Rally Riding and Insurance

Paul Knight

Premier Member
Hey Michael, you the same Michael Moore on the BMR scoring team?

The agent told me that they are moving to different languages state by state as they can get it done. It looks like your language is better. No 500 mile limit and technically we are not competing when on a 50CC or similar.

As far as the rate, it looks like Progressive would be $100 less than Geico, but I have 20 years of car with them and Motorcycle since 2009.

Paul Knight

Premier Member
Fellow IBA peeps

I just spoke to Matthew Larson underwriting manager at Geico and he confirmed that they changing the language in FL to match the language in NV .

For bodily injury or property damage losses sustained while your covered cycle is used in, or in preparation or practice for:

(a) Any hill climbing exhibition;
(b) Any racing, speed contest, or stunting activity of any nature;
(c) Use in any competitive riding or use on a race track or race course unless participating in a motorcycle safety course meeting the standards established by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, the All-terrain vehicle Safety Institute, or a similar safety council, program or institute

He said it could take 4-5 months to get the language changed in FL since they are submitting the language now.

He also stated that with 10+ years at Geico he has never seen anyone denied a claim over distance unless it was racing or competitive environment.

Thought?

I went to cancel my Geico insurance yesterday and she asked, why? I told her it was because of section 7 about Competitive riding. She said that went to underwriting and they said poker runs and rallys were not included because these are not racing. I replied then send me something that states that or change my policy to remove the "competitive riding". Crickets.

I also asked if it went to underwriting and they said it is covered, then why did they not call or send an email... She replied, we write down every reason you called and if my questions about poker runs was not covered, they simply would not renew my policy.

I stated, if you can not send me something in writing that changes the "competitive riding clause" then I have to cancel and go with the insurance I just bought.

Just updating the story.

500 miles in 24, wow! I have done a few IBA rides. Even when I am just touring, 600 to 800 is a normal day. I agree the competitive clause needs to be clarified as they could twist that in any way they want.

Last edited:

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...> I agree the competitive clause needs to be clarified as they could twist that in any way they want.
Exactly.

That's their 'get out of covering you' clause in the event something went wrong on a ride.

Sadly, this is where lawyers and such have to become involved with what should be fairly simple issues between an insured customer and their company.

I just went through my State Farm motorcycle declaration legalize. The only mention of competition as of March 2016 is clearly stated, well somewhat: "...used in practice for, or operated in any racing contest, speed contest, hill-climbing contest, jumping contest, or any similar contest or while it is on a track designed primarily for racing or high-speed driving. The track exclusion does not apply if the vehicle is being used in connection with an activity other than racing, high-speed driving, or any type of competitive driving."

In my opinion the curious word(s) is racing and possibly similar contest. I guess some smart ass lawyer could say, that IBR you were involved in was a race against the clock. We all know it is not all about the clock. Riding to work is for sure "against the clock". Track days would definitely be questionable.

I guess I'll stay with State Farm even if it is not the least expensive at least until they start screwing with me. I have been insured by them since I started driving in 1965.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I just went through my State Farm motorcycle declaration legalize. The only mention of competition as of March 2016 is clearly stated, well somewhat: "...used in practice for, or operated in any racing contest, speed contest, hill-climbing contest, jumping contest, or any similar contest or while it is on a track designed primarily for racing or high-speed driving. The track exclusion does not apply if the vehicle is being used in connection with an activity other than racing, high-speed driving, or any type of competitive driving."

In my opinion the curious word(s) is racing and possibly similar contest. I guess some smart ass lawyer could say, that IBR you were involved in was a race against the clock. We all know it is not all about the clock. Riding to work is for sure "against the clock". Track days would definitely be questionable.

I guess I'll stay with State Farm even if it is not the least expensive at least until they start screwing with me. I have been insured by them since I started driving in 1965.
For those words it seems as long as you are not on a Track you're golden as we all know IBR rules strictly enforce the speed limit.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The might have used them there but my connection is

"The classic Pyrex #723 white milk glass coffee mug with teal stripe by CorningWare used throughout the Submarine Service. Generally accepted as indestructible and capable of withstanding both depth charges and bouncing off the hull or anechoic tile when accidentally dropped by the topside watch. "

Went by the wayside long before i retired but we used then for a long time.

I knew it had military on it. They used them also in the Army kitchens. We used to have almost a whole set of plates, saucers, and cups. I am an Army Brat.

Thanks for your service.

The might have used them there but my connection is

"The classic Pyrex #723 white milk glass coffee mug with teal stripe by CorningWare used throughout the Submarine Service. Generally accepted as indestructible and capable of withstanding both depth charges and bouncing off the hull or anechoic tile when accidentally dropped by the topside watch. "

Went by the wayside long before i retired but we used then for a long time.

The Navy has shifted to a clear or red tint plastic cup. I was medically retired about a year ago... I was surface side QM1