Questions. All sorts of questions.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
I've been learning heaps about bike boots this week and as Wombattle has pointed out.."insert use case here" as the market has many sectors.
Maybe my question has reaped rewards for others too.

Now hers the cringe question but its only asking for a simple answer from Super Tenere owners.
In order, please .
What engine oil?
Brand and weight.
Your climate
Current bike mileage.
Typical use.

Nothing technical OK.

Skidoo

Premier Member
I've been learning heaps about bike boots this week and as Wombattle has pointed out.."insert use case here" as the market has many sectors.

Now hers the cringe question but its only asking for a simple answer from Super Tenere owners.
In order, please .
What engine oil? Full Synthetic
Brand and weight. Penrite HPR10 10w50
Your climate warm, usually - has done substantial work in minus temps (in snow) limited expose to extreme temps as yet
Current bike mileage. 67,000Km - will run in new S10 once she is run in
Typical use. Latte rides a rarity

Nothing technical OK.
In order, please .
What engine oil? Full Synthetic
Brand and weight. Penrite HPR10 10w50
Your climate warm, usually - has done substantial work in minus temps (in snow) limited expose to extreme temps as yet
Current bike mileage. 67,000Km - will run in new S10 once she is run in
Typical use. Latte rides a rarity

Fransvdm

Premier Member

In order, please .
What engine oil? 100% synthetic
Brand and weight. Ipone Katana 10w50
Your climate hot and cold
Current bike mileage. 21000 and something
Typical use. sitting in the shed

I change oil & filter every 6000-7000 km

Nothing technical OK.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Ive started with the bike prep.
Today was mounting the first set of lights. LightForce ROK40 LED's.
These come with a harness, switch and relay and terminals.
So Ive gone looking for a suitable trigger point only to discover things are tight in the s10 harness. Virtually no spare OEM loom behind the lights.
So my question is at what place have other Super Tenere users tapped into the high beam side for a trigger?
Im also interested in switch mounting options.
Cheere

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Gatey Im on the road at the moment so dont have a pic on hand. The easiest trigger access is under the right side panel.

The Super Tenere forum has good pics to show which pink yellow or whatever wire.

If you dont find what you need by nightfall tonight let me know and I'll snap a pic and send it to you.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks for the Ox. I'll search the s10 forum and have another look see on my bike.
Im also pondering the redundant circuit issue as each light has its own relay etc. Im considering keeping each as a seperate item...but I cant for the life of me remember ever needing this feature on any of my past bikes.
Logic says with two sets of lights ide end up with 4 relays, 4 switches and 4 fuses. A bit of overkill Im thinking..

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Gatey here's a link from the S10 forum anyway....

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=1946.0

Currently I'm running the following LED lights - all triggered by the highbeam wire:

- 4x35W 4 inch 'Jaycar' spots through one relay and one fuse and one handlebar switch.
- 4x10W 2inch Twisted Throttle Denali D1 through one relay and one fuse and one switch.

So a total of 8 lights, 2 relays, 2 fuses and 2 switches.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Got it Ox and I'm a member over there now too. Thanks for your gentle nudge to go do this too.
Pink wire as you thought.
For those guys still to do this job there is a plastic basket that's at the very top of the wire cluster that comes through from the head stem area into and behind the top right cover.
This basket has 4 connectors to do all sorts of stuff. the biggest has 6 wires...one of which is the pink one. Not much room here so I stripped back a short section of pink insulation and soldered my trigger wire then sealed it off.

So in the end I've set the new harness as two separate circuits. For now that's one left and one right switch,relay,fuse. Earth is spliced into one ring terminal at the battery. But I've kept two separate ring terminals for the positive side.
The trigger wire is spliced into both circuits. This gives me a left and right side to the light options or it could be spots and floods as individual groups.

I did this because at some time in the near future I'll be adding two more lights from Graham Strange at Motogear.

All that's left to do is a little tidy up and make a nice bash/ bar mount switch block for the illuminated rocker switches and may mount off the right side mirror post.

Been a great day all up.
Thanks Ox

Cheers

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Count down/up timers.
Im currently fitting a few things to my bike. And this feature might already be in the bikes multi function unit so if it exists in s10's then say so.
If not however what are you guys using that's not GPS based. Id like something with total time up or down, at least two intermediate lap timers and it needs to run of the bikes power.

Fransvdm

Premier Member
Gatey here's a link from the S10 forum anyway....

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=1946.0

Currently I'm running the following LED lights - all triggered by the highbeam wire:

- 4x35W 4 inch 'Jaycar' spots through one relay and one fuse and one handlebar switch.
- 4x10W 2inch Twisted Throttle Denali D1 through one relay and one fuse and one switch.

So a total of 8 lights, 2 relays, 2 fuses and 2 switches.

Ox, Maybe for now you should stay away from the area just south of Glendambo. At some stage there were a couple of poo poo chicks that thought 8 auxiliary lights exceeded the number of which some Australian design rule wanted you fit to your bike. From memory it cost just over $320 or so to keep going after the chat about the lights. After you pay the money, you don't have to remove any of the lights, they will only remove the defect sticker for you at Coober Pedy police station.