Recommendations on Gore-Tex boots

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
It's time to replace my engineer boots with a proper motorcycle boot. After my experience with my Darien jacket, I've decided that whatever boot I buy must have Gore-Tex construction.

So far, I'm looking at offerings like the Dainese Fulcrum GT and the TCX X-Five.4 GTX (nice looking boot, terrible name). I briefly considered the TCX Fuel WP, but decided against it because it was proprietary waterproofing and not true Gore-Tex (I'm absolutely enamored with Gore-Tex and my mind is set).

I'm looking for 4-season ability, so boots with lots of mesh construction aren't the way I want to go.

What are you LD vets and gear hounds using these days? I need to get something soon so that I have time to break them in before Heart of Texas.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Been wearing BMW Allround boots - the same pair I bought in the mid-80's - and they've held up more than 500K miles. I have them "lifted" with 3/4 lifts because I needed the extra footing but they're still holding up just fine.

Shawn K

Premier Member
Interesting. I had wondered about those as well, but wondered if it was an example of OEM branding being put on a garden variety item.

I've also been looking at the SIDI Canyon 2 boot. I have a perception that the lugged sole is more durable and long-wearing, but I could be wrong.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The "lifts" I had added were to the soles. They're flat soles and are still holding up. I have a pair of boots with lugged soles and don't wear them.

Dave28117

Premier Member
I have some relatively inexpensive tour masters with goretex. I've had them at least 5 years, survived a crash, and still repelling water as expected. I've used through though some real gully washers and they work well. You don't have to spend big $ for a good pair.

I have had and worn out many boots over the years, but i don’t think the Daytona trans Open Gore-Tex i have is going to give in any time soon
there expensive but top quality and you can get them resoled if needed or any part replaced if damaged
ok mine are relatively new compared to some
i have done at least 100,000 miles in them and was recommended them by a German police rider and up until recently was only available in Germany
hope this is helpfull

Shawn K

Premier Member
They keep changing the name and the current name is TCX X-Five.4 GTX Boots

Previous name was TCX X-Five EVO Gore-Tex Boots
Ahh yes, that's one of the front runners I'm looking at. I've narrowed it down to the TCX X-Five.4 GTX, the Sidi Canyon 2, or the Dainese Fulcrum GT.

RobG4

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have to buy some new boots soon as well, and the TCX Clima Surround is probably going to be what I get. My feet get HOT in the Summer, and these apparently have excellent ventilation.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I'm currently wearing Sidi Aria boots. Waterproof, comfortable in a wide range of temps, and also very comfortable to walk in. Whatever you choose I strongly recommend you try them on if possible. Like heads, feet are very personal and one person's dream boot might be another's torture device.

EddyC

IBA Member
I practically used to ride all day, every day. We were issued Daytona Nonstop Gtx boots.
A bit chilly in our winters (-5°C) and certainly too hot for our summers (+34°C).
After my retirement a couple of years ago, I still have 'm and use them on a weekly basis in all kinds of weather.
I have nothing but good things to say about these boots,
except that the "zipper" is on the inside of the foot/leg and I have known people complainting about interference with the pegs while trying to put their feet down on the road.
A brush and some boot polish now and again makes them shining of happiness...
Take Care,
Ed.

abkeeling

Premier Member
IBA Member
I'm currently wearing Sidi Aria boots. Waterproof, comfortable in a wide range of temps, and also very comfortable to walk in. Whatever you choose I strongly recommend you try them on if possible. Like heads, feet are very personal and one person's dream boot might be another's torture device.
Just purchased replacement boots a few minutes ago and these are what I went with. Have been running SIDI goretex boots for the last decade and a half.

I used SIDI On Road Touring for a lot of miles/years. Resoled twice. Like them a lot, no wet feet. But the last several years I have been wearing SIDI Adventure for the extra protection. They are great while riding, not bad to walk in, a little more effort to buckle. But with my KLIM Badlands pants on, taking care of business sitting on a toilet, or in the middle of nowhere, can be a challenge getting the pants down far enough. :eek:

The Adventures are in for resole since November 18. :mad: I hope I get them back someday. Glad I have the On Roads.
Do not use Sole Performance out of Encinitas, CA. They are supposed to be SIDI authorized factory repair. I used them several years ago. But something happened to the place since then.
Every week the guy says he will send them back, no resole. I even told him I’d pay return postage.

I'm currently wearing Sidi Aria GTX - they took a few hundred miles to get comfortable. I got these to wear, while I was getting my Forma Terra Evo Low boots resoled. The Formas were comfortable out of the box, alas, they do not use Gore-Tex, they use Drytex, so they don't meet your requirements. Good boot, though.