Sena intercom

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
evening all.
Does anyone use a sena intercom? Mainly for pillion-rider chat.
Ive used autocom before, so know the benefits of them, just looking at maybe changing.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
No. I also used to use an Autocom hard wired system but only for sat nav and music.

After my accident I wanted to go wireless and researched various systems. The Senna ones seemed to have very good reviews Mark. For LD riding there's very few that offer great battery life though, or the ability to change batteries over. You have to remove the whole thing and charge it up. Or splash out on a second unit to carry with you while you charge the first one.

Using some of my compensation money I splashed out on a Cardo Sho-1 unit. Unlike most systems this sits flush under the bottom of your helmet not stuck on the side like a big egg. It has the main module on the left side with buttons and on the right side is a separate battery pack. This can be detached from it's holder and swapped with a spare. They're bloomin' expensive but have some nice features. It has a built in FM stereo which uses the wire from one speaker to the other as the aerial. I have an app on my phone that links to the headset and I can change settings and set station frequencies etc.

http://cardosystems.com/portfolio-item/cardo-sho-1/

It says it's for Shoei helmets but I know of others who've fitted it to other makes as there's just tangs that fit down behind the shell and lining.

For what you're after there's probably cheaper alternatives though, especially if you buy a pair of them.

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
Cheers mark. Schuberth (my helmet make) also do a flush intercom. I have looked into this, but read varying reviews, i believe garmin dave had issues with his?
The battery isnt really an issue for me, when i do my ld rides, its my voices in my head that keep me entertained, but when i have marion with me,i know she misses music, and chatting. Plus, it is always useful to have a spare set of eyes at junctions ect.
Im now looking at an interphone f5 set-up, that seems to get good reviews, as i also need to sometimes communicate with other intercoms.
Oh well, the search continues.

Jeff Luke

Premier Member
I bought a Sena 10 - 2 pack and used it all summer '15 with my passenger and my kids riding their own scoot.
I was very impressed with the hours of battery and the audio quality. It worked great for phone calls even at highway speed (adjust the mic placement).
Its good for music but iphone has limited volume over bluetooth so things like audio books are challenging with earplugs in, without plugs its just fine.
I love not having a cord.
My kids bike is unfaired and i do pick up some engine and wind noise from their bike.
No problem with pilot/passenger volume or noise under my wind protection on the WeeStrom large screen.
I've only used in light rain, others have said torrents will interfere with the base connection, but I didn't get it that wet. I bought a third unit to use as a backup to keep charging in my tank bag.
Good luck

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
An update on the interphone f5.
Installation is a doddle, takes about 2 minutes, the harder bit was deciding where to stick the unit. (Schuberth c3 flip front helmet)
Pairing, again, an absolute doddle, now can listen to music stored on phone, or make a call via voice activated, the unit talks to you, to tell you whats selected, which is really easy to navigate.
The only issue, is if your listening to music, you seem to have to turn it off to turn the intercom on, you cant just talk.
But apart from that, highly recommended.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I have the sena smh 10, I like it, had a uclear but a bad rain storm ruined it, have had the sena for about a yr, the helmet I use is a shoei multitec.

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
Cheers rodney, covered almost 1000 miles at weekend, some of it 2 up, the intercom works brilliantly, heightening marions motorbike pleasure.
77mph with visor up, person on phone wouldnt believe i was on a bike, its a fantastic intercom, much much better than my old autocom.
Battery lasted with music on loud for 8 hours, and still says medium battery life.
Highly recommended

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
Cheers rodney, covered almost 1000 miles at weekend, some of it 2 up, the intercom works brilliantly, heightening marions motorbike pleasure.
77mph with visor up, person on phone wouldnt believe i was on a bike, its a fantastic intercom, much much better than my old autocom.
Battery lasted with music on loud for 8 hours, and still says medium battery life.
Highly recommended
I like the sena a lot, I'm getting one for my gf, we rode to Montana and Tennessee last yr, she used ear buds to listen to her book on tape, so I decided to get her a Bluetooth for our grand canyon trip this yr.

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
Can the f5mc be used with earbuds, or does it have to use speakers in the helmet? I prefer using Ultimate Ear plugs with built-in speakers, which I use with my Autoocom, but the f5mc looks a better solution - if I can use the Ultimate Ears!

Regards,
Martin

I used to use the Sena SMH-10 but on longer rides or rallies having to have both identically configured, so when one dies you can easily swap over and continue was painful if anything changed.
I now use the Cardo-SH01 which has a removable battery, slightly better features and easier to use than the SMH-10.

Martin, Ultimate ear will attach the in ear amps in place of the speakers. No idea what the costs involved are though. I'm at the London Bike show on Friday if they are there ill ask.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I used to use the Sena SMH-10 but on longer rides or rallies having to have both identically configured, so when one dies you can easily swap over and continue was painful if anything changed.
I now use the Cardo-SH01 which has a removable battery, slightly better features and easier to use than the SMH-10.

Martin, Ultimate ear will attach the in ear amps in place of the speakers. No idea what the costs involved are though. I'm at the London Bike show on Friday if they are there ill ask.
What do you mean both units identically configured? Did you have a passenger?

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
Hi martin, not sure about the earbuds, but the speakers are phenomenal, (not got the pro sound speakers yet, but these are lots better than autocom. They do the below options, so id say the earbud option is a possibilty, even if you had to cut and splice image.png

I like the sena a lot, I'm getting one for my gf, we rode to Montana and Tennessee last yr, she used ear buds to listen to her book on tape, so I decided to get her a Bluetooth for our grand canyon trip this yr.
What do you mean both units identically configured? Did you have a passenger?
Both only need to be configured the same (connect to GPS, Phone, music) on LD rides and rallies where the rider would use both sena units. One in use one on charge. Which is a pita.
If only ridding 10 hours with pillion then no issues, individual phone and music connection etc.
The alternative is of course charging while riding and using but then your connected to the bike again.