Routing advice for the northeast (48/10)

DrNeo

Premier Member
I have the EZ pass from Illinois. It worked great last year on our 48/10, 100% success rate actually. I have it mounted on the windshield with velcro. This year I hit one gate that didn't budge, just had to use the intercom and read the number off the transmitter. In the future, I'll have that number in my tank bag just in case.

I hope to see more toll roads go to rolling style tolls - just pick up my transponder or license plate as I drive by, no need to stop!

One thing to watch out for is some places that issue the transponders will also have a yearly fee, whether you use the transponder or not. Illinois does not, but they also don't issue a motorcycle specific transponder either.

Kith

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I originally used an EZ Pass holder on my Tenere crossbar a few inches behind the windshield but it didnt seem to work very well. I ended up using the velcro and attached directly to my windshield and never had a problem. Seems it needs to be up front and facing forward for the best results

Kith

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
In the future, I'll have that number in my tank bag just in case.
Or you can take a sharpie and write the number on the back (the side facing you) and can call it out if necessary

Tep_52

Premier Member
I live in delaware and just did a ride to new Hampshire this spring. I found that leaving delaware and heading north at about 4:30am I was able to breeze through all of the big citys with no major issues. As far as the ezpass goes I would recommend either nc or Virginia both have a motorcycle specific version and are easy to deal with out of state.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I live in delaware and just did a ride to new Hampshire this spring. I found that leaving delaware and heading north at about 4:30am I was able to breeze through all of the big citys with no major issues.
That seems to be the consensus. Thus, finding those 24 hour stop locations for the early-in-the-day might be wise.

Your comment didn't mention if you were riding on a weekday or a weekend day to be successful.

"Or you can take a sharpie and write the number on the back (the side facing you)"
Just an FYI. in Massachusetts if you mark up the transponder they consider it damaged and charge you it's cost when you turn it in.