Ride report: My April '22 SS4000 with a CC50 included

J-Luv

I've never posted a ride report before. I wrote this one mostly for my own pleasure and have shared it on the k1600 forum. Since this forum has been a fertile place for my ride aspirations, I thought it appropriate to share it here. The following is the intro I wrote on that forum

I recently received my certificates for my SS4000 which included a CC50. This is the ride that I made en route to the TotD event this year. I put together a document to share some of my experiences. It's a bit long; 21 pages. It might not be something for everyone. But if you're curious and have a moment or two, you're invited to find the pdf via the link below.

Not everything went as planned on the trip. The weather challenges will not be soon forgotten. They were approaching the extreme more than once. That's why they play such a key role in the report. But the weather isn't the story. It's the ride. It's the adventure. It's the experience.

It's not easy telling a story full of risks that I wouldn't probably take if not on a ride with a time and distance goal included. I certainly would not have encouraged another rider or passenger to endure it with me. I would not have subjected them to potential peer pressure to continue simply to accomplish the goal. But I weighed the risks as best I could and I proved successful. With that in mind, I am opening myself up to criticism, and much of it due. But, if you want to critique my decision making process and the weighted values I employed, that might be best done over a plate of food, preferably tacos or bbq, across the table from each other, maybe while taking a break during a day ride together. I'm not looking for that kind of feedback here.

That said, I hope you enjoy reliving some of the ride with me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7g9cnnt2vkes7m5/My CC50 nested in a SS4000, ride report.pdf?dl=0

Jim Craig

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Nice write up. I did a 50CC this year with a SS1000 on the front end and a BBG to get back home. Thankfully I never ran into the severe weather you did. The roughest part of my trip in June was the 107 degree temps crossing the desert in Arizona and southern California. My ride ended up at a bit over 5200 miles and while I finished in a bit over 4 days, I can't imagine how long it would have taken if I'd ran into the weather you did. You kept going through weather that would have caused many riders to give up. Who knows, maybe someday you will ride in the IBR.