Spot mounting advice sought

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
Folks,

I realise you will find it difficult to believe, but Santa decided I had been nice last year, so I found a Spot 3 in my stocking. I've yet to subscribe to a service plan - I figure Unlimited is the one to go for. What I would like some advice on is in mounting it.

I already understand the advantage of carrying it on me in the event of an 'off' which finishes with me some way away from the bike; however, being over-endowed with hubris, I've discounted that possibility. The instructions say it shouldn't be mounted within 12" of any other GPS device - which is a bit of a problem, given that I've got a Garmin mounted just below the clocks, and a TomTom on top of the brake reservoir. On top of the clutch reservoir would be the obvious location to put it - but how seriously should I take their warning on proximity to the satnavs?

Second, I like the idea of having it powered from the bike - no relying on batteries of indeterminate remaining lifespan. I've seen that Spot offer a line lead which simply plumbs in to the bike electrics, and then powers it (presumably via the USB socket); it's stupidly expensive at €39, but it does have the major advantage of being waterproof. Has anyone else gone down that route? Thoughts?

Regards,
Martin

Steve Bracken

Premier Member
You can safely ignore the 12" rule.

There is a theoretical chance of cross-interference when the Spot sends a signal, but in practise it's not worth worrying about.

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
After or mishap I found my spot about 5mts down the road so now wear it on me unless I am in the uk and only using it for tracking then I have it fitted on the bike
The spot 3 battery life is great loads better than the Spot 2 I just use battery power and carry spare batteries in case

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Martin

I use the basic package (10 minute tracking is enough for me) with the emergency cover upgrade. If you don't add the emergency package at the start of your membership it becomes stupidly expensive.
With the basic package you have to remember to reset after a maximum of 24 hours if you are using it continuously (usually at a rest break, turn it off and back on).
I have mine mounted to the bike using batteries and carry a spare set, as Graeme stated they last for ages. What's the position with an electrical failure on the bike and no batteries?

Gordon

Last edited:

irpuk

Premier Member
Personally I wear mine on my left arm, that way if I need it due to an 'off' it is with me in the valley and not on the bike 300m down the road so I can be found. I accept I am a little paranoid about this but it is designed to assist me if I need help, the tracking is an additional feature from my point of view.

I carry spare batteries for it in the tank bag; that said they last a long time so even on 36/48 hour rides with it running all the time I have never had a problem.

Just my €0.02

Ian

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Carry spare batteries and when it starts to flash red continuously change them.
They last for ages. Though the original spot batteries lasted longer.

TripperMike

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
As Graeme stated, the Gen 3 battery life is so much better than the Gen 2's, so I don't worry about charging it while riding.
I used to ride with it in the leg pocket of my 'stich and had zero problems with it working properly. Only draw back was it was difficult to see the lights blinking through the fabric during the daylight, not so at nighttime. Now I just have it dangling on the side of the tankbag with zero problems of it working. Personally I just never wanted it up on my shelf; I've got enough stuff up there as it is.