Ride Around the Carolinas Question

Hello all. I, and perhaps a few others are planning to do this ride in a few months from now and noticed a discrepancy in the ride description. Here goes: there is a list of several towns/cities in North and South Carolina that I believe to be the route intended for riders to use. However, when looking at the map that is displayed on the IBA website two towns are in question; High Point, NC is listed as one of the required towns to visit yet it's not shown on the map. Likewise, North Augusta, South Carolina is listed as one of the required towns to visit yet it's not shown on the map either. Finally, Lexington, NC is shown on the map but not on the list of required cities to visit. Which is correct? To visit all cities/towns listed or to follow the displayed map?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Bruce Harris, Jr.
Burlington, NC
IBA #8757

Last edited:

CB650F

Premier Member
North Augusta is on the state's border, and it written into the description of the ride, so I'd highly recommend getting a DBR there. Lexington and High Point are pretty close. High Point is likely the one you'd need because it's in the description. I assume the map is an earlier version of the ride and simply didn't get updated by the time the ride was finalized. The map found in ride descriptions is, I think, just for reference and not a binding requirement. The ride's description is what actually matters.

I assume you are talking about this Ride Around the Carolinas ride. I suspect Ira will be around shortly to give us a proper clarification. He's typically the go-to guy for things like that.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Your must ride to each of the cities on the list. The route you take between the cities is up to you, no withstanding the route depicted on the map.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

As I live in South Carolina, I am intrigued by the "Ride Around South Carolina" ride. Looking at the listed jurisdictions, I noticed that Charleston is listed 3 times. I could see twice as you have to go to Columbia from Charleston and return to Charleston but why 3?

Hi there and welcome. Hope you can join us in High Point, NC for the start and finish of the 'Ride Around the Carolinas'. Charleston, SC is listed only once, as it should be. I do not know where you saw it listed three times. On the official IBA website under Ride Certifications and listed in 'Ride Around the Carolinas' you will find/see Charleston, SC listed one time as are the other required towns/cities. Smoke it over and hope to see ya in High Point!

Thanks for the welcome and the invitation.

I'm not referring to the "Ride Around the Carolinas." If you look at the "Ride Around South Carolina" link (in post #2), directly under the map is a list of the jurisdictions one is required to visit. The first listed location is Charleston as the third from the last location and the last location.

You must obtain the receipts in the order listed. Either order (clock or counter-clock) is fine but they must be in order, e.g. Dillon MUST come immediately before or after North Myrtle Beach. You must visit Columbia FROM Charleston and RETURN to Charleston.

From the above, it appears to get to a 1000 miles a double back is required. Hence the three visits to Charleston to document corners correctly.

I'm not trying to argue. I really appreciate someone taking the time to put this together. I'm just trying to understand so I can comply with the instructions. It would seem the designer started/ended in Charleston? That would explain why Charleston is listed 3 times.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
South Carolina is not that large a state. To make a 1000-mile ride that follows the general outline of the state, a certain routing needed to be followed. The jog from Charleston to Columbia and back is to get the necessary mileage.

Hence...

Charleston to Columbia (starting waypoint in Charleston)...

Back to Charleston (2nd Charleston waypoint)...

Then all the way around the state and finishing back in Charleston (3rd Charleston waypoint).

Shawn K

Premier Member
Y'know, this does beg the question...

@Ira - I live right off I-85 in the northwest corner of SC (Spartanburg area). I could follow that routing all the same (with the Charleston-Columbia-Charleston leg included), hit every required waypoint, cover the same distance, and finish the ride 5 minutes from my house.

Can that be submitted as a "Ride Around South Carolina", or is that start/end at Charleston non-negotiable (meaning that I'd only be able to submit is as a standard SS1000)?

Not asking for special favors, I'm just seeking clarification on what the exact parameters are of a "Ride Around South Carolina".

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
The rules do not require you to start/end in Charleston. The rules state:

"You must start at any required city. You must start and end the ride at the same location, i.e. same DBR."

So you could, for example, start and end in Clemson.

All the exact parameters can be found on the ride's rules page, at

https://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/rasc/

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Shawn K

Premier Member
Ahh, okay. I read past the sentence about "You must start at any required city" (emphasis), saw that Charleston was marked as waypoint A on the map, and concluded that Charleston was the start point.

I did read the page before, but missed that sentence. That's my fault. Thanks for the clarification.