RTE Calais including Dambusters SS1000 ride Saturday 23rd March 2019 01:45 departure.

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Much talked about since Calais last Christmas. Trip flags issued at Hotel. 02:00 hrs Run from Scunthorpe Premier inn (suggest a room here for Friday 22) to Scampton 02:30 (group photo) Then to Eurotunnel( 06:20 train). Across to Ruhr valley via vicinity of Rotterdam. Individual photos in front of dams. Then back to Calais for debrief after run. (Suggest room at Ibis Styles, Calais arrive about 21:30) Verification distance about 1002 miles.
Specific ss1000 Dambusters ride patch planned. Petrol station corner locations and photo op locations will be provided.
Last guaranteed access to EU prior to Brexit!!!!!

Those interested post. I will start a provisional list. Patch will be about £5.00 Up front. Details to follow.

Premier Inn Gadwall Way, Scunthorpe.
£46.00 flex (as of 25/10/18)
£36.00 flex (as of 25/11/18)
Eurotunnel 06:20hrs 23/03/19 Out, overnight return £30
Ibis Styles, Calais Centre.

Patch shown below, thanks to GarminDave for his inspired design.

Actual Patcjh.JPG

Every rider who completes the ride will receive a one off Dambusters 1000 certificate, a commemorative patch and verification of their ride. The ride fee will be £35 of which £10 will be donated to the Poppy Appeal. Riders who are not Iron Butt Members can take part in the ride and by completing it will become life time Iron Butt Members.

On this occasion you need to pre-register so we can source the patches in advance. Register by sending £5 by PAYPAL to [email protected] with a note including your name and “Dambuster 1000” and send an email to [email protected] with your name and address and the heading “Dambuster 1000”.

For those that wish to join us for the debrief at Calais :p I have created a section for Ground Crew.

Last edited:

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
Trip mileage/time starts at Scunthorpe. Full details will follow.

You will need to be checked in (mileage & flags), refuelled and ready to leave Scunny at 01:45, Saturday. If you have to ride to the start it will increase the length of your day on Saturday.

I will be running up on Friday to have an early night, after refuelling. I anticipate being tucked up by about 19.30 as I'll have to be up at about 01.30 to ensure I'm ready to depart at 01:45. Saturday could be a long day (debrief in Calais). It will also help with departure times on Saturday morning if we can sort some paperwork on Friday night (mileage and flags). I will send out the route/waypoints (GPX) before the run so they can be loaded into satnavs and any additional refuel points can be added/planned. I will also send a copy of the instructions/rules for the ride.

Volunteers List (40 Patches plus reserves) 29 so far.......

Pilots

First Flight

1) GSears .https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=1c7895c4d9f7118c65&scale=on&zoom=default&refresh=no
2) saphena https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1cf235c8e077308f2c&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes
3) Lynn O'Kane https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1cf465c8ebedc53337&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes
4) Jonnyp https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1cf8e5c9145ee48586&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes
5) Sean ..............................CONFIRMED..................route sent
6) madmac ..............................CONFIRMED..................route sent
7) Kim Leeson https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1cfa25c91f0d195cff
8) Bobbyc ..............................CONFIRMED..................route sent
9) James Gilchrist ..............................CONFIRMED..................route sent

Second Flight.

1) FazerPhil https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1cf425c8eb19ac5b8b
2) Peter Perfect ..............................CONFIRMED..................route sent
3) Les Johnson ..............................CONFIRMED..................route sent
4) Shantygod
5) Safari Ferg ..............................CONFIRMED..................route sent

Third Flight.

1) Howard ..............................CONFIRMED..................route sent
2) Daz nes ..............................CONFIRMED
3) Bob M ..............................CONFIRMED..................route sent
4) Ziggy
5) Ian Churm ..............................CONFIRMED..................route sent

Flight Engineers

First Flight.

1) Splitter 142 ..............................CONFIRMED..................route sent
2) John ZRX https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1cfbf5c929f957a3d6&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes
3) Irritable O ..............................CONFIRMED..................route sent
4)~Martin~ https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1cef55c8cfe283b253
5) ChrisM..............................CONFIRMED..................route sent
6) Denise ..............................CONFIRMED..................route sent
7) Ian M ..............................CONFIRMED..................route sent
8) Wilfred G. Nome ..............................CONFIRMED..................route sent
9) Martex..............................CONFIRMED..................route sent

Second Flight.

1) Rob ..............................CONFIRMED..................route sent
2) Zoe ..............................CONFIRMED..................route sent
3)
4)
5)

Third Flight.

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

Navigators.

First Flight,

1)
2)
3)

Tail Gunners (Reserves List).

1)
2)
3)

Ground Crew

1) Foster ..............................CONFIRMED
2) Joy ..............................CONFIRMED
3) JON12A
4) Colin

Grounded :(

Andy Brown
JON12A
Colin
Wully
Aitch
Graeme and Sally

APRES MOI LE DELUGE 617 Squadron
Thinking about the family bar....

Last edited:

Lynn O'Kane

Please add me to the list. Provisionaly (Brrrrrrr sounds a cold one also could I start in Wales and meet you at the tunnel or is it only Scunthorpe to start just wondering)

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
Please add me to the list. Provisionaly (Brrrrrrr sounds a cold one also could I start in Wales and meet you at the tunnel or is it only Scunthorpe to start just wondering)
Lynn the route is from Scunthorpe to Scampton (617 Dambusters base) to Ruhr dams to try and get as close as possible to the raid route, then back to Calais to complete the SS1000. Unfortunately it will not be possible to start elsewhere.

Last edited:

Sean

Premier Member
I am provisionally up for this, just need to amend my holiday plans to come home a couple of days earlier, when you say badge do you mean Patch or Pin?

I’ve reserved myself places at the Premier Inn in Scunthorpe and the Ibis in Calais. I’ll book the ET closer to the time.

Chocks away chaps...

Last edited:

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
I am provisionally up for this, just need to amend my holiday plans to come home a couple of days earlier, when you say badge do you mean Patch or Pin?
Patch, sorry should have been clearer.

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
Put us down think we should be ok (it’s not half term)
Graeme, meet Scunthorpe at about 7.30 pm on Friday for pre op briefing over meal. Final checks on Saturday morning for 'late' arrivals. Should give people chance to get assembly area. Then have Sunday to make way home.

Hey Gordon, a Dambuster Lancaster only had 8 crew....I guess that makes..

You the Pilot
Bob is the Flight Engineer
Lynn’s the Navigator
I’m second Navigator and Radar
Sean’s the Bomb Aimer
Graeme’s Wireless Operator
Sally’s the Mid-Upper Gunner

That leaves Kim as the Tail End Charlie.......;)

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
So when/where is the RTE part of this, Calais Saturday night/Sunday lunch? or Scunthorpe Friday evening?

Are you proposing that we do the entire route as a group ride, 2nd man drop-off & all?

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
I take it were doing Ennepe, Mohne & Eder ?!?! I calculate ~1050 miles from Scunthorpe, Scampton, Calais, 3 Dams and Calais...minus the miles for crossing

1540547363634.png