So You Want to Enter the Iron Butt Rally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi what is a status of IBR2019?

I tried to serach for „Announcement of the opening of the application process for the 2019 Iron Butt Rally” but could not find any information.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
The application period was announced to Premier members in January, 2018. The application period for regular IBA members opened a month later. Because of the very large response from the Premier members, we did not post a formal announcement at that time, but we did make the information available to any member who asked.

The drawing took place in March, 2018. It is full, and we are not maintaining a waiting list.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

So it was not clear :(
I was waiting from December for info when application will be opened. My bad I did not ask that question earlier.
I was really interested in joining IRB2019.

Clarification, please. Kneebone indicates that the selection for the IBR, sans the special people that get no draw spots, is an honest draw. Mr Agins message indicates that having ridden certificate rides can help your chances of being selected. How can both these statements be true? If it is an honest draw (I doubt it) how can your experience play a role in the selection? I have more certificate rides than all but one member of the IBA and yet was snubbed for IBR 2019. My guess is it is a friend and family issue but that is just speculation. The real question is how can having experience play a role in an honest draw?

I'd suggest becoming a Premier member so you are part of the group notified first when all announcements come out
Been in Premier for years, 100_ certificate rides, 2 IBR's, supported all the regional events sans Kingsport. Did not help me. People who are not even Mile Eater members or Premier got selected over 20-year supporters of the organisation.

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Some historical info, this may be completely irrelevant this year:

It looks like the IBR17 info was made public on 4/19/17. I received my notification via premier newsletter on 4/5/17, so two weeks earlier.

Posted somewhere, there was a pre-approved SS1K for inbound riders attending the finishers' banquet that was announced only a few weeks prior to the IBR. There might be a similar option this year too. Just something to watch for.

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
BigLew:

Yup, I heard about the 2017 IBR SS1K ride ( I was the guy who organized it :) ). I'm hoping to do the same for next year, but of course can't plan or post anything specific until I know where the ride will end. And I also need to talk to Mike, before I go ahead with anything. I'm planning on contacting him after the 1st of the year. In addition to posting the ride on the IBA Event Calendar, I also add a thread on the ADV Riders Forum.

BTW, I'm planning another All Yooperland SS1K on June 22nd next year - >1K miles all done in the upper peninsula of Michigan. Will start & end in Iron Mountain.

Last edited:
BigLew:

Yup, I heard about the 2017 IBR SS1K ride ( I was the guy who organized it :) ). I'm hoping to do the same for next year, but of course can't plan or post anything specific until I know where the ride will end. And I also need to talk to Mike, before I go ahead with anything. I'm planning on contacting him after the 1st of the year. In addition to posting the ride on the IBA Event Calendar, I also add a thread on the ADV Riders Forum.

BTW, I'm planning another All Yooperland SS1K on June 22nd next year - >1K miles all done in the upper peninsula of Michigan. Will start & end in Iron Mountain.
Jim,

I better make that Yooper ride or I will turn into the boy who called wolf. Anticipating seeing you route.

-Mark

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
Hope to see you in Iron Mountain. Rich Henrion will probably be the Piped-Piper on the ride again for those who want to join him. Being a Yooper himself, he knows the U.P. like the back of his hand.
Here is the route - it's a compromise to keep the miles as close to 1K miles as possible. The end of the ride back to Iron Mountain will be on US-2, the safest route to take at night - 5 pics and 7 receipts will be required.
2019 All Yooperland_html_m62a7162a.jpg

Last edited:

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
Keep your eye on the IBA Event Calendar. After it's posted, you can download, fill out & send me the Rider information Form. Mark June 21st & 22nd on your calendar now !

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
In my original post, I mentioned that a few shorter rallies offered high-placing finishers an entry into the next Iron Butt Rally. Well, the Butt Lite is one of them.

Lisa Erbes just (July 2, 2019) posted the following:

--------------------------------------------------------------
July 2, 2019

Applications [for Butt Lite X] will be accepted up to 11:59:59pm CDT

on July 31st. So, stop procrastinating and get that application in. There

is no waiting list. You will either get in or you won't. The top 10

finishers will get a spot in the 2021 IBR. The first place finisher will

have their IBR fee paid for by TeamStrange
. (If you are interested in

volunteering please send an email to [email protected])

https://buttlitexregistration.com/
----------------------------------------

Ira

Just wanted to say Thanks for the info in this post. My wife and I are just beginning our journey into rallies. We both have a number of SS rides under our belts and just got back from the 2023 BAT party. Had a great time and got a lot of info from it. Looking forward to more!

Status
Not open for further replies.