Role of Cruise ?

AyrtonO

Premier Member
Since I know, different continents have way different styles and way different roads, so would point this question primarily to europeans - how do yu see role of having cruise control in your bike, for long distance riding generally, IBA rides, multi-day rallies? A must? Totally optional? Or some other points of view?

Just thinking how happy I would be putting some extra euros for proper cruise in my GSA...

P

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Like Heat Grips it seems an option that until you regularly use it you will never find the full benefit, but that can't do without once it becomes part of your day/multi-day riding rhythm.

I would look at the advantages and disadvantages for your self using one .. if you have a throttle lock on at the moment, then the biggest advantage to go electronic is the auto compensation for head winds and hills to adjust to the conditions.

Right arm hand and shoulder exercise on the move can be done at a flick of a switch...

Speed limits through towns/villages and road works keep you on target all of the time. (Not in high traffic)

Speed Limits on Motorways/Autobahn and toll roads are kept to the maximum.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I agree with all that Ziggy says and would add one thing.

Most of us can ride one big day without any form of cruise control. Where I find the cruise invaluable is tomorrow morning getting back on again and not having the pain and cramps from yesterday - at all.

For multi-day rides I think a cruise control whether mechanical or electronic is a must. Electronic is best for the reasons Ziggy says.

(plus pack a mechanical one for just in case.... ;))

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I have electronic cruise on my voyager, throttle lock on my klr, the throttle lock is a pain in the arse to keep a constant speed, I did a rally in April on my klr and had bad shoulder pain from holding the throttle all day in a strong head wind, it's been two months and it still aches, so cruise is very valuable to me.

pihlo

12 Days? 12Days!
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I add an Mccruise control (electronic) on my PAN snd will never ride without. I use it when ever possible. I can ride more relaxt (special in CH where the rules and fees for speedviolation are verry verry cost intensive)

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
I added a Rostra on my ST1100. It was mostly a safety issue. I was watching my speedo way too much to keep my speed down - I should have been watching the traffic and road ahead of me more , but the ST1100 is so smooth the speed would creep up and before I knew it, I was going way too fast. The Rostra doesn't work perfectly, but it isn't that bad. And the price was right. It took some work to install ( adapt ) , since it's aftermarket for the auto's.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>Most of us can ride one big day without any form of cruise control. Where I find the cruise invaluable is tomorrow morning getting back on again and not having the pain and cramps from yesterday - at all.<...>
I'd like to think this is probably the universal answer; regardless of your location or ride you're on.

Even on a "flower sniffing" (touring) ride, having that cruise control can really mitigate a small amount of overall fatigue one might experience while under way.

AyrtonO

Premier Member
Yes, seems my July project will be installing cruise on my GSA. McCruise is definitely most specialized, but but...double price to Rostra installation - which is also proven to work quite well - is a lot. Maybe too much. Actually worst part in Rostra is control panel, the buttons, which are made for car use only. McCruise has made own one, way better for bikes and even perfectly stylished and fitting to GS. To Rostra, can add Trailtech's handlebar switches, but they are still bit soso solution....

Baxter

I've never had a cruise control, either mechanical or electronic. I've been using a throttle boss to good effect. But I've been curious about cruise on motorcycles.

My question for those of us who have used either kind of cruise control is this: do you ever find that the cruise control masks or hides the fact that you are getting tired from yourself? In my experience, one of the first clues that I need a rest/hydration/food is that my speed is no longer constant without an external reason such as traffic.

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've never had a cruise control, either mechanical or electronic. I've been using a throttle boss to good effect. But I've been curious about cruise on motorcycles.

My question for those of us who have used either kind of cruise control is this: do you ever find that the cruise control masks or hides the fact that you are getting tired from yourself? In my experience, one of the first clues that I need a rest/hydration/food is that my speed is no longer constant without an external reason such as traffic.
Good Point Baxter and I've adjusted the way I monitor myself for the Fatigue etc.
Concentration is a good one which when it starts to go I know I'ts time to think of a power nap. At this point I don't use the cruise and also start to do speed and distance calculations in my head for the few fuel stops to see how I'm doing.
also at this point ..
MCCruise system also allow you to use the throttle above the set point example 5 - 10 mph so setting the speed at 65mph then manual add the 5mph when you feel the cruise cut in you know your not constant...
other trick's you learn by using it and work out what works for yourself which may not work for others.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Cruise control is a double-edged sword.

It may mask the signs of fatigue Baxter, though Ziggy has shared a way to avoid that, but it also can reduce and/or delay the onset of fatigue. I've ridden thousands of miles in the USA where from my experience it is less critical, but here in Oz it can sap lots of your attention just scanning for police and constantly monitoring road speed.

You never completely abdicate responsibility for your speed to the cruise control, but it takes less effort to just keep an occasional eye on the gizmo as you are riding.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
My question for those of us who have used either kind of cruise control is this: do you ever find that the cruise control masks or hides the fact that you are getting tired from yourself?
Oh, no...

Fatigue sets in many different ways. Even to click off the cruise and go into manual mode for ten minutes; forcing yourself to take control over that one small function, can let you know. Many other means to determine fatigue are also in the book of wisdom and knowledge.

<...>You never completely abdicate responsibility for your speed to the cruise control, but it takes less effort to just keep an occasional eye on the gizmo as you are riding.
Right. That effort is spent in doing those mental calculations, comparing that - the non-stop trip computer function we all do in our heads while on the clock.

Last edited: