Spring Equinox 2020

WY88

Premier Member
Googled it, one site says March 19th this year, another says March 20th. With Mother Natures cooperation I plan on completing a SS1K, which day is it, according to the IBA.

Googled it, one site says March 19th this year, another says March 20th. With Mother Natures cooperation I plan on completing a SS1K, which day is it, according to the IBA.
Let's see what Ira has to say. With leap year, my calendar says the 19th. Planning on doing the ride also.

-Mark

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
It depends upon where you are. On the US west coast, the vernal equinox (according to timeanddate.com) is Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 8:49 pm PDT, and on the east coast at 11:49 pm EDT. But in Perth, Australia, for example, it occurs Friday, March 20, 2020 at 11:49 am AWST. So you really need to check the date and time for your ride route (all times are local).

Ira

OldCrow

Premier Member
Don't forget about Daylight Savings Time. Here in Maine if I'm doing the math correct, the Equinox occurs at 00:49 DST March 20th. Too bad it's a rainy cold day :(

ScottAL

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Don't forget about Daylight Savings Time. Here in Maine if I'm doing the math correct, the Equinox occurs at 00:49 DST March 20th. Too bad it's a rainy cold day :(
Vernal equinox occurs at 0349z. EDT is z-4hrs which is 2349edt, unless you are in the Atlantic time zone, in which case I don't think you would still be in Maine.

OldCrow

Premier Member
Vernal equinox occurs at 0349z. EDT is z-4hrs which is 2349edt, unless you are in the Atlantic time zone, in which case I don't think you would still be in Maine.
We had DST thrust upon us last weekend, spring forward one hour. So you are correct on EDT it's 2349, but our clocks are one hour ahead, hence 0049 DST March 20th :)
PS our last Governor did talk about shifting Maine to Atlantic Time, but I would be happy if the powers that shouldn't be would just ditch DST.

ScottAL

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
We had DST thrust upon us last weekend, spring forward one hour. So you are correct on EDT it's 2349, but our clocks are one hour ahead, hence 0049 DST March 20th :)
PS our last Governor did talk about shifting Maine to Atlantic Time, but I would be happy if the powers that shouldn't be would just ditch DST.
Double check your math - Eastern Standard Time is UTC - 5 hours. Eastern Daylight Time (Daylight Savings Time) is UTC - 4 hours. Same Daylight savings time that the entire east coast is on, unless you guys are on double secret daylight savings time. The definition of EDT IS Eastern Daylight Time which is what you are calling DST, they are the same.

OldCrow

Premier Member
Yep I'm confused. Please tell me when on my clock, FYI right now showing 14:07, in central Maine will the Equinox occur.
Thank you
OC