Ride Around Iowa

I was going over the route for the theme ride "Ride Around Iowa." One of the required Dated Business Receipts is for Giard, IA. Giard is unincorporated and as far as I can tell, there are no retail business' there. Giard also uses the zip code of McGregor, IA so any receipt obtained there would probably say McGregor.

I don't know who "maintains" the Ride Around Iowa but I'm curious how this is handled. If I'm going to point out a problem I'll offer a solution - replace Giard with Guttenberg. Looks like there is a place in Guttenberg with 24-hour pumps.

DelB

Premier Member
OK, I figured out Larchwood to Sioux City. S&T has the mileage as 1034 in 20:48.

Are all those little roads paved??

DelB

Premier Member
Finally routed it all out. Unbelievable!!

Good luck to anyone that tries this ride. I hope when someone tries it, they count all the turns involved.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
As a reminder, the rules state:

You must obtain the receipts in the order listed. Either order (clock or counter-clock) is fine but they must be in order, e.g. Lansing MUST come immediately before or after Armstrong.

So your choices are either clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Ira

BigDaddy

Premier Member
I have this ride all planned out, and will be doing it as soon as our weather gets better. I am also going to visit as many Freedom Rocks as I can along the way.

BigDaddy

Premier Member
I will be riding from my home in Austin Mn, to Armstrong Ia, for my start town. I am going clockwise.

Start town.... Armstrong
2nd town.......Lansing............ Mandatory stop
3rd town.......Guttenberg........Mandatory stop
4th town.......Bellevue.............Mandatory stop
5th town.......Bettendorf.........Mandatory stop
6th stop........Muscatine.........Mandatory stop
7th stop........Fort Madison.....Mandatory stop
8th stop........Centerville..........Freedom Rock
9th stop........Corydon.............Freedom Rock
10th stop......Mount Ayre........Mandatory stop
11th stop......Blockton............Freedom Rock
12th stop......Clarinda.............Freedom Rock
13th stop......Sidney...............Mandatory stop
14th stop......Onawa..............Freedom Rock
15th stop......Howarden.........Freedom Rock
16th stop.......Larchwood......Mandatory stop
17th stop.......Armstrong........Mandatory stop

Total SS1000 miles.........1,047.6 miles

I am beginning in Lansing, Iowa. There is no 24 hour gas there so I will be using a bank ATM for my start receipt. Our witness will be the motel lady who will kindly sign the papers when we leave. Is the start time when we leave the motel or when we get the ATM receipt? The ATM is a few miles from the motel. We plan 12 stops total, 10 are required for certification of the ride. There is not much time for stops as most is on secondary state roads. 4 of us are doing it on 11 May, 2018 (God willing). 3 in our 60's, the kid is 59. Eeee Haaaa!

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
The official start to all IBA certificate rides is your first receipt. The official end to all IBA certificate rides is your last receipt. See the Saddlesore 1000 rules page.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

I am beginning in Lansing, Iowa. There is no 24 hour gas there so I will be using a bank ATM for my start receipt. Our witness will be the motel lady who will kindly sign the papers when we leave. Is the start time when we leave the motel or when we get the ATM receipt? The ATM is a few miles from the motel. We plan 12 stops total, 10 are required for certification of the ride. There is not much time for stops as most is on secondary state roads. 4 of us are doing it on 11 May, 2018 (God willing). 3 in our 60's, the kid is 59. Eeee Haaaa!
I did the ride on 11 and 12 May, 2018. 4 started, 4 finished! We traveled clockwise beginning in Lancing Iowa at 4:00 am. We started with 41 degrees/heavy rain/strong crosswinds and were chased by storms or mist for over 8 hours. It took 2 hours to go the first 84 miles. The rest of the day was catch-up, mud facials from 18 wheelers, deer dodging, and quick stops. Most of the roads were secondary roads. We finished with one hour to spare! Now I need to do the paper work. As Mr. Kneebone said, this is a crazy-tough ride, more difficult than my previous Iron Butt 1000 in October in South Dakota. Our staging place was the Scenic Valley Motel in Lancing. Very clean, nice owners.
Doc

Nice job - way to stick it out with challenging start conditions. Looking forward to the RR; interested in group dynamics and how you managed fuel stops etc.

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
For those who ride this in the future, I live in Bettendorf and could easily be your witness.

I would also be willing to witness most of the Eastern locations with enough warning.

Just send me a PM on here if you would need this.