Seat Pads

Hi,

I'm looking for some butt and lower back support. I do have a backrest for my seat (mustang). My last iron butt ride, my back and butt were so uncomfortable. I recently bought one of those beaded seat pads, but I've yet to do a long journey on it. Got a 50cc coming up in a few weeks. I was considering getting one of those air pads. What do you all use? I'm riding a cruiser for the 50cc. Plan on stopping @ every 125 mi for fuel, potty break, and a quick stretch. Thanks!

Scott Parish

Premier Member
You will have a pretty good idea if you like the beads by the end of a 50CC; although I wouldn't recommend a new seat/cushion configuration for such a long ride without thoroughly testing beforehand. However, beads or cushions are easily removed so not a big deal.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I borrowed a bike that had a beadrider on it and put 2,000 or so miles on it over a weekend. By the end of the ride I felt that I could feel eacha nd every bead and my but had indentations from them. I was tempted to cut it off the bike and tell the owner that it just "fell off" but doubted she would believe me.

It didn't work for me, but it obviously does for a lot of other people

Now to the original question, I run a Mustang with a backrest and no pad at all. If your back hurts I'd take a hard look at the setup of the bike and make sure you are not reaching for the handlebars. Another option is to wear some form of back brace to force you to have good posture. That worked for some friends of mine

MarkG

Premier Member
The best thing I found was a back supporter with the suspenders for all of $15 at Lowe's or Home Depot. Wrap it around your waist and use the compression straps to cinch it up tight. I have 30k miles on the GTL and never spent the exorbitant price for a backrest. I use the bead rider and usually take it off and put it back on every other fuel stop. Thinking maybe this summer I'll add a sheepskin pad and rotate between the two cushions and the stock seat each time I stop.

Lowe's Hook-n-loop Back Support

Hook-n-loop Back Support 1.jpg

Other hardware stores have them, too. Often see clerks and construction workers wearing them.

Last edited:

WY88

Premier Member
It's thick, in the way when getting on/off the bike but well worth the trouble. $19.99 at Wal-Mart. I only use it on LD rides, from start to finish. walmart seat.jpg

Mike721

Premier Member
I don't use anything on my Vision, the seat works for me just the way it is but my wife uses a really soft, fluffy sheepskin on her Chieftain seat on long rides and swears by it, she bought it to use on her SS1000 and liked it so much that she won't go more than a couple hundred miles without it.

JAORE

Premier Member
I have an Air HAwk. I use it on some trips, not on others. On IBA length rides I might alternate between the Air Hawk and the stock seat. (My wife is wedded to the AIr Hawk. A friend let her try his out on a ride back from Maine to Alabama. He got it back at his driveway.) Good luck on the 50cc. That's my big one on the to do list.