Ride Around the Big Paddock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatman

Copied from your "welcome to IBA Aust thread.

G'day Bam, welcome and I look forward seeing your ride plans unfold.

When Lynne the Pillion and I rode the "Around the paddock" a few years back we did it anti clockwise, mainly because as we started in Melbourne Vic, and we wanted to get Sydney NSW and Brisbane Qld out of the way early in the ride.

Apart from nutrition, hydration, sleep management, Aussie outback business closing times and all the other multi day IBA ride considerations, I found a ride schedule with achievable (for us and your requirements will no doubt vary) ETA's and ETD's to be crucial. And we tried as much as we could to stick to it, of course problems jump out at you from time to time and then plan B has to be done on the run.

As Ed indicated there are a couple of interviews about the lap on Justin Long's "Long Riders Radio" with Ox and another with LTP and I, if you are interested have a listen.

Ox's interview - https://podtail.com/podcast/long-riders-radio/54-peter-hogan-s-lap-around-the-paddock/

Ours - https://podbay.fm/p/long-riders-radio/e/1593387245

LTP's and my ride report here: https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.ph...g-paddock-around-australia-on-highway-1.3211/

As it turns out my forum Avatar shows our lap as recorded with Spot tracking at the time.

Good luck with the planning Bam.

Bam

Premier Member
Copied from your "welcome to IBA Aust thread.

G'day Bam, welcome and I look forward seeing your ride plans unfold.

When Lynne the Pillion and I rode the "Around the paddock" a few years back we did it anti clockwise, mainly because as we started in Melbourne Vic, and we wanted to get Sydney NSW and Brisbane Qld out of the way early in the ride.

Apart from nutrition, hydration, sleep management, Aussie outback business closing times and all the other multi day IBA ride considerations, I found a ride schedule with achievable (for us and your requirements will no doubt vary) ETA's and ETD's to be crucial. And we tried as much as we could to stick to it, of course problems jump out at you from time to time and then plan B has to be done on the run.

As Ed indicated there are a couple of interviews about the lap on Justin Long's "Long Riders Radio" with Ox and another with LTP and I, if you are interested have a listen.

Ox's interview - https://podtail.com/podcast/long-riders-radio/54-peter-hogan-s-lap-around-the-paddock/

Ours - https://podbay.fm/p/long-riders-radio/e/1593387245

LTP's and my ride report here: https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.ph...g-paddock-around-australia-on-highway-1.3211/

As it turns out my forum Avatar shows our lap as recorded with Spot tracking at the time.

Good luck with the planning Bam.
Sincerely appreciated. The input has been incredible. I have my plan pretty much finalized now and I've received excellent input here, from the Australia IBA leadership, and a few close friends who live in the Sydney and Perth areas. As you mention above, I was also advised to knock off Sydney, Melbourne, and Adelaide early in the run. Since I am starting in Sydney, I will be running clockwise. I leave Sydney at 12:01 am on October 2. I will post my Spotwalla tracker and other information in a separate thread.

Bam

Premier Member
Friends. I wanted to start by saying how much I appreciate the love and support I have received from the entire Australia IBA community! I have received invaluable advice, constructive criticism, words of encouragement, and many offers of support. I am so looking forward to this trip and this challenge.

Not sure if I have mentioned this in prior posts, but this trip is in celebration of my 60th trip around the sun and my gift to myself. I have always dreamed of visiting your country, and I am beyond grateful to have this opportunity to see it this way. It is not lost on me that I will miss a lot of the beauty and nuance of Australia, and the opportunity to get to know some of you better, but this kind of riding is my passion (my wife says defect!) and my way of seeing the world. I promise to come back again when I retire for a trip at a more leisurely pace.

I have received several requests from folks asking if they can join me for parts of the ride. So, I thought it might be useful to address that here. I have absolutely no objection to anyone joining me on any of this ride. I have attached my itinerary, and this is my Spotwalla link so you can see roughly where I expect to be and when. My tracker is satellite-based, so it should generally be pretty accurate and up-to-date.

I should also mention that I am keenly aware that plans break. I am not beholden to this one. If I change it, I will try and post an update here, and on my Facebook page. Exceptions will be posted as cell coverage permits. If you don't see an update, something catastrophic has happened, or everything is going pretty much as planned. Please know that I am not afraid to abort this challenge if I have to. I will let you know if that has happened as well.

Here is my only request for those of you who wish to join in. Please understand that I have to ride my ride. My stops will be fast. I generally eat and drink while I'm rolling. I have to roll when I'm ready. I will be going on 4-5 hours sleep most days. I can't sacrifice 15 minutes of that to socialize. I do hope you understand. I am the friendliest guy you will ever meet, but this is as tough a challenge as I've ever done, and I need to stay focused on the goal.

For those of you in the Sydney area, my wife and I will be staying in the Sydney area for a few days after I finish. We would love to meet you then if you want to join us for a beer. Just email me, and we can make plans.

That's all I can think of for now. Peace!

Attachments

Ed.

Premier Member
This will be an epic trip, Bam! I really like the way you have laid it out, gets the slower cities out of the way early and gives you a very straight forward run on the last day - you may not be able to make back time on that last stretch but it is probably the longest/best section of dual lane, interstate-style road on the whole loop. But you probably know this already.

I will be watching with interest and, as I am sure you know, if you have any dramas of any sort just sing out on here. Plenty of people with contacts all over the country.

Ride well!

Bam

Premier Member
Oh, and I'm currently up north about 100km SE of Kununurra, it is already starting to get plenty warm up here (35-36 °C most days and not dropping below ~20° at night) and the humidity is building rapidly. Reckon it might be pretty rugged in 3 weeks time, be prepared!
Yes. That is definitely warm Ed! I've done a fair bit of riding in the southern US in similar or even higher temps (but admittedly without that tropical humidity). It won't be pleasant. I always carry a gallon of water for hydration and have become pretty adept at managing my thermal cooling. All that's said, I expect this will be something I haven't quite experienced before.

Dicky Knee

Bam - I may be able to ride with you from Bunbury (thru Perth) and out to Muchea on 4th October.
Prior commitments prevent me from travelling further with you.
If I was to 'meet' you at the Shell (Northbound) @ Bunbury - do you want me leading you, or sitting on your six?
(I'll have a 2007 Blue/Silver FJR1300)

HACKLE

Bam, as others have suggested meeting you on the road I also would be able to meet you at Eden and see you safely to Bairnsdale [where I live] and onward to Melbourne. Black Triumph Trophy with "reasonable" lighting for night riding. Leading or following I don't mind, your call. Cheers.

Bam

Premier Member
Bam, as others have suggested meeting you on the road I also would be able to meet you at Eden and see you safely to Bairnsdale [where I live] and onward to Melbourne. Black Triumph Trophy with "reasonable" lighting for night riding. Leading or following I don't mind, your call. Cheers.
That would be awesome Hackle. Look forward to meeting you!

Status
Not open for further replies.