Spot Gen 3 questions

igneouss

Premier Member
Just finished reading the the info on the Spot web site.

A bit dissapointed.

So the device is $150
The mandatory basic service is $150/year

That gets you all the well known Spot functions. Re: tracking. It logs once every 10 minutes but only for 24 hours. After that you have to reset the device to get another 24 hours of tracking. Seems non optimal for longer cert rides and the IBR.

So how do experienced riders deal with this?
1. Pay an additional $150/year over and above the basic service, that eliminates the 24 hour limit?
2. Reset the device at fuel stops thus resetting the 24 hour limit each time?
3. Reset at some timed interval so as not to run past the 24 hour limit?
4. Try to stop and start service on the monthly plan to save a few dollars while using the upgraded service?
5. Other?

AyrtonO

Premier Member
Well personally that 24hrs reset is simple operation to do once a day at some fuel/rest stop, simple as that. Most of us have anyway take some rest period every 24hrs so it goes naturally :)
But you don't need pay $150 getting rid of that, movement-based tracking ("unlimited tracking service") adds $50.

igneouss

Premier Member
Thanks Petri.
$50 for the unlimited is better than $150.

Given the close relationship between spot and the IBA it surprised me that there's an arbitrary 24 hour limit that can be overcome by simply paying more money...

Maybe the IBR experts can answer a follow on quescion: have any IBR participants failed to reset their spot trackers during the rally?

I have a Spot gen 3. I've been running it here at home to test out rechargeable batteries. The 24 hour limit is pretty easy to deal with. Simply push the tracking button again when the tracking light stops blinking after 24 hours. If you're worried about it, set a reminder in your phone for 24 hours after you initially start the tracker.

Brian

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks Petri.
$50 for the unlimited is better than $150.

Given the close relationship between spot and the IBA it surprised me that there's an arbitrary 24 hour limit that can be overcome by simply paying more money...

Maybe the IBR experts can answer a follow on quescion: have any IBR participants failed to reset their spot trackers during the rally?
During the IBR? Not me but due to the 2015 format I had no need to ride 24 hours since all boni were daylight only.

However, I did not know about this during the Butt Lite VII and it did stop tracking after 24 hours. I think I still have the lump on the back of my head from my wife smacking me to prove it.

Also, I believe the 24 hour limit can be overcome by powering it from an outside source. I run on batteries so I cannot confirm that.

igneouss

Premier Member
Chris,
Interesting about hard wired vs batteries.

Just pondering the IBR. These kind of little annoyances, the 24 hour limit and batteries, seem like the kind of things that I would totally screw up about day 8.

AyrtonO

Premier Member
For longer rallies not big problem to connect Gen3 to USB power, batteries are then only backup. Also I have mounted handlebar so tracking led is easily visible while driving. Resetting is only pressing once Track-button again to make led blink green again. I just feel if I am not able to check that while rallying, maybe I'd better to stop and rest :) Actually couple of times has happened to me, Spot has for some reason stopped tracking during shorter trips as well - maybe batteries, maybe some other reason - that has made me to have a look in it every now and then. But well - I use also quite often OK-button to send status message to family/friends email - that activity at last keeps me checking tracking status as well.