Ram Phone Holders

Amnon Romano

Premier Member
I use the x-g for many years now, and am very happy with it. RAM also live up to their lifetime guarantee: once during a long ride through Norway the X disintegrated itself (I spilled fuel on it...) - was replaced with no questions asked!

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Yes, I have used both. The Quick-Grip is BY FAR the better holder.

X-Grip (and even the Finger Grip) WILL NOT keep your phone in place once you start heading down a rough stretch of road. I don't mean "dirt road", either. I mean rough pavement, undulations, chewed-up asphalt, you name it.

I had my phone jump out of my previous holders at least a half dozen times on my last big ride. It was only because my charge cord was such a tight fit that the phone miraculously landed in my lap each time.

Get the Quick-Grip, take the time to set the side guards correctly, and be on your merry way. The bottom fingers are solid, and the top fingers are on a spring loaded slide, so your phone is gripped securely.

Don't even bother with X-Grip or Finger Grip.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher

Attachments

My first mount was a RAM quick grip. It was perfectly easy to use and great, but it got damaged in a wreck and at the time, I couldn't get a quick grip anywhere, I think they briefly weren't offering it, so I got the X grip.

I still have the X-Grip, been using it forever without problems, but I have to say, I also do use the rubber tether with it when I do use it. At least with the tether, it's perfectly secure.

However, there are some downsides:
• The phone I have now is a Google Pixel 5 and the power and volume buttons are on the same side of the phone, so I have to kind of guide the top right arm of the X to a narrow area in-between the power and volume up button, which is only slightly annoying. Could be an issue depending on your phone's button layout, also eliminates the ability to set it in the grip higher or lower if you want.
• The rubber tether covers the corners and in the top right, that means it covers up the battery life indication, and the top left, covers up the time. A minor annoyance.
• You have to use two hands to mount or dismount the phone, you simply cannot do it one-handed. Especially at stops if I need to go in for food or the bathroom, I don't want to leave my phone on the bike in the parking lot. This is a major annoyance/downside to me.

If you're deciding between the Quick Grip or the X-mount, get the Quick Grip. Once you set it up, you can put your phone in or take it out with one hand. It's much faster, easier and more versatile.

However, there are other mounts out there. Ciro 3D makes an assortment of adjustable mounts that look like they can be operated with ease with one hand.

I personally am not a fan of the quad lock stuff like Rokform. For one, it means you have to use their phone case, IF they make a case for your phone, which are inherently bulkier than other cases due to their design. And if they don't make a case for your phone or you don't like their case, or if you don't want a phone case at all, you have to put a case on then put on their universal adapter, which sticks out from your phone. And then if you get a new phone, you have to buy another case. Want to borrow someone's phone for whatever reason? Can't unless they also have the same quad lock setup.

To me, none of that is acceptable. That being said, I am sure those quad lock type mounts are perfectly secure, and the people that do have them love them, but I don't see paying $50-100 for a mount to have to pay $20-50 for a new case or to modify a case as being all that worth it when I could pay $50 for an equally secure mount that lets me use ANY phone with any kind of case.

Tim Harkins

Premier Member
I’ve used the original X grip for years. Due to various reasons my bikes been down pretty hard 5-6 times. Never had the phone come loose. I did modify the Xgrips a bit, I used a pair of needle nose pliers and bent the 4 rubber ends in slightly. Basically wraps around my phones.

Tep_52

Premier Member
I have been using the x grip for years and never had a problem until I tried using it with my new s20 ultra. I was lucky when I caught it after it popped out going down the highway. I have now switched to the quick grip with wireless charging. So far so good. As a added bonus I don't have to worry about button placement

I have nothing but good things to say about the RAM setups. I've used the U bolt style for tubular bars (non sportbike clip-on type bars), fork stem mounts that use rubber down the hollow steering stem of sportbikes, and the type that bolt to the clutch or brake master cylinder perch (2 bolt)

The only one I don't like is the center mounted fork stem mount because you can never get it tight enough to not have some movement. The ones that are actually BOLTED are solid enough I can shake a 600 lb bike from just the ball base and it doesn't move. And I have gone over 200 mph with their use for Go Pro mounts and they are good. X Grips I've taken to 200 mph a couple times with full bodywork and fairing but its not done often.

They seem to work perfect for cell phones as long as the arms aren't pressing a power button or volume button on the side of the phone.

When I tried incorporating older Garmin GPS units (like the 255W) for places that you lose cell signal but still need navigation it seems that as the ride goes longer and longer the vibraton from the bike (inline 4 cylinder, stock exhaust, geared very long) eventually cause it to just not want to play along. In the car it goes back to working normally.

My work around for the Garmin units for now is to wire it up thru the tank bag and have it sorta visible if I look down.

A.