Route documenting and mileage padding

We're about ready to try our first SS1000. We have planned a route that goes from Fresno to Vegas. I have two questions:

1. There's a spot or two where we avoid the most direct route in order to add miles, but we don't have a stop planned. Is it recommended to plan a gas stop in order to document the longer route?

2. Our route is 1015 miles. Do you recommend trying to add some "padding" miles in case Google maps is wrong or something?

Here is our proposed route: https://goo.gl/maps/2aG2mhmm2Qq

Thanks!

Ignacio

IBR Finisher
1. Other than the start and ending, the obvious corners to me seem like Sacramento and Beaver. I'd get fuel receipts at those for sure to document the "corners". Your Truckee receipt or one in Reno is going to preclude that you cut through Carson City. And since you're on 50 for so long (350 miles is the limit for a SS mileage)...any receipts on there would demonstrate the ride.

2. 15 miles might be a bit tight. I would also look at the Baker, NV part. Technically it's shorter to go through Baker on 487 and would shave 1-2 miles off your figure. But, I'd also note that Baker has 24 hour fuel. It's a popular place for LD folks wanting to do in-state BBGs including this weekend. You might consider choosing Davis instead of Sacramento to add 10 miles or so as that's an easy corner to move with numerous fuel options. The Utah side not so much... And when you get to Vegas--you might not want to slog down past your well-earned hotel bed to Henderson.

And that's a fun ride across 50 and a burger at Middlegate (depending on your timing) is one of the fondest memories I have of LD riding.

Paul Knight

Premier Member
You will need a receipt at each "corner" or spot on the route that takes you off the most direct path.

I am not a scorer but if they put in the address on your receipts and the route is under 1000 I can see where this would cause a problem.

A Spotwalla tracking map might help you in this case but I could imagine that for obvious reasons they could be concerned with any cutting of any corners.

I did an instate FL ss1000 a few years ago that was a "sanctioned" event and the organizers gave us specific places to get fuel that assured that we got the entire 1000+ miles inside the state of FL

Good luck with your ride.

You will need a receipt at each "corner" or spot on the route that takes you off the most direct path.

I am not a scorer but if they put in the address on your receipts and the route is under 1000 I can see where this would cause a problem.

Good luck with your ride.
Thanks! Based on these replies, I've altered the route a tad and we now have a 27 mile buffer. I'm also tagging stations that we'll definitely need to get receipts from to document the route we took. Honestly, I wish this whole thing would move into the 21st century and let us do the ride with an iPhone app or just send in the GPS logs. But oh well. :)

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Thanks! Based on these replies, I've altered the route a tad and we now have a 27 mile buffer. I'm also tagging stations that we'll definitely need to get receipts from to document the route we took. Honestly, I wish this whole thing would move into the 21st century and let us do the ride with an iPhone app or just send in the GPS logs. But oh well. :)
We think those sorts of things are very good additional documentation, but I don't think we'll be moving to a fully automated system anytime soon - just too many ways to "cheat". iPhone apps, GPS logs, and satellite tracks tell us a route was taken, but it doesn't tell us by whom or driving/riding what. Requiring witnesses and documentation from multiple sources is better than a single documentation source.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Paul Knight

Premier Member
I have not had a single problem getting a receipt or a witness anywhere.

I did an impromptu ss1000 coming back to Orlando from West Texas. I decided while I was in my hotel just the night before.

I ran down to the hotel lobby and asked the hotel clerk to print out the witness form.

She signed it and I got another guest to sign as well. I also attached my hotel receipt as proof of where I was that night.

I headed WEST early in the morning to start my ride (yes away from home) to get an additional 20 miles distance from home, got my receipt and that started my location and clock.

When I got home I got my gas receipt from a local gas station and the following day I had a few neighbors sign my ending form.

I also use my iPhone to track to spotwalla as well as evidence, but the iPhone is only backup to backup...

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>2. Our route is 1015 miles. Do you recommend trying to add some "padding" miles in case Google maps is wrong or something?
You've already received good answers...

In some planning I've done on rides, to be sure I have adequate mileage, I've deviated from the next 'point a to b' on a route to a location indirect in order to pad miles.

Must be certain the 24 hour fuel is really open to snag that specific receipt - as not being credited for ~40 miles could really screw over a ride. Especially at hour 21 or so. :/

Rony6ble

Premier Member
Previous advice is really good.

I think this is part of the enchantment of a ride, taking time to get the witness forms, check every receipt, specially those "corners". I like the planning portion as much as the riding, calling a gas station in advance to verify they only open from 5am to 8pm is something good to know.

Good luck with your ride and report back...