Saturday 11th June RBLR1000

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
Just checked and the three nearest Premier Inns now all have cheap deals on, so be quick if you intend to book. Rooms from £35 a night. That's for the Castleford Exscape, Castleford Junction 31, and Pontefract North.

I've booked two nights at the Exscape one :D

Bimbler

RBLR1000 Publicity
IBA Member
So have I (2 nights at Castleford Exscape).

Last time I managed to start early on the Saturday and get back to the Premier Inn before the bar shut - a well deserved G&T at 0300 Sunday before retiring for a needed sleep.

Im in :) will be 6th time for me...PLEASE can we have some nice weather :)

Going to do the southern route as it is new, probably clockwise.

Booked the Best Western Milford, Leeds,

I do have a question, not that i think i will do it on this route but i notice the minimum time has changed from 17 hours to 18, i managed 17 hrs in 2013, why the change, as 17 is still comfortably within speed limits.

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi Zeke,

A bid for great weather has been submitted. ;)

I know from my own experiences that the old southern route easily used to be the quicker choice due to more motorways and subsequently higher average speeds. 17 hours on either the Northern or new Southern routes won't be comfortably within speed limits overall. As this is a mass organized Saddlesore rather than an individual one safety is paramount and we'd rather riders pace themselves than just tear round so they can brag about what time they finished in.

What's the point in bombing around and getting back only to wait around locally until it's safe to come in and finish. Just spend a bit more time enjoying the ride. My best time for North Clockwise was 18.5 hours in 2013 and I know I wasn't hanging around :eek: So 18 hours seems like a fair time.

And I agree, I think the times for both Northern and Southern routes will be far more aligned this year. My own paramaters and stop times I have entered on my mapping programmes put the difference between the North Clockwise and Southern Anti-clockwise at 45 minutes (for me).

Hi Zeke,

I know from my own experiences that the old southern route easily used to be the quicker choice due to more motorways and subsequently higher average speeds. 17 hours on either the Northern or new Southern routes won't be comfortably within speed limits overall. As this is a mass organized Saddlesore rather than an individual one safety is paramount and we'd rather riders pace themselves than just tear round so they can brag about what time they finished in.

What's the point in bombing around and getting back only to wait around locally until it's safe to come in and finish. Just spend a bit more time enjoying the ride. My best time for North Clockwise was 18.5 hours in 2013 and I know I wasn't hanging around :eek: So 18 hours seems like a fair time.

And I agree, I think the times for both Northern and Southern routes will be far more aligned this year. My own paramaters and stop times I have entered on my mapping programmes put the difference between the North Clockwise and Southern Anti-clockwise at 45 minutes (for me).
Thanks for the response and fingers crossed for the weather.

I think the time thing is just the way I am , I try and do most things as fast and efficiently as possible, but i get your point about taking a little more time to take the scenery in.

Another question if i may, can we use Justgiving site again for collecting money as you can get the gift aid and i have personally found it the best way to collect money, especially from some people i don't actually see that often.

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
Sponsorhip isn't my thing I'm afraid. Try contacting Neil Rogers the RBLR Vice Chairman, as I'm sure he'll be in a better position to answer that question.

His email address is under the 'Help and Advice' thread.

Hi to all.. I've signed up for this, it'll be a first for me but I'm not a newbie to biking, far from it.

I little intro.. Started riding at 12 back in 72, had a bike on the road since 1978. Ridden all sorts, spent 10 years with the aprilia brand before trying a Guzzi but must have bought one built on a Friday afternoon.. anyway, I'm back on a ZRX1200r Kwaka (see avatar) after owning one back in 2000 ish.. I've done track days, a day course with South Yorkshire Police and I've done the advanced corner taking course at Mallory park a few times, oh, and I did the Ron Haslam race school thing, not impressed but that's another story.

Spent a lot of time organising and running European Trips for up to ten riders, met some great people and had some of the best biking experiences over those 10 years or so.. best trip was the Route des Grande Alps. (google it, you'll want to go)

Never done anything like this though, longest on the bike was a 14 hour day, most miles was 3100 in 8 days..

Looking for tips and advice on getting this first one under my belt.. well that's enough for a start, looking forward to the ride in June..

Cheers all, windy.

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
Welcome on board Windy. You'll have a ball. Read through the instructions document a few times and check out the IBA Archive of Wisdom too, there's some very useful tips on there.

If you've got any specific questions post on the 'help and advice thread'. Me and a friend signed up for the first one in 2009 and had never ridden more than a few hundered miles in a day so this was a shock to the system but not majorly so. Plan for bad but hope for great weather. Over the years there's been everything from raging sunshine to torrential downpours and horizontal wind.

There's plenty of time now for research and practice rides, plus your bike looks fairly upright and comfortable too which should help :)

Thanks for the welcome.. I do have a question.. Is it worth adding extra driving lights for the night riding? I've done some but not much and the headlight on the kwak isn't up to much. Cheers

windy

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
As you just have one single headlight then I guess if that suddenly goes you could have a drama. If you start at 05.00 on the North Clockwise route and the weather has been nice then you may only have a few hours to do in the dark (depending how often and how long you've stopped during the day). Earlier starts over recent years combined with the proximity to the summer solstice mean it's only ever properly dark for a few hours anyway.

Having said that there are numerous small cheap LED type fog lights around which can be easily added and aren't too big and ugly and only draw minimal current. They'd help others to see you in the day and give you a back-up at night.

Carrying a spare headlight bulb would always be a good idea anyway as the law of sod inevitably means your bulb will blow when you're miles from the nearest garage :mad:

Last edited:
Cheers, ordered some driving lights and a wiring kit, like you say small but powerful, Cree LED with just a 10w draw per unit. I always carry spare bulb, puncture repair kit etc.. also, if it helps I have lots of first Aid experience, St John Ambulance and 3 years TA Medic.. haven't practiced for a while but I guess it's a bit like riding a bike..

I pack things like glasses repair kit, tiny screws and a screw driver, dyoralite rehydration sachets. I started taking all this stuff when I first went touring in Europe and now I just can't set off without it because of sods law..:rolleyes:

Hi Zeke,

I'm out it makes no sense to me to make 18 hours the Minimum time. For me getting back at 10pm and having time to get some grub is a lot better than getting back after 11pm when everthing is closed. If people want to finish in 17 hours it makes no difference to anyone who wants to use the 24 hours why change it. If you are that concerned about people speeding on events maybe you should take a closer look at some of the rally stats.

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
We're hoping to lay on food this year through the night so that will help. Plus anybody is free to stop earlier for food if they're that chin strapped. Or they can finish at 10pm and just get a finisher's certificate.

This event is more about raising money for the poppy appeal so to ride a teeny weeny bit slower and come back in one piece is hardly a big deal, is it? We can all ride a saddlesore at any time of the year at whatever speed we like if that's what floats our boats. I'm sure that any small measures we can introduce that help promote rider safety can only be seen as a good thing. After all we're all about 'safe long distance riding' :)

Trackday Junkie.. I reckon an average of 50mph isn't too bad considering the road types and towns/villages that we'll pass through, that's 20 hours if you don't stop from start to finish (highly unlikely), 18 hours is around 56mph average which on UK roads is pretty good, take out a few fuel stops, body and bike, traffic hold ups ect and you're upping the average even more. Don't get me wrong, I love to ride fast, many a time venturing in to 3 figures (When and where I feel it's safe to do so) but a track day this is not, fatigue will set in pretty quick if you push too hard. Take a step back, enjoy the ride and the scenery, have the occasional scratch and do a track day for your speed hit...

Trackday Junkie.. I reckon an average of 50mph isn't too bad considering the road types and towns/villages that we'll pass through, that's 20 hours if you don't stop from start to finish (highly unlikely), 18 hours is around 56mph average which on UK roads is pretty good, take out a few fuel stops, body and bike, traffic hold ups ect and you're upping the average even more. Don't get me wrong, I love to ride fast, many a time venturing in to 3 figures (When and where I feel it's safe to do so) but a track day this is not, fatigue will set in pretty quick if you push too hard. Take a step back, enjoy the ride and the scenery, have the occasional scratch and do a track day for your speed hit...
af1_windy I am well aware of the average speed figures and having done all 6 of the RBLR1000 rides so far I know what is a reasonable time for me to complete the ride in. If you want to go up hundreds of miles of Motoway at an average of 56mph that's ok but if other people want to ride at a slightly higher pace and complete the ride in 17 hours as it has always been then that should be ok also. That's a window 7 hours to finish in that should not put pressure on anyone to ride above what they are capable of.

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
Like other traffic, I tend to hover around 80 on clear motorways and (mostly ;)) 10 to 20 less on decent A roads, with minimal stopped time at receipt points. Even at those speeds if there's not a lot of traffic to contend with, as is usually the case on the Scottish routes then it's surprising how your average speed can go higher than what the calculator says over 18 to 20 hours riding time.

As TJ has said, many RBLR1000 veterans know the northern routes almost off by heart which also helps in knowing the road ahead and when and where they can 'make progress'. Now that more average speed cameras have been installed on the A9 south of Inverness that may change slightly.

If riders still want to ride at warp speeds they can always book a local restaurant near Squires and come back for a 4 course meal before 10 then pootle back to the finish at 11 :p

Last edited:
af1_windy I am well aware of the average speed figures and having done all 6 of the RBLR1000 rides so far I know what is a reasonable time for me to complete the ride in. If you want to go up hundreds of miles of Motoway at an average of 56mph that's ok but if other people want to ride at a slightly higher pace and complete the ride in 17 hours as it has always been then that should be ok also. That's a window 7 hours to finish in that should not put pressure on anyone to ride above what they are capable of.
I don't care how many times you've done it, my comments still stand, it's not a race and it isn't your party so it's common courtesy to go along with what the organisers suggest.. and I suggest that you look up the word average, you can travel at 70/80mph on the motorway and still end up with an average well below that when the rest of the days riding is calculated in.. I'll be doing 80 (ish) on the motorway but my average for the day will be lower..

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
My 2c worth on the speed/finish thing is that I like to ride long distances the way I like to ride long distances and I really don't like to fit in with "artificial" constraints. On a 50 mile ride, I'll happily do it however someone else wants me to do it but a 1000 mile ride gets done (or not) my way: my pace, my stops and I finish when I finish. Having said that, I haven't completed a ride in under 18 hours yet so whether the minimum is 17 or 18 hours is merely of academic interest to me.