Ride Around Iowa

Nice job - way to stick it out with challenging start conditions. Looking forward to the RR; interested in group dynamics and how you managed fuel stops etc.
We kept the same order of riders throughout the trip. We rode largely in formation. This helps on nonverbal communication and getting around obstacles.(Voice communication would be better with all other principles applied.) When the front man signaled, we moved "right now". This also helped us stay alert for safety's sake. We had all stops pre-planned down to addresses and ETA. We chose the time to avoid heavy traffic in Davenport, Council Bluffs, and Sioux City. At the fuel stops, we documented the odometer reading, fueled, filed receipts, used the washrooms, grabbed a bite/drink, and got going. Our stops were all less than 15 minutes, anything else and we would have failed in the time parameters. We had a slow start due to hours of severe weather, so we pushed hard and rest was out of the question. Careful planning, great riding partners, cooperation, and respect. No "free agents", no show boating. We operated as we did in military operations during my Army service years. Incidentally, the "kid" of the group is 59 years old (point man), we other 3 are in our 60s. Compared to "Interstate" distance rides in my past, this was much more challenging. Great ride! We'll find another to conquer.

My problem is that my riding crew is still working. I was blessed with stage 4 cancer, was involuntarily retired, and didn't die. Time to ride!
God worked in mysterious ways.

mike77

Premier Member
wow, we have similar stories, lymphoma ,in 2014. wasn't our time!! heaven to hell(Pikes Peak to Death Valley)is a cool ride ,I like the gold version..

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I rode this last summer. It was a great ride. I recommend doing northeast Iowa in the daylight. That's the most scenic and technical part.

Do you really need to start at a required city? What if you started in Estherville and ended there but stopped at all the required cities in order per the list?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Do you really need to start at a required city? What if you started in Estherville and ended there but stopped at all the required cities in order per the list?
The rules state "You may start at any required city. " To be a bit more clear, you must start at a required city, but you may start at any one of them.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

this is a great ride. I wouldn't change a thing.
You can leave from anywhere, but the clock doesn't start until you get to a required city and finish in the same.