SpotWalla

michiel kerkhof

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Yep just did that 5 mins ago.....easy peasy even for me read the instruction mail open your account and add some dough to the account set parameter so I get a warning when there is less than 5 bucks in the balance of the account all done in abt 2 minutes of my time

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm a 12 year+ user of SPOTWALLA, but I have hardly used my Spot device nor ridden many LD rides over the last couple of years like many in here.

I received an email from SPOTWALLA today. So I logged in to my account using my usual login, found the 'My account' bit and clicked on 'Account Manager' and the 'Fund your Account' page comes up. I paid USD$50 through paypal so I won't have to worry about low funds for a while.

Easy.

Thanks for the full and comprehensive response Dave :p

Its a shame - was a great service, but i suppose they have to earn a groat or three.

Firstpeke

It isn't expensive, costing just a few American cents a day really when in use.

Most users in the USA |I believe made donations for the service and it has been said that the charges now being levied are less, or no more than those previous donations for regular users.

I got the impression that was around $25 or so per annum.

Of course you can always use Spot's own site to create and share a Journey if preferred.

tbh I found the spot service to be "pants" compared to spotwalla, and also tbh I haven't used my spot3 for many years. I tended to use Spotwalla using my mobile/cell phone as I found it much more usable.

And as you say, $25 isn't much at all and when I get back on the road again (I was involved in a serious RTC early last year) I will no doubt subscribe to the new and improved Spotwalla.

Firstpeke

I have used Spotwalla mostly and will probably continue to do so, although I may also investigate Spot's journey method as a back up!

Briefly I investigated bubbler on the phone but as one needs a phone signal that doesn't work for me!

My main reason for using Spot/Spotwalla was to enable my wife to follow my journey wherever I may be and so she knew I could get help should the worst happen.... I did have an accident in 2012 that could have ended quite badly had someone not stopped to help.... no phone signal, isolated area, very cold.... off on ice resulting in me being off the road and down a bank..... and so on..... they say any accident you walk away from is a "good" one, this was one I physically couldn't walk away from, but I could crawl....

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
tbh I found the spot service to be "pants" compared to spotwalla, and also tbh I haven't used my spot3 for many years. I tended to use Spotwalla using my mobile/cell phone as I found it much more usable.

And as you say, $25 isn't much at all and when I get back on the road again (I was involved in a serious RTC early last year) I will no doubt subscribe to the new and improved Spotwalla.
If you already have an account you need to go in and "deactivate" your device now, and then all you do is activate it again when you're ready to start riding and set up a Trip, that way you're not eating into your funds if you're not currently riding. Jason automatically credited every account with $5. Since you didn't know any of this you either didn't get the emails from Jason; didn't read the emails from Jason; don't have a correct email set up with SpotWalla; or you don't have a current account on new.spotwalla.com

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Thanks for the full and comprehensive response Dave :p

Its a shame - was a great service, but i suppose they have to earn a groat or three.
It was accurate.
I did have a Spot but now I do not go where there is no phone signal and find SWC
As previously stated $25 per year is fine for the functionality and quality of the App. I think some is to pay for maps and storage. No such thing as a free lunch!