SS 5000 in the UK

Thinking of doing a SS 5000 in the next week or so I'm thinking of trying a Full Monty then two BBG 1500 but with sleep in between. My thought is by trying the Full Monty and the two BBG's that will give me 24 hours spare for rest etc, thoughts would be welcome.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
You're too old mate, it's well past time for you to hang up your boots!!!

A more considered response will follow shortly :)

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Nice idea Foster ...

I was looking at doing all of the RBLR1000 rides this year with the 2 x 500 on the last 24hrs to finish at the same time as everyone else.
Due to the negative attitude by most about Certified rides in the UK including a IBA Staff member (NOT Phil)
I have put this one to bed until attitudes change.. I've found only the USA, Mainland Europe and OZ promote a positive mix.

My rides will be around Europe or other parts of the world.

If you fancy a week over the water putting in some miles, there is a big list of rides to do and great to ride alongside ...

Last edited:

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
A Full Monty is a fairly challenging ride and will need a combination of serious planning followed by excellent weather and cooperating traffic.

GB-only BBGs are fairly challenging and need a combination of excellent planning followed by excellent weather and cooperating traffic.

In your shoes I'd be spending a lot of time making sure that my routes and weather forecasting were as thorough as I could possibly make them and I'd then be getting a grownup to check my calculations.

Despite my opening bid, you're never too old so stop dithering and get on with it.:)

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Looking at the routes Foster and it's a hard one to do if your wanting to nest the other rides.

If you just want to do the SS5000 then it's easier and you have plenty of time for rest in-between.
For the straight SS5000 then 1250 miles each day which on day 3 gives you the extended rest period.

For the Nested

BBG1500 first to test your timings on the route ..
if it fails then you can revert to the straight version but with a nested Full Monty, 1000 & 1500

or no nested rides for an easier SS5000

Hope this helps

PM me your routes if you want ...

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
Nice idea Foster ...

I was looking at doing all of the RBLR1000 rides this year with the 2 x 500 on the last 24hrs to finish at the same time as everyone else.
Due to the negative attitude by most about Certified rides in the UK including a IBA Staff member (NOT Phil)
I have put this one to bed until attitudes change.. I've found only the USA, Mainland Europe and OZ promote a positive mix.

My rides will be around Europe or other parts of the world.

If you fancy a week over the water putting in some miles, there is a big list of rides to do and great to ride alongside ...
Be good if you did all the rides back to back Ziggy

Routes done just need a quick oil change (the bike not me) then I'm ready for the off next Monday night the 14th going anti clock so I'll get to JOG by about 8.30 then down to Fishgaurd (hotel booked for £38 ) and then 'To infinity and beyond '

Whos idea was this anyway, Oh yes Mine.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
That was the idea Graeme .. works out at an SS5000 ... finish time for the multi-day at the same time as the rest of the riders
Thats a brilliant plan Ziggy. Ive considered the 4 x 1000 but never tge 2 x 500 as well.
Would love yo see it done.