Sleep during the IBR

Paul Meyer

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Mike, Chris and Eric all make great points. In the 2019 IBR I took advantage of the full 8 hours of rest for each of the 3 rest boni. I also managed to get good sleep at the 2 checkpoints. Along with some naps in between I was able to finish fairly well. In 2021 I disregarded the importance of sleep and the buildup of fatigue. The deeper I got in the fatigue hole the worse my decision making ability was. I did not realize it at the time but in retrospect it is obvious. Late on day 3 there were several times I thought about abandoning my plan and heading for the checkpoint. Had I done that I would likely have made the checkpoint, as it was I didn't and ended up DNF the first leg.

The importance of rest cannot be over stressed. Everyone has their own strategy for dealing with it. I will be much more aware the next time around.

Lisa

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Mike, Chris and Eric all make great points. In the 2019 IBR I took advantage of the full 8 hours of rest for each of the 3 rest boni. I also managed to get good sleep at the 2 checkpoints. Along with some naps in between I was able to finish fairly well. In 2021 I disregarded the importance of sleep and the buildup of fatigue. The deeper I got in the fatigue hole the worse my decision making ability was. I did not realize it at the time but in retrospect it is obvious. Late on day 3 there were several times I thought about abandoning my plan and heading for the checkpoint. Had I done that I would likely have made the checkpoint, as it was I didn't and ended up DNF the first leg.

The importance of rest cannot be over stressed. Everyone has their own strategy for dealing with it. I will be much more aware the next time around.
Good stuff here, Paul. I hope everyone catches that you experienced this as early as Day 3. We tell new riders that 11 days is longer (and shorter!) than you can possibly imagine and it 's critical that you manage yourself physically as well as mentally - come in as fit as possible, eat well (Honey Buns are not a food group) and manage your sleep to the best of your ability. A lot of this you can only learn by doing other multi-day rides or rallies, seeing what works for you, especially under stress.