So what will you be riding?

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
I know over the years that many riders have ridden on all sorts of machines. I can't remember what year it was but a rider on a Honda C90 almost made the 1000 miles a few years back, but broke down a short distance from the finish if I recall. :)

Maybe we should have a prize for the most outlandish machine to finish :D

I'll keep the list below updated periodically as the entries come in:

BMW - 33
Ducati - 2
Harley - 2
Honda - 28
Kawasaki - 8
Peugeot - 1
Suzuki - 6
Triumph - 18
Vincent - 1
Yamaha - 7
Yamaha Trike - 1 :cool:

Last edited:

Bimbler

RBLR1000 Publicity
IBA Member
This year I will buy a sandwhich at Tesco again but take it a little bit up the road to John O'Groats.
I always meant to each year but never did.

Perhaps a pork pie this time. On a BMW K1200 LT.

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
This year I will buy a sandwhich at Tesco again but take it a little bit up the road to John O'Groats.
I always meant to each year but never did.
That's what me and a mate did on our first one. Just because it was so nearby and neither of us had been there :)

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'll be on my tiger 800. Aiming again to get back early to welcome riders in on their return. No time for a sandwich at wick. I'll survive ion the odd breakfast bar or two. There is no real need to eat much on a 24 hr ride. A big meal will make you tired digesting it and also lengthen your ride time.
Most important is to keep comfortable and hydrated

This will be my first ever RBLR1000. I'm an Army Chaplain and trying to get some my colleagues to join me - however some of us work on a Sunday! Anyway, I'll be on a K1300GT - any tips/advice will be gratefully received and thanks to given! Esp. in relation to stops/ accommodation night before and after etc. I plan to do the North route anti-clockwise (I'm from the NE and want to see Northumberland in her day-time splendour).

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
This will be my first ever RBLR1000. I'm an Army Chaplain and trying to get some my colleagues to join me - however some of us work on a Sunday! Anyway, I'll be on a K1300GT - any tips/advice will be gratefully received and thanks to given! Esp. in relation to stops/ accommodation night before and after etc. I plan to do the North route anti-clockwise (I'm from the NE and want to see Northumberland in her day-time splendour).
Welcome, I have always done North anti-clockwise and it is never the same
Hotels, a few B and Bs in Sherburn in Elmet and two hotels with in a couple of miles (on what was the old A1) South Milford hotel (used to be Selby Fork) or the Best Western Milford Hotel
These are the closest

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
Welcome to the party Padre :) You're now on one of the 19 BMWs entered and the first on a 1300GT. I did put a bid in for good weather that weekend but maybe you could have a word with your boss just to reinforce the application :D

Feel free to ask any specific questions you can think of on the 'Help and Advice' topic on here. I'm sure you'll get plenty of people offer their help and support. As mentioned in the 'Detailed Instructions' document on the shared folder the IBA's Archive of Wisdom is a good place to start.

Bimbler

RBLR1000 Publicity
IBA Member
Hi Padre,

North-Anti is the best route. Glorious riding and then the last bit back home is on motorway with stops for an uplifting shot of coffee.
Start early and don't waste time on the first half. Just ride, fuel and pee. Water and cereal bars will keep you going. Meals make you sleepy.
I grab a room a Premier Inn or similar nearby for Friday and Saturday night. Back in about 0400 Sunday .

Bimbler

RBLR1000 Publicity
IBA Member
Hi Padre,

North-Anti is the best route. Glorious riding and then the last bit back home is on motorway with stops for an uplifting shot of coffee.
Start early and don't waste time on the first half. Just ride, fuel and pee. Water and cereal bars will keep you going. Meals make you sleepy.
I grab a room a Premier Inn or similar nearby for Friday and Saturday night. Back in about 0400 Sunday .

And before anyone asks the Padre for decent weather -
He is Sales, not Management.

Well, a glorious set of replies - I could be forgiven for thinking some of you are either current or ex-military? Well: I've booked into the South Milford Hotel for the Friday night but wondered does anyone actually stop en-route for sleep somewhere (B&B for 4-5hrs) or just push-on-through and sleep at a nearby hotel - get up to 'cross the line' - then go back to bed all day Sunday (I have the day off by the way)?

I've coughed-up to Touratech for the parts to move my Navigator from the handlebars (always bugged me that BMW fitted it there) to above my instruments where I'm usually looking (doh!) and to get power into my tank bag as I'm trying to video most if not all of the route.

Anyway, I've had a word about the weather and all will be well, and finally (Bimbler) your most kind, but I'm neither Sales nor Management but I do have a wonderful relationship with The Manufacturer! P&B, Padre.

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
Ex armoured corps. Greetings Padre.
You have chosen a good route, and a good bike to do it on. My Rblr virginity was on a rocket 3, so comfy easy riding. Did it in about 21 hours.
It sounds a daunting ride, but as long as you dont stop every hour, or dawdle when you stop, its actually not as bad as it sounds, fear of the unknown and all that.
BUT, and i know you would anyway, if you are feeling tired, STOP!
A quick 5 minute walk helps loads, and for me, a brush of my teeth wakes me up.
And beware, it becomes addictive.
After the rblr 1000, i did 5000 miles in 5 days for the legion, and 1500 miles in 24 hours on christmas day for soldiers off the streets.

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
Stephen - see my response to your questions in the 'Help and advice' thread.

Bimbler

RBLR1000 Publicity
IBA Member
You guessed it correctly Padre.

It all seems a lot to take on until you look at the numbers.
If you ride non-stop at 50mph you will finish in 20 hours.
If you ride at 60mph you can make 50 miles in each hour and have 10 minute break each hour and finish in 20 hours.
Throw in some motorway and you get more "free-time".

What slows you down is riding in a large group and waiting for the others to use the loo and finish their ciggy/tea/coffee before moving off again.
I prefer to go alone but make casual hook-ups around the route; joining and leaving others as it suits me and them.
Riding in an informal blob - not a convoy.

Stopping for photos really eats into the time. So don't rush but don't waste time. (Story of the Hare and Tortoise)