Sheepskin seat cover

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I used an ordinary sheepskin pad, tied to the saddle with discreet knicker elastic, on my Bonneville. Worked a treat. I think it cost £12-15 from somewhere like Edinburgh Woollen Mills - try ebay

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
I'm pretty sure I have a home made one somewhere in the garage, John.

I will be at the BBR if you want me to bring it along.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I've experienced both and have been happy with both. The AirHawk has an advantage in that it's waterproof but the sheepskin worked well enough.

Yes I know that, technically, sheepskin is also waterproof but you know what I mean.

jaybee

Latvian rider transport!!!!!!
Premier Member
Thanks. Sheepskin seems to be about £30 whereas Airhawk is about £130.
Might take a gamble on nature's remedy.

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
I tried both, but abandoned the sheepskin as I thought the airhawk superior.

Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
I used to have one on my FJR from the same company (Easirider) but when I bought my GSA they didn't have a pattern for the low Sargent seat I'd bought for it. I went to their factory shop took the seat off and they made one up there and then, so they now have a pattern for this style of saddle.

They aren't cheap but are a custom fit with a draw cord around the base. It certainly makes the already comfortable Sargent seat that bit more comfy on long rides and rallies which is all I fit it for. You can see it in this picture taken during last year's Brit Butt Rally by a rock commemorating the location of some Trumpet factory ;) :D

sheepskin or air hawk? Anyone experienced both?
I am having the same conundrum.
The sheepskin was the cheaper first try, but I didn't really get on with it - it improved comfort a bit, but not enough, and it seemed to hold quite a bit of water after rain so would end up sitting on a wet seat.

The airhawk is pretty good, though I found it took a bit of tweaking to find the right amount of air to have in (for me), luckily it's easy to adjust.

irpuk

Premier Member
I have used both, sheepskin (or more accurately half a sheepskin rug from IKEA with a little elastic to hold it in place) and airhawk (but with a waterproof cover on it to stop water pooling). Personally I prefer the sheepskin for normal usage and the airhawk for IBA rides.

Wash and tube dry the sheepskin occasionally at it is great, but for long rides it gets compressed and I find I lose the cushioning. Try both if you can, and decide what works for you.

spanner

I actually used BOTH on a recent SS2000 mile ride to Renmark.

the sheepskin gave a nice soft feeling while the airhawk doe the job of not allowing pressure spots to occur.

it was the perfect combination.

Don't discount the bead rider option, it changes the pressure points and provides the breeze to cool. It works well (even if you aren't a cabby in New York).

DrNeo

Premier Member
I've done all three (sheepskin, beadrider, Airhawk) - I kept coming back to the Airhawk over and over. It was an okay, better, best situation. The sheepskin would get matted down after a couple hours and be worthless. It also would hold water as others have said. Granted, it was a cheap one from iKea. The beads were good too, but the Airhawk was just that much better. One a multiday rally/ride, I like the ability to change the Airhawks pressure if needed.

jaybee

Latvian rider transport!!!!!!
Premier Member
Thanks everyone for the input. The sheep seemed the cheap option initially but required a visit to Northampton for tailoring. Although mainly because I didn't have the time to go upon there, the petrol costs for a 200+ mile round trip brought me to within £20 of an air-hawk which could be delivered to my door. So that is what I have chosen as a starter. I get to experiment with pressures on the San Marino RTE and hopefully I will have a winner.