Route mapping for beginners

Hi, new forum member here.
I'm looking to do my first SS1000 and I've roughly planned a route which follows the RBLR South route but redirected to start and stop at a fuel station near my house in Telford.
When using google maps, there is no longer an option to find the shortest route. So my question is; when the route is being verified (using fuel station reciepts) what software is being used to calculate the shortest distance between points? I just dont want to do the ride (1046 miles on google) only to find out that the shortest route between the points is calculated as less.
Thanks,
Paul.

Firstpeke

As do I.... normally I would use Tyre to do everything but it has been giving me some issues since the last update.

I rough out my route using Google maps then plot it on ITN or Tyre if it is behaving, then import to the Garmin from Tyre.

As most folk probably do, I usually allow a minimum of 50 miles extra on a SS1000 and a bit more on longer ones.

Not had a ride knocked back...... yet.

Ian M

id go north for the first one and get it out of the way a lot simpler than battling west wales, the southern parts of britain and east anglia and being worried about time/dark/traffic/lack of progress

pop across to Peterborough, up to berwick, edinburgh, inverness, fort william, glasgow via stirling, carlisle, stafford, home

a bit boring mway for the dark sections but perhaps a little easier

id go north for the first one and get it out of the way a lot simpler than battling west wales, the southern parts of britain and east anglia and being worried about time/dark/traffic/lack of progress

pop across to Peterborough, up to berwick, edinburgh, inverness, fort william, glasgow via stirling, carlisle, stafford, home

a bit boring mway for the dark sections but perhaps a little easier
Hmm, I see what you're saying, keep more on motorway. I'm very familiar with the route from Loch Lomond to home so although it could be boring I might not be clock watching so much. Thanks for the advice.

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
...or grab your start receipt in Telford and hop onto the northern clockwise RBLR route at M61 grabbing receipts at Rivington, Fort William, Wick, Dreghorn Link and Berwick on the way to a finish receipt at Squires. That's more or less a 25:50:25 split of Motorway:A Roads:Motorway which, with an early doors start, should leave you on the A1 and A1(M) for any after sunset mileage.

Capt Sisko

Hi Paul, I'm just down the road from you, just south of Shrewsbury. If you're think of going to any of the RTE meetings or doing the RBLR ride next year give drop me a note if you'd like some company.

I’m at Junction 1 M18 … so JOG and back seems the simplest option with a few miles buffer …Or save 30 minutes by going to Thurso ….

Last edited:

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
Sound advice right here
As most folk probably do, I usually allow a minimum of 50 miles extra on a SS1000
Landsurfer74's route...
I’m at Junction 1 M18 … so JOG and back seems the simplest option with a few miles buffer …Or save 30 minutes by going to Thurso ….
...had a short feel about it, so I calculated it using ITNConverter

Start and finish receipt at Shell Garage (24 hour fuel) Bawtry Rd, Hellaby S66 8EY (M18 junction 1)
to JOG and back via A1(M), A68, A720, A90, M90, A9 and A89
and it weighed in at 996 miles in 19 hours plus fuel and comfort breaks, and that was not the shortest route!

You could make it work by adding a corner receipt at the Berwick-upon-Tweed Shell 24hr Fuel Station (North Road, Berwick-upon-Tweed TD15 1QQ) which keeps you off the shorter A68 route, this adds about a 20 mile buffer each way with no loss of time. A corner receipt at JOG can be a challenge after hours so having added a corner receipt at Berwick-upon-Tweed you could then shorten the JOG corner to the Wick Tesco 24hr Fuel Station (A99 north of Wick KW1 4QS) and you're still on target at 1009.2 miles in 18½ hours plus fuel and comfort breaks.

Disclaimer, blah, blah, blah, 9.2 miles is a short buffer so you may want to either tweak the corners or have the route pre-verified.

Sound advice right here

Landsurfer74's route...

...had a short feel about it, so I calculated it using ITNConverter

Start and finish receipt at Shell Garage (24 hour fuel) Bawtry Rd, Hellaby S66 8EY (M18 junction 1)
to JOG and back via A1(M), A68, A720, A90, M90, A9 and A89
and it weighed in at 996 miles in 19 hours plus fuel and comfort breaks, and that was not the shortest route!

You could make it work by adding a corner receipt at the Berwick-upon-Tweed Shell 24hr Fuel Station (North Road, Berwick-upon-Tweed TD15 1QQ) which keeps you off the shorter A68 route, this adds about a 20 mile buffer each way with no loss of time. A corner receipt at JOG can be a challenge after hours so having added a corner receipt at Berwick-upon-Tweed you could then shorten the JOG corner to the Wick Tesco 24hr Fuel Station (A99 north of Wick KW1 4QS) and you're still on target at 1009.2 miles in 18½ hours plus fuel and comfort breaks.

Disclaimer, blah, blah, blah, 9.2 miles is a short buffer so you may want to either tweak the corners or have the route pre-verified.
I'm thinking ...Thurso, then JOG and Wick then return via B-u-T and Newcastle ... Tyne Tunnel A19 to A1M Dishforth ...
Or ...
Start from Markham Vale Services (Junction 29A M1), Doncaster M18, A1 Scotch Corner, Penrith, Thurso, Wick and back to Junction 1 M18 ... or Junction 29 M1
Pre verified is a definite..

Let’s be honest… I’ll record all my travel , try my best to understand and adhere to the rules and if someone says “No” … ill still have done 1000 miles in 24 hours …

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Let’s be honest… I’ll record all my travel , try my best to understand and adhere to the rules and if someone says “No” … ill still have done 1000 miles in 24 hours …
Well, actually, no, you wouldn't have. That's the point of the external documentation and review. No one is trying to deny you, they work hard to prove that you indeed did ride the miles. Part of your job is to make their job easy and provide the documentation that shows your ride. If you get rejected, then you came close, but failed to actually ride 1000 miles in 24 hours.

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Well, actually, no, you wouldn't have. That's the point of the external documentation and review. No one is trying to deny you, they work hard to prove that you indeed did ride the miles. Part of your job is to make their job easy and provide the documentation that shows your ride. If you get rejected, then you came close, but failed to actually ride 1000 miles in 24 hours.
Landsurfer74 may have ridden over 1000 miles. The point of verification is to prove you rode 1000 miles. They would still have ridden 1000 miles but are unable to accurately document it.

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
Landsurfer74 you're over thinking this, keep in mind you're goal is to complete an Iron Butt (SS1000) Challenge.

Remember when planning and adding way points to achieve the 1,000 miles you're adding corners which require corner receipts which add time, it can be a loss, loss, loss. Using the Hellaby Shell to Wick via Berwick and back as a case study. The required receipts would be Hellaby Shell (start), Berwick (corner), Wick (corner), Berwick (corner) and Hellaby (finish). The point in adding a way point and 'corner receipt' at Berwick is to achieve the 1,000 miles and satisfy Verification that you didn't take the shorter A68 route.

Good luck and hope to see you and Paul M added to the IBA UK Roll of Honour some time soon.

Last edited: