SS1000 Ride from SFO

Hello fellas,

I recently moved to US, Sunnyvale California. I was off riding for close to 1 year and now i wish to start my riding again. I am thinking to start off with a SS1000 ride from Sunnyvale CA. I have a tiger explorer. Can someone please suggest a route plan that i can take from Sunnyvale, California? I would like to kick off the ride at 3AM on the day of ride also i need the return route to be different for my ride. What is the best month from weather perspective to take up this ride? Any suggestions/comments appreciated

Naufal

Well from Sunnyvale - you basically only have 3 options i.e. north, south or east. I would not recommend heading west as salt water is corrosive to our bikes... :) That being said - I would recommend you build your own route using whatever routing application you are most comfortable. For me - I use My Maps through Google. Since this is your first SS - you might want to consider a route with the starting and end in the same location - A loop route would ensure you are never more than 500 miles (give or take) from home without riding the same roads to and from. As for time of year - heck; I'm in San Diego and as you know - the weather this year has been very warm. You could knock out your SS this weekend and not worry too much about weather unless you are crossing a mountain range. Generally, I would start my riding season late March/April as you have to consider the weather of where you are going more so than from where you are starting. Go ahead and create a route and post on this thread and I am sure you will receive some feedback. Welcome to the site.

DelB

Premier Member
101 to 84(or use 92, free this direction for both bridges) to 880 to 80(toll at Carquinez Bridge $5) to 505 to 5 north to 36 to 99 to 5 south to 126 to 101 north to home

Approximately 1058 mile

Sunnyvale-->Sacramento-->Yuba City-->Medford-->Crescent City-->Santa Rosa-->Sunnyvale Shows 950 Miles(50 miles i assume will be offset when i am on road actually) so i guess it would be close to 1000+. Google map shows 17 hrs for this. I was expecting 16 hrs to complete. Any comments on the above route-map? Road conditions, usual traffic conditions etc. any inputs welcome :)

DelB

Premier Member
You ask what is the best month to ride, well, the above ride would be "never" unless you like cold, wet, windy around Crescent City. I have ridden south from Oregon on 101 in the middle of July and hit high winds, heavy fog and drizzle. Also, why would you want to ride through SF?

For California, the best riding time is Spring and Fall. For your first SS1K, stay on the freeways whenever possible. You can get fancy with 2 lane roadways later.

Sunnyvale-->Sacramento-->Yuba City-->Medford-->Crescent City-->Santa Rosa-->Sunnyvale Shows 950 Miles(50 miles i assume will be offset when i am on road actually) so i guess it would be close to 1000+. Google map shows 17 hrs for this. I was expecting 16 hrs to complete. Any comments on the above route-map? Road conditions, usual traffic conditions etc. any inputs welcome :)
Google map times will not factor in fuel stops times etc. Your Tiger should allow you 200 mile legs easily; figure approximately 5-6 stops at 10-15 minutes each; adds another hour to 1.5 hours over driving/ride time at a minimum. As stated by DelB - you might want to stick with major interstate/highways for an overall higher average MPH. I would definitely stay away from major cities if possible; or time your passage during off-peak commute times. As DarkoDanny posted - half the fun is planning your own route since ultimately you are riding it. This would be a great time to practice routing in your preferred application. My Maps within Google enables you to save/share routes and/or copy from others; import a GPX file; save your route to a KMZ file-open in Base Camp-and save to a Garmin GPS if you have one etc. Lots of tools available to help you get started. I would recommend with creating a map in google and posting to this thread for others to more easily view and offer advice. Mark your planned fuel stops along the route.

kwthom

Premier Member
IBA Member
I'll take up a couple of other points...

<...>I would like to kick off the ride at 3AM on the day of ride also i need the return route to be different for my ride.
Do you normally get up and moving around this time?

There's been a couple of threads around here and elsewhere about messing much with your normal circadian rhythms. If you believe you will be conscious enough to operate a motorcycle for 18+ hours, starting at 3AM, then it's the best time for you to start.

Otherwise, only YOU are able to clearly understand times, traffic patterns, et. al. in your ride situation.

As far as the second point you brought up.In doing a ride like this, that's considered a 'loop', by not returning on the same path. Ideally, a ~520 mile out-and-back is the simplest routing of all, but I can truly understand the desire to see different things on this trip.

Others above this post best described a couple of routing suggestions that only you would be able to acknowledge.

Good luck; let us know how it transpired!