Sena Outrush Bluetooth Helmet

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Sena Outrush Bluetooth Helmet or the Sena Outrush R ??

Too little data to provide useful info for buying the helmet, and that's from the Revzilla site, which is usually decent. Read the reveiws, written mostly by people with no experience with modular helmets and not one of which seems to understand head shape. The Revzilla scale would appear to suggest it's a mid-oval shape. Not so good for round head riders.

I doubt they manufacture the helmet themselves. Looks like a familiar shield release mechanism, but I can't place it at the moment.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've seen a few reviews that were "okay" with it but none that appeared to be sold on it yet. Thanks.

ADDED: It was that Outrush, not the Outrush R I was asking about Eric. Friend and his wife just bought a couple and he was telling me about them. I was interested.

Last edited:

Firstpeke

Had a quick look at the helmet on a few sites and I would say that it is possible it is made under license from or copied from a Schuberth.

There are some features that look remarkably like those on my Schuberth E1...

It would seem that there may be a closer association between the two companies.

Of course it could be that they simply source their "bits" from the same manufacturers!

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I mean... $230 for a helmet isn't bad... nor is $230 for a bluetooth setup.. but for both? I dunno, I'd expect something in the $350-400 range?

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Couple things I've discovered.

First, where "reviewers" like Web Bike World, Speed Addicts and Revzilla give the Outrush & Outrush R good marks, Readers at WBW and some other comments I've been able to find aren't quite as generous. Actual users seem to rate them pretty low.

One thing that ends my interest is no pinlock capable faceshield. Fogged up faceshields should be a thing of the past for long riders, and is with pinlock.

Just my opinion.

Russ Black

Premier Member
My G/F and I have had a set of these for about 18 months. Prior to that we used Sena SMH-5's which work great but are getting a bit long in the tooth along with our helmets. She tried on a bunch of helmets and liked the way this one fit, so we purchased a pair so we'd match. They are a $100 helmet (DOT Only) and a $100 communications system combined. The quality of the build could be better. The screw fell out and one of the locking devices and piviot points (I think it was the left side) for the visor broke within the first month of owning it. I was able to get another set from Sena but that was more difficult than it should have been. The same screw fell out of my G/F's helmet but the helmet was not damaged. I just had to put the screw back in and tighten it. I did the other side while I was at it. The locking device that locks the modular front up also no longer locks it in place. They use Bluetooth 3.0 which gives us the same functionality as the SMH-5's with the addition of FM radio but the inability to use it while charging and the loss of "Universal Intercom" which allows pairing to another brands (non-Sena) of Bluetooth headsets. I use my old helmet and SMH-5's to connect to my friend's LEXIN system. I also own a Cardo Paktalk Bold for when I ride with friends that use thoses. We ride all year around and are looking for replacements, That might take us another 18 months before we pull that trigger.

Using the Outrush (No "R") helmets you are able to connect up to 3 other Sena helmet via bluetooth. You can connect to 3 but only talk to one at a time. You can switch between them by tapping the jog wheel one to three times depending on which channel they are connected to you. 90% of my ridng is solo, with my G/F either on her bike or as my pillion, or with a friend on their bike. When I ride in a group, no one seems to really want to connect with anyone else anyway so the riders with the newer systems with the "Group" ability are never used that way.

Just ordered one off amazon a few months back. my shuberth was an excellent helmet (but black and hot) which i had to add the sena unit to it. the outrush fits well and despite some additional wind noise it is suitable for my purpose. the price point was one reason for trying it along with the unit being built in the helmet. i've had worse and i've had better, but for the money it's an adequate helmet that lets me link up to a few guys i ride with. i have not had any of the issues Russ has had...at least not yet. i've yet to find a helmet with good air flow. just like with motorcycle clothes...do those that manufacture gear not realize that a large portion of their target audience has beer guts? not everyone is slim...used to be but at 60, i'm a little girthier lol!

my theory is ... if it fits me and i feel comfortable, it works for me!