Spot X and Aerostich Roadcrafter

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I have a Spot X, and I've found that if it's inside a pocket it does not ping the satellites. If I mount the Spot X on my motorcycle's handlebar it tracks very well, but for the sake of safety I know it would be better to wear the Spot device on my person. I have an Aerostich R-3 and a 2-piece Roadcrafter Classic.

I'm curious to see how others do wear their tracker devices. I know one option is to attach it to the left pocket carabiner, but I'd rather not have it dangling (and I use that carabiner for a hydration tube). How do you wear your tracker?

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Klim or Giant Loop make a shoulder strap mount for the Spot as does another company Google is your friend there.

Me, I mount it to my bike, I understand it may not be ideal in a severe crash when I cannot make it to my bike, but at the same time I also believe there is no guarantee the spot will still be attached to my jacket in a similar get off, so it is a measured option I chose.

Last edited:

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks, I see Giant Loop has a wrist strap. I might pick up one of those.

It occurs to me that I could probably fashion my own strap holder that loops through the glove holder feature on the left breast pocket of the Roadcrafter. That would prevent it from dangling and shouldn't interfere with my hydration tube.

On the Darian jacket I can place the carbiner through a loop that is under the flap for the external pocket up near the shoulder.

-Mark

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I put mine in an Aerostich clear HD sleeve pocket.
I like this idea. The chest pocket carabineer worked okay, but with the HD wrist pocket I can easily glance at the Spot tracker to make sure I enabled tracking. I have been known to forget.

Bob Bowman

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I noticed that when the spot was in my RC chest pocket it work intermittently. I think it makes a difference if you have it facing you or facing outward. My solution is a Spot 3 mounted to the bike and a Spot 2 in my RC right sleeve pocket.