Rain Gear Recommendation

Greetings Everyone.
I just completed an 6900 mile, 29 state, 9 day ride. Before I left on the trip I bought a set of Frogg Toggs rain gear. While they did a pretty good job of keeping me dry, they got melted by my exhaust. So now not only do I need to buy another set of rain gear. I also have a very nasty spot on my chrome exhaust that has to be replaced.
I am looking for recommendations on good quality rain gear. This is the second set of rain gear I have been through within the last year. I normally ride in very warm weather so that will be an issue for some of the heavier stuff but I have had my fill of crappy rain gear so I'm ready to invest in something that will hold up.
Thanks in advance for you advice.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I've had decent luck with frogg toggs, mine came with a heat shield on the right leg to prevent them from melting, I bought a pair of riding pants that have a rain liner in them, so no need to stop and put on rain gear.

John Z

Premier Member
Probably not the answer you're looking for, but I wear Aerostich AD1 pants. They're waterproof and probably wouldn't melt on your exhaust.

Last edited:
Tried the good stuff? tried the motorcycle stuff? and the best I have ever used is the stuff yah get from a safety house
The big yellow stuff
Make sure you get around 4 sizes too big, that way yah just slip em over all yah gear without trying
Oh and its cheap as chips
Definitely waterproof and after more than 40 years using it on a bike nothing beats it
Oh and the old exposed exhausts used to melt em a bit

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
When I wore separate rain gear I wore the Harley stuff. While expensive it did not melt and kept me dry with the exception of a little water trickling down the front which was probably my fault.

However like many in the LD world I have moved to Klim gear that protects and is waterproof.

I stayed dry during 100 miles of torrential rain on Friday night. When I say torrential, I mean rain coming at you at about 40mph, while I was riding into it at 60mph (ish). Heavy rain, the kind you can barely see through.

Two hours of that and I remained dry, and warm. That has never happened to me before on a motorcycle and I have tried everything over the years.

The difference is the KLIM Lattitude two-piece suit.

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Give up on the separate rain gear. Buy water proof riding gear and be done with it. You don't have to stop and gear up and down as the situation changes. Just close your vents and keep riding. Eventually you'll come to this conclusion too.

Give up on the separate rain gear. Buy water proof riding gear and be done with it. You don't have to stop and gear up and down as the situation changes. Just close your vents and keep riding. Eventually you'll come to this conclusion too.
I agree with this, but it can come down to cost.

The bike I rode in my first 13 Rallies, and completed a BBG on, cost less than a KLIM Badlands Pro suit.

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You don't have to get the expensive gear. I rode many years in First Gear Jacket and pants. I have a First Gear, water proof, resistant, jacket that I got at one of the discount web sites for $109. Now I have to say I mostly choose my old faded Darien for long rides but if the First gear was all I had I wouldn't hesitate, and didn't, to leave for Alaska with it.
You can find First Gear pants at the same web sites too.

The problem is that we go to extremes.

I readily concur that for leisure riders, and motorcycling generally, there are some decent options at modest prices.

That all goes out of the window when you factor in having to ride, for days on end, at times not of your own choosing. I've tried that in several good suits for the last five years and concluded that "if it ain't Gore-Tex, you will get wet".

Paul Knight

Premier Member
I will chime in that the motorport gear works great for me.

My complete set including the rain liners cost me around $1000+ 6 years ago.

The gear now has over 130K miles and besides sun fading the gear is in perfect shape.

The mesh works well to keep rain off you withou the rain liner, does a great job of evaporation and drying when it does get wet and also in the worst heat you could imagine you are cool as long as you are moving. Any gear if you are stopped will bake you in the sun.

The zip in rain gear liner works VERY well but I seldom use it unless in the colder months when rain would make the evaporation uncomfortable.

Check out what I have here

http://www.motoport.com/product/marathon-air-mesh-jacket/

http://www.motoport.com/product/ultra-ii-air-mesh-pant/

Great price for gear that will probably last over 200K miles.

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Paul,

Actually when it gets above about 93' and you are in mesh gear you are.putting more heat into your body than you're taking out. You might feel cooler and less sweaty but you're going to dihydrate quicker.

Paul Knight

Premier Member
Hi Paul,

Actually when it gets above about 93' and you are in mesh gear you are.putting more heat into your body than you're taking out. You might feel cooler and less sweaty but you're going to dihydrate quicker.

Patrick, I have seen different opinions and a few "scientific" reports on the matter. I can only say that I live in FL and have been on many multiday 100+ temp rides and I personally have not had any trouble. I stop every 280 or so miles, gas, pee and chug a 32 oz Gatorade.

I am sure each of us are different but this works for me. PLUS I am not getting full wind on me all the time. like I would bet most of us we have pretty good wind protection.

I am sure each of us are different but this works for me. PLUS I am not getting full wind on me all the time. like I would bet most of us we have pretty good wind protection.
At temperatures in the higher 90s and above, managed evaporative cooling works best.

You need a sealed suit that you can control the airflow through ... using cuffs and neck, or a rear vent. You wet down your base layers and allow some air through. It is very effective cooling but requires a suit you can seal.

Greetings Everyone.
I just completed an 6900 mile, 29 state, 9 day ride. Before I left on the trip I bought a set of Frogg Toggs rain gear. While they did a pretty good job of keeping me dry, they got melted by my exhaust. So now not only do I need to buy another set of rain gear. I also have a very nasty spot on my chrome exhaust that has to be replaced.
I am looking for recommendations on good quality rain gear. This is the second set of rain gear I have been through within the last year. I normally ride in very warm weather so that will be an issue for some of the heavier stuff but I have had my fill of crappy rain gear so I'm ready to invest in something that will hold up.
Thanks in advance for you advice.
Go to the H-D dealership and ask for the One Touch Heated Jacket and/or pants and gloves. I've worn this jacket for the past year in many hard rains for long periods -Waterproof. And you can leave the heated gear at home, too.

Men's Heated Waterproof Dual-Source 12V Riding Jacket Part Number 98326-15VM
Men's Heated One-Touch Programmable Plug-In 12V Pant Liner Part Number 98384-15VM
Men's Heated Plug-In 12V Gloves Part Number 98329-15VM

Just be sure you need the pants - I found that wearing them without turning the heat on - I was plenty warm at 25 F.

This is the only DUAL POWER SOURCE gear I have enjoyed, and I've had several.