Red P Plate IBA Ride - to Epping and back

I get off my red P’s in 1 month, and thought it would be a bit different to complete the ride with the restricted speed limits along with an instant 3 month suspension if I get caught speeding.

I had originally planned to do this with Dad as I hadn’t ridden that far on my own before and having his experience and company I thought would help. A week out dad had injured his back and was unwell, so was unable to come with me. I had been looking forward to it so decided I would go it alone.

Due to my speed limit dad had suggested I need to ride along a road where It would be easy to keep up my overall average speed, so to Melbourne and back on the Hume was the best and safest choice.

After about 5-6 hours sleep I got my start docket at 2:37am. I was feeling nervous about having to remember everything at each stop. I usually forget to do something - like when we left I forgot to plug in my heated liner.

It got pretty cold pretty quick and the further I went the colder it got, I was trying to tough it out to the first stop at Yass before I stopped to plug in the liner but the temperature kept dropping rapidly so I made the call to stop and plug it in. And Im glad I did. It must have been around 2’c and I really feel the cold.

First stop at Yass was probably the quickest one of the day because it was so cold I just wanted to get back on the bike and keep going. Quick fuel stops aren’t usually my forte. It started to warm up once I got to Holbrook at 09:01

About 30km after Yass at 06:25 I was pretty sleepy so decided to stop for a powernap. I found a truck bay, parked the bike and lied down on the grass. I was about to fall asleep when I could hear someone saying "hello? Hello? Hello?" a couple of police had surrounded me and were relieved to find I wasn't deceased. I was awake then, so I kept riding until I could have another powernap about 30km down the track which was much more successful.

The next stop was Glenrowan where I left without doing up my chinstrap so had to stop again to do it up, then on to Epping. My back was starting to really ache by around this stage, I had been trying to make sure I was stretching frequently but I think I had done all I could. The more painful it got the longer away the finish line seemed.

I have a Kaoko throttle lock device fitted which definitely helps, but it still requires me to keep my eye on the speedo a lot of the time, and during the night this takes up a lot of concentration, especially since my lighting is far from desirable. In some previous off road training I had dropped my bike and bent the handlebars. Daily commuting to work it goes un-noticed but on a long ride my wrist was really aching at the uncomfortable angle.

I had heard about the strict speeding rules in Victoria and I believed it after the 1000 speeding cameras I passed. It was nice to be able to increase the speed to 100km for a while. Hoping I don’t receive a fine in the mail.

I stopped at the same places on the way back. Glenrowan, Holbrook then on to Yass. I had an extra stop at Pheasants Nest where I met up with Dad for the rest of the way home.

The most I had ridden before hadn’t exceeded 1000k’s so this was significantly higher - but I had my head in the right space and was just focussed on getting to each stop. Dad also played a huge part in helping me ride this, I have learnt a lot from his rides plus his encouragement, support and equipment. Mum is also a huge supporter, even though it means she spends the day worrying.

The final stop Menai at 23:07 - total 1707km in 20hrs 30mins. And a thank you to everyone who showed their support and encouragement. I was overwhelmed by your comments and it made the ride feel more special.

Brookester

Premier Member
WOW!!! There have been some good rides on less than powerful enough machines that struggle to maintain speed limits, but to do your first IBA SS1600 on absolute speed restrictions??? Well done, you'll remember this for a long time.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Great report Lisa. Congratulations on completing your first IBA ride :)

Perfect choice of road for this particular ride, too. It was fun watching your SPOT trace the Hume all day:

Any pics?

Fatman

Rob said to me that you are a determined girl, this proves it for sure, overcoming a painful back which never seem to get better on a long ride like this.

I did notice that you stopped twice close to each other when you headed south, I'm sure the Policeman's voice "Hello Hello" would have woken you real quick! :eek:

Well done Lisa on completing your first IBA ride.. Congratulations! :)

Marls

Nice start for an IBA #. Congratulations on a safely chosen route. No.1 down, with some lovely mementos of the run. hopefully you'll have more to come. I'm with Ox, any photo's (or it didn't happen!). lol

Rusjel

Premier Member
Thanks Lisa, interesting report on a great ride.

As you've already discovered, doing the ride means solving problems. p plate limits, small bent bike, sore back, challenges accepted and over come. Well done!

Reader57

Congratulations Lisa! Take pride in what you have done in achieving this personal goal! Apart from recognition from the IBA with a number and certificate along with the support of us older riders, you wont get much else except for that warm fuzzy feeling of completing the ride by yourself. Bad back or not, I know your Dad did the right thing by letting you go solo.

SimonB

Premier Member
Well done Lisa! A ride to be very proud of. Like others, I eagerly watched your spot. I hope this is the first of many LD experiences for you.

Fransvdm

Premier Member
Congratulations on your achievement Lisa.

It is my understanding that the speed limit only applies to L & P plate riders in NSW, not Victoria, unless they have changed it lately.

sixty6north

Congratulations on your achievement Lisa.

It is my understanding that the speed limit only applies to L & P plate riders in NSW, not Victoria, unless they have changed it lately.
The speed limit for P platers in Vic is 100kph, even where the limit is 110. This why Lisa was able to sit on 100 in Victoria.

HACKLE

Mind over matter. A focused rider overcoming all the little nuances that rear their ugly heads on a timed ride. Hearty congratulations from this old bloke. I can see many more certificates coming your way in the future.

Farkleit

Premier Member
Well done and congrats Lisa. Good ride report also. Its unfortunate Dad didnt teach you to take photos of you wonderful achievement. Im sure Frans could give some tips on this lol. Job well done.

Tele

Premier Member
A truly fantastic first-up effort Lisa. Such a distance on your licence restrictions is an effort to be proud of ! Sincere congratulations on a wonderful personal achievement.

I'd like a dollar for every time I have ridden off without the chin strap secured! And, despite the inconvenience , it was nice to see the Police checking on your welfare. Very best wishes for all your future riding adventures !

Brookester

Premier Member
Thanks Rob, I thought it was something like this. I never had P's in my entire life, so just went by what I was told...
Just a side note...P Plate laws are maintained across borders by your home state. Example..Tassie 90km/h restricted P Plater in Victoria is still restricted to 90km/h even though Vic allows 100km/h.

Wombattle

Great Ride, great report and great pics Lisa. Congratulations again on getting it done. That certificate and IBA number when it comes will be very special.

tj189

Premier Member
Well done on your first IBA ride Lisa, a good sensible ride for your circumstances, especially considering the P plate requirements.