Ride to Eat nr 2 2017 San Marino

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
Lynn's comment should be taken seriously: check the weather forecast for your intended route. I was contemplating heading down via Innsbruck, but the forecast for the Brenner pass for Friday is a high of 2C, a low of -4C, and snow. A route down through Switzerland to Lugano may be okay; further west, the route Google prefers goes via Chamonix and past Mont Blanc: a high of 2 and a serious low of -9C on Friday, with rain and snow. I may well decide to be a wimp, blast down the autoroute via Lyon and Chambery and aim to get close to Turin for my evening stop.

Regards,
Martin

Thanks for the update Lynn, I've switched route to southern one now via Lyon. Booked in here for friday night
HOTEL SAN GIORGIO
Via S Giorgio 41
10090 SANGANO
ITALY

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
Hi Mike,

Looks like a decent spot - I've also booked the San Giorgio. I was looking at an Ibis Styles in Turin itself, but this is cheaper and almost cerrainly easier to get to! See you on Friday.

Regards,
Martin

jaybee

Latvian rider transport!!!!!!
Premier Member
Jon C, Jonny P and JB have also re-routed. We were going the Chamonix route, overnighting in Aosta but it is snowing around Chamonix / Mont Blanc with a huge dump expected over the next couple of days. According to a buddy who lives in Zurich, it is snowing hard there now.
We are now going down toward Lyon then turning right for Chambéry and following the valley toward Turin and then SM.
Sunshine and showers with temps at around 13C. Turin is 19C and sunny.
Jonny P - if you don't hear from JON12A, he has cancelled the Aosta room (I phoned the hotel and they allowed free cancellation) and I have re-booked us 3 rooms at the Serendipity Hotel in Oulx.

http://www.booking.com/Share-KkkKYW

"Jonny P - if you don't hear from JON12A, he has cancelled the Aosta room (I phoned the hotel and they allowed free cancellation) and I have re-booked us 3 rooms at the Serendipity Hotel in Oulx."

JB... Did you tell them, you were booking 3 rooms for 3 blokes all named Jon.... :rolleyes:

That hot tub looks good.... Can't wait...

:)

pihlo

12 Days? 12Days!
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Snowing in Zürich has stoppt at lunch time this day. Now everything is only wet. Forcast looks..... Ok

Martex

Sorry I've got to drop out. Just been taken in for an emergency tooth extraction.
Face is too swollen to do my helmet up. I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself.
On the plus side Saturday night at the Titano is paid for if any one wants the
room and breakfast.
If I owe any money for the meal or parking let me know and i'll settle up.
Gutted
Martin Grafton

Scott Miller

An American in Europe
Premier Member
We meet on april 29,2017 at the cablecar station say 15.30 latest and take cablecar to the top to make the pic at 16.00 sharp!
Cablecar San Marino Citta ,Funivia Borgo Maggiore N43 56.420 E 12 26.742
Hi All, if I arrive early enough I will plan on meeting you at the top instead of riding the cable car. My plans are to leave early enough tomorrow afternoon to minimize significant traffic delays through the Gotthard tunnel, spend the night at my son's apartment in Lugano and then head to San Marino. Weather forecast south of the Alps on Saturday looks great.:)

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Looks like snow is moving away to the west. There will be a storm coming in on Sunday . I'm expecting to ride through it. There may be warm showers in San Marino.

I dislike riding through switzerland as they think the motorways only have an outside lane!!!!

I'll be turning left at Lyon for San Marino .

I'll be leaving work in Swindon around 16.30 for the chunnel

SPOT tracker now active
https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=1406e58ff424a3dd35&scale=on&zoom=default&refresh=no

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Chain came off in Italy. 2 nights hotel on Carol Nash. Bike chain fixed Tuesday. Holiday here too on Monday. All part of life's adventure.

Hampe

Not Right Rider
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Ouch!
I know the feeling: I snapped a chain a couple of years ago,

...on my way to The Alpenmarathon.

Much drama!

We do have the "like" button, but that one does not qualify right now.
I'll hit this one instead.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Recovery company picking me up in morning on the way to bike shop. Snow here this morning but it's cleared now. Forecast rain tomorrow. I'm 10 miles from Mont Blanc tunnel in Courmeyeur. Had to change hotels as 1st one closed today as its the end of the winter season. Summer season starts 1st June. It's a bank holiday here too. Yes scottoiler but I think I lost track of he age of the chain

flyingrasb

Premier Member
Good run back from SM, woke up at 3am so decided to make tracks then. Calais Ibis for the night and caught an early tunnel this morning. Well done Michael for organising. Enjoy your extended holiday Phil. I hope to make Andorra in October.
Baz