SS1000 Route Documentation Confirmation

Greetings All-
I have read and re-read the Saddle Sore 1000 certification requirements, but like many first-timers would like more experienced eyes to look at this planned route https://goo.gl/maps/5fg8i4Uv94VZ4e5k7 and weigh in on whether these documented stops would likely be sufficient for certification. I plan to run Bubbler GPS on my phone and include a Spotwalla track in my application.
Beyond certification, if anyone is local to this route or otherwise has experience in these areas and has counsel to share, I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance, and may you always keep the shiny side up.

Cody

Last edited:

Lanval

IBA Member
You are doing a SS1000 with a 16 mile cushion. Why are you going into Fort Smith on I40W then to come back out? That is mileage that cannot be easily verified unless you are getting a receipt at the Pizza stop. At the start you go around Waukesha to the esat, you could easily go around this city to the west and no one would know, so you have more lost mileage.

Just a few things I see.

Lanval-

Thank you for your reply. Please take the following not as a rebuttal, but an explanation of my thought process so I can see where I've gone wrong. The trip into Fort Smith was an attempt to economically add that mileage cushion. Without it, the total distance was only 1003, which made me even more wary of coming up short. The "pizza shop" is a gas station, but I'm not sure if it operates 24 hours. My intention was to secure a receipt of some sort, preferably fuel. The Eastern route through Waukesha was auto generated by Google Maps so I trusted it, as I am not familiar with the area. Would a Spotwalla track usually be accepted for that portion? If not, do you have any suggestions how it could be better documented or where I could add some more mileage along the way? I'm hesitant to overshoot the final stop too far, as my home is already another 20 miles away, but not in the direction of any gas stations or other sources of computer generated receipts. This is my first ride of this length and I don't yet know how I will react to it.

Thanks again!

Ninemmsig

Premier Member
I recommend a much larger mileage cushion. My SS1000 route on google showed almost 1,090, odometer showed 1,110, cert returned 1,040. I don’t think 16 miles is enough cushion. This can be done pretty easily in 16-17 hours, leave 30 minutes earlier, ride past your planned start location to get a start receipt. It’ll be worth the peace of mind later. Just my .02!

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I agree with the others about a bigger mileage cushion. How about tidying things up a bit and ending the cert ride a little sooner? You have fewer corners to document and a better buffer. You may need another gas stop on the first leg, but this is the idea. 1069 miles. LINK

CB650F

Premier Member
I'm not a hardcore, life-long IBA rider, but I've got a couple of rides under my belt. Take my suggestions knowing that. Phones can be finicky. GPS trackers are easy to mess up, especially when you're excited about getting started with your first long distance ride. Go ahead, ask me how I know. You'll want a DBR at the start, end, and every corner of your route. You'll get fewer miles if your GPS tracker doesn't track you and you don't have a DBR from the East side of Waukesha. Going around the west side instead will cost you 6 miles, on an already tight run. If you then forget to stop in Fort Smith, you're toast. At the end of a long ride when you are sore and all you want to do is get the ride over, it's easy to forget about a backtracking detour like that.

Your proposed route has you hitting I-94 and changing directions shortly after starting. I'd suggest a DBR there. But you just got on the road and would be stopping, which eats up some time. Why not officially start the route there, at I-94? That way you'll fill up and hop on the interstate to start eating up miles as fast as reasonably possible. Then, since you're on the interstate system, stick with it. Instead of getting off the interstates and on smaller state highways at Madison, take I-90 over to I-35. Get a DBR at that corner then head south. There's a Love's Travel Stop at that corner. They make great bathroom and fuel stops. They give good DBRs, are clean, and always have food if you're hungry. Love's is a go-to stop for me. From there, I-35 down to Kansas City. Flow right onto I-49 there and head to I-40 near Fort Smith like you originally planned, but skip the Pizza detour. Southwest of Little Rock, where I-430 meets I-30, there's another Love's. That will make a great end point for your ride. It will be 1079 miles, so a much better cushion in case of GPS tracking errors and unexpected route changes or any other weirdness like that. It will add about 20 minutes to the time though, so that's something to consider. If need be, there's a Super 8 hotel that you can probably see from the Love's parking lot. Get a hotel room, a nice hot shower, and some shut eye before heading home the next day. I know you'll be close to home, but with the excitement of finishing the ride over, that can be a dangerous 20 minutes. It's better to just stop and pay another $50 for a cheap hotel room than to risk falling asleep on the way home. That's something you'll have to figure out when you're there.

Also, since this is your first long distance ride, you can cut it short at the Valero in Conway where I-40 heads south to Little Rock. There's a hotel you can probably see from the parking lot there too. It's 1,045 miles, which I think is perfect. It's also 10 minutes faster than your original route. The downside is that you're a little farther from home when you end the ride. If you are tired and get a hotel room, that doesn't matter at all. Another few miles on the ride home after some sleep is nothing. If you're not tired and continue home after the ride, well, it also doesn't matter because you're not tired.

Here's a link to the route I'd use. Also, I'll be in Hot Springs for another week and a half, maybe two weeks. If you make the ride during that time and need an end witness, hit me up. I'm a night owl, so I don't mind meeting you at 2am if you need a witness and don't want to start hitting up complete strangers. Good luck!

(Edit) A little bit more time spent playing with your route shows this route. 16 hours and 1,044 miles. Same start and end points. Better cushion, no backtracking, but it does have tolls according to Googlemaps. Might be worth considering.

Last edited:
Thanks all-
Here is Route Plan 2.0 developed to integrate advice I've gotten here. Stops are planned a 2-2.5 hour intervals at travel centers which should be open 24/7. I realize that "no plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force", but hope that this at least gets me going in the right direction. Are there any further refinements y'all would suggest?

Thanks again!

C

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
With regard to looking for an ending witness at 2 am, just a reminder that there is no need unless you're planning on taking off right away. The rules allow for you to wait until later that morning to find an end witness. Just be sure to obtain the end receipt right away to stop the clock.

On a related note, if you plan to start a ride in the middle of the night, you can obtain your start witness signature the afternoon/evening before. Your first receipt starts the clock.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Route Plan 2.0 looks much cleaner and easier to verify. Nice job! Beyond Ira's wise words, I will add that at the end of your ride if you feel you are cutting it close, stop and get an early end receipt if you think you're over 1000 miles. ATM, purchase from McDonalds, anything to support your documentation in a pinch. McD drive thru is often open 24 hours and has saved more than one rider. Get the early receipt, then continue on to your planned finish if the clock still has the time and document that as you planned.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I'll simply add to the excellent thoughts of the two above me...

Read, and read again those start/corner/end receipts fully for those key nuggets of info: location, time, date. As you do more of these rides, you'll begin to become a bit more adept at scanning for those data points with every receipt you touch forever. :D

'Hey, this Home Depot receipt is a great one for an IBA ride...'

(the Petro in Albert Lea, MN did NOT spit out a good receipt when I did my 48 State ride a couple of years ago, FYI...)

Luck to ya!

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Us old guys make a simple log book from a small notebook and give columns the same headings as the IBA fuel log page. Then fill it out at each stop from the info on the receipt. Can't miss that way. OTOH, now folks do a lot of electronic submission and you could easily miss info if you don't verify on location. I'm still working on my technique for a decent size, viewable and readable receipt pic with my odo. :confused:

Bill53

Premier Member
I've taken a binder clip with velcro and a matching piece on my dash. Clip the receipt and place on dash next to odometer. Now I have 2 hands free to photo with Bubbler or cel phone cam. A second device handy is good plan. When documenting allowing for wind or other impediments/challenges is a good plan. I've only done three rides but you learn on each one !

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Something like this:

PhotoSample.PNG

Now, this is the advanced variant, as I used a piece of software to automatically generate the image data you see.

This same piece of data (the image number) is included in the log entry:

LogSample.PNG

For rides like the 48 State ride with dozens of entries, makes life a LOT easier to build the data once the ride is completed.

A brief discussion of the clipboard system I've used here: https://kwthom.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

Hello all. I am newbie and just beginning to plan my first SS1000 as well. I read the procedures for the SS1000 and maybe I am missing something, so please don't laugh, but I didn't see where it is required for witnesses? I know that gas receipts with location, mileage photo plus time & date are required. Am I wrong? Finding someone at 3:30 am or 4, might be a challenge. I am also working on a Google map creating a 1,000 plus route in FL because I give up on Garmin Base Camp! I have a Mac and other than keeping me in the house during the Coronavirus shut down, I can not find a use for or how to operate the software. Watched all the YouTubes and still can not master it. I have a touch pad on the laptop - no mouse, and each time I want to scroll the map to find another intersection, I end up dropping waypoints? Switch tools, and I can not figure out how to reconnect to the route I had already started - frustrating! There must be an easier way. Thanks and sorry for raging on.
I have enjoyed reading and learning from this knowledgable group. Thank you, Jim

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Welcome to the forum. Using the current electronic method does not require a witness. LINK

The old method of just paper documentation and a witness form with mailed in copies of your receipts does require a witness. LINK 2

Witness Forms

If you do the paper method, please understand you don't necessarily need a start witness at the exact time you start. It's acceptable to have a witness verify your odo the night before, for example. And at the end, a reasonable time after is acceptable. So if you finish at 2 am, go get some sleep and have someone witness/verify your odo at in the morning. Ideally, you don't ride hundreds of miles in between witness verification and start, or between end receipt and witness verification. Remember, your start time is from the RECEIPT, not the witness. Ditto for your end time, it's the RECEIPT, not the witness.

Basecamp is not intuitive, and it's worse for Mac users since Mac just works and Basecamp just doesn't. Everything has to be done new from every new cursor point, but that's another rant for another day. Just build your route point to point if you're going to put it into a GPS. End point, then via points to keep you on the route you want. Build/identify your route on some other mapping software like Google Maps if that works easier for you.

One big thing to understand about BC is that it has no maps. Ever. It must be tied into maps from your GPS or Computer, if you downloaded the Garmin maps to your computer as well as your GPS. If your computer doesn't have Garmin maps, then you have no maps. If it has a different set from your GPS, you'll get different routing than your GPS. You need to have the GPS plugged into the computer to get routing on BC with maps from your GPS, so that your BC routing matches your GPS route later, (and sometimes it still doesn't.)

There should be some BC help posts on the forum if you search. Some was lost when the transition to the new Gen of the forum software was made.

edit - I use a mouse with my laptop. It's just so much more versatile than a touch pad. Even a cheap wired travel mouse kicks ass over the touch pad when you have to constantly move back and forth from the toolbox to the map, etc.

Last edited:
EricV - Thank you for your quick responses and clarification. From reading these postings, I just went out to the garage and grabbed a few scraps of Plexiglas and made a quick receipt holder for my pictures (thank you kwthom). If fits perfectly on the ledge by my speedometer. Safe travels, Jim Yes, a dummy receipt.
Receipt Holder.jpg