Spot "OK" (as a routine) in lieu of DBRs at turnarounds on out and back routes and at corners on circular route rides.

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Asking this question for someone else... well sorta kinda. This question came up in a discussion with another rider and asking for clarification. Can the Spot/InReach/tracking device "OK" be used in lieu of DBRs at corners on circular-routes or at the turnaround on out-and-back routes to certify rides which SpotWalla (satellite tracking) trip data is NOT mandatory? I have always used Spot and Spotwalla and obtained DBRs at turnarounds and at corners on my 30-some IBA rides in the past two years; I read it as required in the ride rules, but since Spotwalla tracks everywhere you go, and it came up in discussion, thought it as a logical question to ask for clarification. I read a lot on the forum and the ride rules, it may have already been discussed, but I have not come across it. Example: 510 miles is my turnaround point for an out and back SS1000 on a bike with a 150mi fuel range. At 450 miles I get my forth tank of fuel, continue to my 510 mile turn around point, hit OK on Spot and do not obtain a DBR at the 510 mi turnaround point, and head back to my starting point fueling up at 150 mi intervals until I reach my starting/end point. At my start, finish, and at each fuel stop I get a pic of my ODO with the fuel DBR and complete my trip log. This same example could be applied to a circular route using the "OK" at corners in lieu of DBRs. Normally would this ride be certified as a SS1000 without a DBR at the turnaround point or must DBRs be obtained at turnaround points and at corners even with using Spotwalla? I understand a satellite tracking device can be used to help "prove" you were there but can the satellite tracking device routinely be used in lieu of DBRs? Thanks.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I'm writing for myself, and NOT the IBA when I answer this, but as I understand it, Spotwalla data is still considered a secondary data source, and really can't be a primary data source.

Primary data sources are still DBR's.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
When in doubt, follow the rules. For circular routes, the rules state:

"If you choose a circular route, you will need to obtain a dated receipt at each "corner" to show that you did not take a short-cut."

For out-and-back rides, it says:

"If you choose a route where you ride 500 miles and then turn around and come back, you must get a dated receipt at the turn around point."

If SPOT or other satellite track data was an acceptable replacement, it would say so. It does not. But as mentioned above, such data is very good secondary documentation. Because the basic rule is that it's up to you to demonstrate you rode the ride you claim by submitting sufficient documentation to do so, there is no such thing as too much documentation. But there is such a thing as too little. :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association