Spotwalla charges

Biggles

Premier Member
The third newsletter from Jason is out, with the charging details. We've known for a fair while this was coming. As from February 1st, every account holder was given a US$5.00 credit. There are fees for storage, views and usage. For me, it has worked out at about 50 cents (US) per week without any usage- i.e. basically just for storage. Seems manageable. There's provision for an email alert when your account drops below a chosen threshold.
From Newsletter 22/1:
"If your account falls below $0, SpotWalla will continue to provide and charge for the services used. If your account falls below $-12, your trips will no longer be viewable and device activity will cease. Adding funds to your account will first be used to recover outstanding debts. The remaining balance will be used for future activity."
It all comes back to how much you value your saved rides. Of course it will be very relevant to see how much a ride will cost. There will obviously be a tax on popularity, since page views attract a fee.
It will be interesting to compare notes in this thread with other users.

Last edited:

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
There will obviously be a tax on popularity, since page views attract a fee
The wording on that from Jason left me wondering if it was "per day that it's viewable" or if it's "per page view by anyone".

I certainly hope it's not the latter, or I'm going to be in a hurt locker later this year.

Anecdotally, it seems to be "per day that it's viewable".

Sean

Premier Member
The third newsletter from Jason is out, with the charging details. We've known for a fair while this was coming. As from February 1st, every account holder was given a US$5.00 credit. There are fees for storage, views and usage. For me, it has worked out at about 50 cents (US) per week without any usage- i.e. basically just for storage. Seems manageable. There's provision for an email alert when your account drops below a chosen threshold.
From Newsletter 22/1:
"If your account falls below $0, SpotWalla will continue to provide and charge for the services used. If your account falls below $-12, your trips will no longer be viewable and device activity will cease. Adding funds to your account will first be used to recover outstanding debts. The remaining balance will be used for future activity."
It all comes back to how much you value your saved rides. Of course it will be very relevant to see how much a ride will cost. There will obviously be a tax on popularity, since page views attract a fee.
It will be interesting to compare notes in this thread with other users.
You need to go into your account and turn your Spot off if its costing 50c a week with No usage then it will cost half that.

Coupons...

"Running an IBA ride? Redeem this coupons and we will pay your SpotWalla fees for up to two devices."
"Coupons allow SpotWalla users to use SpotWalla free of charge for up to two devices while riding an Iron Butt Association ride or participating in an event that uses SpotWalla to track its participants. If you do not see a coupon for an event, please contact SpotWalla Support and let us know more about the event and who to contact."

Anyone use this? Does it work for SS1K's or only large organized events? How long do you think it will be free?

Thank you if you know.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Ahhh... I guess I can see how that can be seen that way. However, it is $0.04/day regardless of the number of views you have. There is no "tax on popularity". Zero views pays the same as 100. What you are paying for is storage and the ability to have your trips viewed, not the actual number of views you receive.

Last edited:

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Yup. It is 4¢ a day for storage, regardless the number of views and devices....
Screenshot_20220214-203335.png

...and 3¢/day for each device that is active. Bubbler (type) devices only get charged if they drop a mark and SPOT devices are charged for every day they are enabled in Spotwalla.
Screenshot_20220214-203502.png

Tele

Premier Member
For those who currently pay the annual IBA "Premier" membership of USD$40, I note that for an additional USD$10 (USD$50 in total), it will include a coupon for one annual Spotwalla membership. See the IBA notes on this for detail, but this might prove a financial benefit for any members who already pay the Premier fees and wish to maintain their Spotwalla account.

Kimmie

Guys, can I ask for some help please.

I deactivated my Spotwalla device (and no longer pay for Findmespot) since I'm not riding much and am happy to lose my maps. However, I received an email tonight saying my account is in arrears (which I will happily rectify) but I do not wish to continue with this service.

How do I stop it from incurring debt??

Thanks in advance Brains trust

Brookester

Premier Member
Guys, can I ask for some help please.

I deactivated my Spotwalla device (and no longer pay for Findmespot) since I'm not riding much and am happy to lose my maps. However, I received an email tonight saying my account is in arrears (which I will happily rectify) but I do not wish to continue with this service.

How do I stop it from incurring debt??

Thanks in advance Brains trust
Hi Kimmie, if its Spotwalla go to their site and email them to deactivate your account, it is a totally different site to your SPOT device.