow a lot more squashing and movment in the event of a crash and also from a bike control aspect- stiffer boots= more direct connection to bike. I am certainty not going to correct riders of that calibre BUT....for the type of riding we generally do or at least that this forum is focused on, I reckon a softer more comfortable boot is fine. Horses for courses.
I have both and will definitely reach for the mx style when ever heading seriously offroad or for more aggressive riding where greater feel, protection and control is required. But for "just" riding on formed gravel roads then comfort wins out for me. The mx style boots for really long hours would suck.

Hampe

Not Right Rider
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
For the street, I run TCX Desert-X

Photo credit.(and review) http://www.dirtrider.com/tcx-x-desert-gore-tex-boots-product-week

Been using them as my only boots for normal riding for 3 years now, and to me they are waterproof.
Haven't had my feet wet once, though riding in all kinds of weather. But, as always; YMMV.

Going offroad I use a pair of Scott MX 250

Waterproof too!
But in the other, not so pleasant way: once wet, the will stay wet. No water is escaping the boot by it self.
Have had them for an 11 day long gravel adventure, and they were as wet in the morning as when I took them off in the evening - no matter what tricks I did to speed up the process. Guess it's the high density, reallt thick and heavy foam that absorbs the water.

Still, it worked. I was glad to have the sturdier boot for that specific ride, and very happy over my TCXs when out on normal rides.
The Desert-X is the most "street like" boot I feel comfortable in, but again - that's me. Can't ride a bike - any bike, without a peak on my helmet.

Vlad

Premier Member
I have used the Gaerne adventure boot for years and they are water proof unless your riding in water deep enough to come over the top. I don't find them comfortable to walk in particularly and there not that great for long periods of standing,the sole is not rigid enough I find. Recently switched to Forma adventure boots, the brown ones. These are much better to stand and walk in surpriseingly and are considerably more robust. Not so water proof I find but the good outways the bad.
Tyres are evil money consuming things and for me it's all compromise. Things like TKC 80's grip superbly but don't last and the ones at the other end of the spectrum are limited off road. The best I have found so far are TKC70's. Excellent grip wet or dry on the road quite respectable off unless your in mud and they last about 14000 k on my GSA. 265 k plus 33 k of fuel 20k of luggage and my 94 kilos. They still handle well when they are rooted in my opinion.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
I use DriRider Airflow pants most of the time. You know the kind of thing thats got a liner and a sip down the cuff . These fit very well around my Rossi boots.

Do you think they would fit round the boots described above? or do you tuck in?

Good points Ed. Im not hard core and I do want a boot to walk in. My thinking may change with time on this particular style of bike.

Vlad

Premier Member
The only pants I put inside my boots are my Hiflo summer pants by Daenese. These are specifically made to go in boots, Klim do the Mohave pant which is basically the same thing but perhaps more durable. They are dry weather off road pants and if it rains, like Hackle said your boots fill with water. They are however the best thing to ride in in summer.

Rusjel

Premier Member
FWIW, the video comments on the Forma match my experience with owning a set, so the review seems pretty straight up.

The biggest beef I have with mine is that they get a little hot, so if I had the money for the gore Tex lined Alpine Stars I'd give those a try. But life is a compromise so...

Wombattle

Hey Gatey,

I suggested the Alpinestars Tech 7's to Karl, he got a pair of Tech 5's. They are MX boots not "Adventure Boots" and they aren't waterproof but are relatively "showerproof". Waterproof makes no difference if you are going places where you fill your boots up with water crossing a floodway or a creek. I've worn them for IBA rides that include tough terrain, they squeak but they are comfy, even for days on end. I suspect the toucans and the sidis in your posted review are close but perhaps slightly less "rigid" but clearly offer greater levels of protection than the others. The other thing I like about the tech 7's is that the fasteners, the central part of the sole that gets trashed on sharp footpegs and other bits and pieces are all replaceable.

If you don't intend to put yourself seriously off-road and in technical stuff that's likely to see you having a rest with your leg between the bike and the ground (at least 5 times now for me) you won't need something like a Tech 7. I've been grateful for that extra lateral rigidity that boots like the formas don't have. So with your review as you go left to right your chances of a busted leg increase. It's a balance of risk/price/comfort. If they made the Toucans in my size I'd have a pair.

If I'm riding the S10 or the Africa Twin and there's a bit of easy, non technical, safe dirt but otherwise it's tar I just wear my road boots. My Daytonas have a steel shaft in the sole so they are good for standing anyway.

So your question should be - what boot is good if I'm going to .... "ride 2000k's on the Birdsville Track in a day or insert use case here".

Last edited: