Route Planning

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Plan your ride
Ride the plan

Plan to complete the ride with 3 or 4 hours to spare. You can use the time at the end to fix a puncture, to rest if needed or to take a detour off a closed motorway.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Ask yourself.
Do I have a plan that tels me where I should be on my route?
Its easier to eat an elephant in small chunks rather all in one go.

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
I have a plan, but when 3 satnavs from the same company, with the latest revision tell me different eta's, it's hard to know where I should be at what time. Must say the Garmin Nav VI (BMW) is the most accurate with ETA, the others seem to adjust as I get closer, or are slower learners!

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Well, of course, I'm not riding right, hell I've been trying for 44 years!
Match the speed to the ETA? that means the Speed in my BC is wrong, but the category's in BC don't reflect European roads, too vague. Who can do the National Speed Limit down country roads? Well Daz probably could, but I like my license and want to stick around a little longer to try and master this riding thing :eek:

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have two Zumo 660s. If i keep them both on the tiger and ride just UK roads they get very accurate and even show the same route.
If I put one on the Grom eventually it learns that I'm going slower and predicts a longer time.
If I ride across europe it eventually learns that I can maintain a better average than in the UK and I always get everywhere early.
When I return to the UK I then get every where late.
It then takes several weeks and/or several 1000 miles for the sat navs to get into sync again.

So the answer is always ride at the same pace on the same sorts of roads and they will be accurate.

Of course they still have not sussed out that we need to stop at traffic lights!!!!!
A road with traffic lights will always loose time against your sat nav.