SPOT Tracker Mounting

tdragger

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have a Gen 3 SPOT Tracker mounted to my right handlebar but have been curious about whether to attach it to my helmet or jacket in case of an off. Granted if you go down on the bike you most likely won't be too far away but you may not be able to get back to it in order to activate the SOS.

What is the general consensus regarding mounting the SPOT device? On the bike (and where?) or on your person (and where?) ?

Interested to hear the consensus on this.. I'm currently looking at purchasing a Spot and where to mount it has been in my mind too.

The pro for it being on the bike is that it may survive a crash intact, to be able to be activated, where as, mounted on your person (arm, jacket etc) would likely be torn free in a stack, rendering it pretty useless anyway.

Like any insurance I guess, best to have it anyway and not need it...

Brookester

Premier Member
Respect to those who bike mount it..lets hope the bike never has to press the buttons. Now from someone who has been down both on pavement and off road SPOT still works absolutely fine after taking full impact and just giving me some bruising. Still will take a fracture/break over being mangled down a roadside gully with my only help device 50 metres (150ft) away from me.
For SPOT Gen3 & now DeLorme inReach users try one of these... https://giantloopmoto.com/product/tracker-packer-spot-gen3/
Most of all I hope you never need to use it.
Cheers Brooke

IBA-Tiger

Hmmm...
The Giant Loop option is similar to an accessory for the Gen II Spot, and able to be strapped to the forearm, thus allowing (a) horizontal - optimal - aspect, and (b) visibility, so that you can watch the 'heartbeat', and notification of failing batteries. The only problem was that it kept shifting around the said forearm, even integrating with a strap on the Klim jacket, the only way to stop that meant effectively a tourniquet, not acceptable.
Back to mounted on the 'bike, until I can figure out a better body-mounted and visible system. At least while on the 'bike, the tracking is still transmitting, indicating that you've 'failed to proceed', for anyone watching.

Brookester

Premier Member
I have the caribeener to stop the slipping and to add as a backup attaching point with a small piece of high tensile wire...but at the end of the day its what ever works best for you

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Mine is attached to my bike so I can easily see it and hit the check in button once in a while to let my wife know I am ok.
The thought of a wreck has occurred to me and for that reason I normally keep my cell phone in a pocket so I should have access to it providing I have a signal, it was not broken, etc.

I am looking into a PLB - Personal Locator Beacon, that I will keep in a jacket pocket and serve as a backup in case I cannot hit the spot. The problem is they are larger than a Spot tracker (about the size of an older cell phone) but those monitoring are the search and rescue agencies rather than a corporation and they have a more powerful signal. These are emergency use only so there is no signal until activated so battery condition is less of a concern.