SPOT vs InReach

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
I've got a few months left on my existing SPOT contract, but I'm giving serious thought to moving over to an InReach.

I'd like to hear from those who currently have (or have had) an InReach and find out what you like or perhaps don't like about it. Do you use the annual membership or the monthly, and why?

Do you use the SE+ or the Explorer, and why? I don't see a need for the Explorer with its TOPO maps and enhanced GPS functions, but I'm open to hear comments on this. I'm not an off-road rider or a hiker.

Do you use the battery or have it hard wired?

Do you attach it to the bike or to yourself? If to yourself do you have any issues with it missing signals? I've found that when I wear my SPOT it doesn't always show all my tracks, whereas if it's mounted to the bike it rarely misses a tracking point.

My primary reason for considering this is that I'm planning a ride that may take me outside of cell coverage, and I like the thought of having the ability to send texts via satellite if I have a need to hit the SOS button. It would be nice to be able to tell my wife that I'm okay and that I've only hit the SOS for someone else, or to give specifics as to why I had to hit the SOS.

Last edited:

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have had my In-Reach for several years and find it works perfectly for my needs. It is the regular SE, not the explorer. The GPS functionality isn't really useful in anything other than foot powered pursuits in my opinion. Important to note my GPS is a Montana, so I already have a rugged battery powered unit that has topo maps and routing capability in a screen size I can read when adventuring off the bike. If you're not going to hike around and travel off road - the GPS version would be a waster of money.

I use the battery, not hard-wired, and have it RAM mounted to my bars. My battery life seems to be pretty dead-on Garmins (mine was Delorme) stats of 100 hrs or so. The longest I've gone without recharging it was a 10 day trip to the Canadian maritimes. I only powered it up in the morning and then off at night after texting the wife that I was OK. If I recall, I had 18%-20% power left when I got home. Riding was on average 8 hours a day. Normally I bring a charger on longer trips just in case.

I've never had a missed signal, never missed a message and like the ability to reliably link to Spotwalla and text my wife along the way regardless of where I am. I have the Freedom Safety Plan and find that the 10 cents for each point not a huge deal unless i have several big rides coming up. I will change this for the Butt Lite, for example, but not for the Fools Gold BBG I'm attempting. Free unlimited preset texts are great and allow me to save my 10 monthly allowed free texts to be mostly 'incoming' from my wife. By not managing my account more aggressively and changing monthly subscriptions more often I've likely spent more this past year, but whatever ... having the $16 fee for non-riding months balances out for me.

Mounted to the bars, I know I won't have it if I get thrown .... but thats the choice I've made. If theres ever an issue I hope that someone recognizes the capability and hits the SOS if I'm unable. You mention the ability to communicate with responders and the Mrs if the SOS gets hit - this was my biggest requirement.

I bought a tracker specifically to cover my connectivity needs when I travel to Canada - I visit the maritimes several times a year - but there has been a lot of places in the US where I don't have cell coverage and can still be reachable to my family. I would buy the In-Reach again if I had to do it over, it is easy to work and the Earthmate app that accompanies it for your phone is a pretty good map you can use to download regions/states in so I always have a digital map even without cell coverage.

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
DAMN - we were sitting in that car for hours...I like inReach, user for years.
I called and cancelled my SPOT renewal and ordered an InReach which will be here this week. The SPOT is still valid for another two weeks so I'll have it with me for my SS1K / Tour Of Honor trophy attempt next weekend, and I'll use the InReach as a backup and emergency communicator.

inReach is more expensive to buy and more expensive to use than SPOT. It is a two-way device and when stranded in the Sonora desert with no cell coverage, glad I had it. I could communicate two-way with rescue and friends. SPOT is the market leader (as the price is a major concern). Since Garmin bought Delorme, it is entirely possible inReach will be even more expensive in the future.