RBLR 23

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
WARM! SUNSHINE! NO RAIN! WTF is going on??
The usual 0500 Squires out to Rivington services next stop Hamilton services M74 bloody tedious long drag, the A82 along side Loch Lomond is narrow and winding and not really suited to a full size 52 seater coach especially when we met two caravans in the opposite direction first one was OK the second one had about eight inches either side but would not get through.
This resulted in a frank exchange of opinions on the driving skills from both sides, meantime me and about six other bikers were sitting there and the midges turned up so visors shut and it was getting warmer but the little bastards found a way in.
Next stop Ft William tea and a snack then refuel at Inverness (home to the four and twenty virgins) Google is your friend:D why does the bloody sat nav want you to go left at Drumnadrochit then put you back on the A9 via Dingwall.
I always refuel there as i have enough to get to Wick and back as there could be problems with the pay machines on the pump, the A9/A99 North is a superb ride then you have to about face and do it again the good weather just made it better.
Refuel at Inverness on the return that gets me to Dreghorn for a sandwich and get my heated jacket on as the temperature was dropping, Andy who was doing the ride with me reckons i'm a big southern softie but i was not the one who was freezing my bits off, refuel at Berwick for that last one hundred and sixty miles of arse ache back to Squires.
Arrived at 0230 or 0300 it was a long day so twenty two hours....ish.
That is my eighth RBLR ride starting in 2013, i might do next year maybe, probably.:rolleyes:

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
I did the same route a little ahead of you, back to Squires at 01:15

You can save some hard earned with a Lesmahagow Tesco fuel stop and grab a £3.40 meal deal too, it's on the slip road M74 junction 10, 172 miles from Rivington, 136 miles to Fort William.

Did you know you can bypass Glasgow and Loch Lomand? Set a waymarker for Callander (A84) that'll take you up the M80 towards Sterling where you exit the M9 at junction 10. that won't get you away from the midges though, I was clearing my visor of splattered midges every fuel stop and sometimes mid way between fuel stops.

I rode into Inverness too, but chewing the cud with others it seems there's some good tarmac to be ridden turning left at Drumnadrochit which I plan to do next year.

My liners went back in just south of Wick, then it got uncomfortable hotter before cooling down later in the evening south of Berwick.

Happy days

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
On the way home the detent on the visor mechanism decided to fall apart so the visor would not stay open, so a trip to Helmet city ended up with a replacement Shoei neotec 2 540 quid:eek: the old helmet was five years old.
Straight swap with the blue tooth plus they updated the system.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Excellent concise succinct reporting, well done that man.

I love my Neotec2, they have a five-year warranty so Shoei thinks a safety helmet should last at least that long. After five years, never mind the fact you can wash the liners, they get a bit minging.