Spot or not ?

hover-hog

Geriatric MileEater
Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi all, question for spot users out there ? Are there any benefits to using spot gps trackers ? Or is there suitable software that does the same on a mobile phone, just curious as I have
Thought about buying a spot gen 3 or 4 but curious about any benefits of using one ?.
Thanks
Neil

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
I gave up using my Spot about 4 years ago because the yearly subscriptions were too expensive.
I can still use Spotwalla with SWConnect (for iPhone - other apps available for Android) to track my rides, as Spotwalla is not dependent on having a Spot device.
The biggest advantage with Spot is having the emergency button if you need it when there is no phone coverage.
If you're the sort of rider who goes off the beaten track and may need that function, then the cost would be worth it. If you're not, save yourself the money.

That emergency button really works, by the way.
My Spot came loose from its holder one time and I lost it. Two weeks later I got a phone call from Kentucky or somewhere similar, at 0200, when the finder decided to press it to see what happened and the emergency centre wanted to know if I was OK or needed the emergency services.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi all, question for spot users out there ? Are there any benefits to using spot gps trackers ? Or is there suitable software that does the same on a mobile phone, just curious as I have
Thought about buying a spot gen 3 or 4 but curious about any benefits of using one ?.
Thanks
Neil
I've had a Spot 2 for around 8 years and currently use a Spot 3. Combined with Spotwalla there are many benefits to a satellite tracking device over a cellular device, but it really comes down to your needs and how you intend to use it. You can use a cell phone with Spotwalla for tracking, when you have cell service with Bubbler Lite for free. Spotwalla is moving to a pay format, but I don't know when. Still likely be very reasonable. You don't need Spotwalla, but it saves your trips forever, unlike others.

In the UK, I don't know if you have areas w/o cell service like we do in the US. In the greater sense of the EU, I'm sure you can get as lost as you want to. It just depends on what area you ride in. A big benefit for Spot is being able to send a OK or Custom message when you're stopped for the day to let loved ones know you're fine and either stopped for a break or done for the day and safe at your destination when you don't have cell service. Secondary is that whomever has your tracking link can follow along on your trip, or in case of problems, see very close to where you are either from the end of the pings or the repeated pings in one spot not at a safe place.

I never looked at the Spot as an excuse to be dumb. Don't go riding into areas where risk is high w/o other riders and w/o telling people where you are going, your route and when you expect to be back.

My main reasons for having a Spot were for endurance rally use, when I was doing those events. Now it's more a tool to make my wife happy if I do a long solo ride or take a solo trip. Day to day she uses it for her blog to show others where we went on day rides or longer rides. An example in the latest blog entry here: http://cletha-adventures.blogspot.com/

hover-hog

Geriatric MileEater
Premier Member
IBA Member
Thank you all for the very useful replies I will look at IOS apps and save the expense of subscription, Thanks again.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
FYI: There are still areas in this country where long sections of Interstate Highway (not something most consider "off the beaten path") are without cell service.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Any Cellular based GPS tracking tool will be WORTHLESS if one is out of Cellular range! Just Sayin'!
Depends on your internet. Do you only want after-the-fact "this is where I was" tracking or do you want near real-time tracking? If all you want is the former, than any device capable of capturing and storing location data (such as a WiFi only tablet or an old disabled cell phone) will work just fine running Bubbler GPS Pro, for example, and uploading the data via WiFi after the trip is completed.