SS1000: To the Grand Canyon and Back

I'm more of a daily commuter/around town rider, but I like to throw in the occasional road trip on my 05 HD Sportster 1200. I've ridden all around California, Nevada, and Arizona, but I'd never done a long-haul ride for the sake of the ride, so when I randomly Googled and discovered it's exactly 499 miles from my door to the Grand Canyon, I knew I needed to do my first Saddlesore 1000 ride.

I spent a ridiculous amount of time planning and thinking about the ride. I played with Google Maps to space out the gas stops. I looked up weather reports for different months. I recruited a friend to do it with me. And, most importantly, I made my fiancee comfortable with the idea of me spending a night with my motorcycle instead of her. She would never stop me from doing a ride (hell, she's comfortable with my 100+ mile roundtrip commute in LA), but her buy-in was still important -- happy wife, happy life and all.

My buddy lives in Nor Cal so he towed his bike down on August 5. I fired up the Weber Kettle and made some steaks for an early dinner, and we both turned in around 9PM with my alarm set for 3AM. When I woke up, I made a hearty breakfast of sausage and eggs, guzzled a bunch of water, and loaded up the bike with a day trip's worth of snacks, water, and extra fuel. Once my buddy woke up around 3:45, we each took one last bathroom break and fired up the bikes. I'm sure the neighbors loved waking up to his Dyna and my Sportster (both equipped with Screamin Eagle pipes), but we quickly made our way to the closest gas station to fuel up and get going.

Or so we thought. The gas station was closed -- I didn't realize any gas stations in Orange County fully closed overnight, but there we were at 4am with near-empty tanks. I didn't expect all the planning to go out the window before we even got started. Thankfully, the 7-Eleven a mile away never closes and we fueled up and hit the road at 4:23 AM. I don't ride with music, and my phone is always in my pocket, so my only navigation tools were a sharpie and masking tape on the tank. Honestly, it works better than letting Waze re-route you halfway through a trip, and I prefer it.

It was in the high 60s when we left, so I was in my half helmet and leather vest. I had my jacket tied to the sissy bar just in case, but the mercury was only rising from here. We made quick work to Barstow by sunrise, and then it was the longest stretch of the day to get to Needles. My plan at each stop was to eat a handful of nuts, some beef jerky, or some dehydrated fruit, to drink a liter of water and use the restroom, to fill up the tiny sportster tank, and to be back on the road in 20 minutes. By the time we get to Kingman, we were almost a full hour ahead of schedule and I start thinking about making another steak for dinner when we get back at a decent time. Ha!

According to my extensive internet research, the South Rim entrance to the Grand Canyon can back up for a couple hours in August. This was a non-starter with our air-cooled bikes even before the idea of lopping that time off our 24-hour window, so we decided to go through Flagstaff, up Route 89 through the reservation, and to the East Entrance to the Grand Canyon. Added bonus: it gets us a buffer of about 80 miles in case we need to re-route for whatever reason.

So as we head up to Flagstaff, I enjoy the trees and the cool weather. I let myself daydream about living close enough to get to the Grand Canyon on any given weekend, and then we start heading North on Route 89. Almost immediately it goes from mountain green to desert chaparral, and the temperature starts to rise. And quickly. Then we hit the only traffic we saw the entire trip -- it took about 45 minutes to go one mile due to construction. We debated splitting lanes to get out of traffic (something I do without thinking at home), but decided against because there were plenty of cop cars stopping traffic for the construction.

Once the traffic broke, we started jamming northbound to try and get that time back. Seemingly as soon as we hit the border of the reservation, the chaparral disappeared and it was just red rocks and high winds for what felt like an eternity. The wind was so strong I had to lean into it to keep my bike from drifting, and then it would die suddenly and I would have to shift my weight to make sure I didn't tip. For the first time, I felt both mentally and physically exhausted. But we'd passed the 500-mile mark and it should get easier. Should.

But here's the thing: I had neglected to change my brake fluid, and with the high heat and nearly 12 hours of riding it has started to break down. My bike failed to stop at a stop sign entering the first traffic circle once the traffic cleared. It was terrifying, but as soon as I figured out what the issue was, I was able to leave enough following distance and pump the front brake in order to stop in time. I added to my to-do list: avoid the need for an emergency stop.

We stopped for a canyon view on the reservation along Route 64, and we entered the park around 2:15pm. The heat and wind had completely zapped both of us of our energy. Backing our bikes into parking spots at the viewpoint took a ton of effort. So we sat in the visitor center for a while and ate lunch and drank water, and then we rode to another viewpoint. I was suddenly hit with regret -- I had put all this effort into this trip to come to such a majestic place, and we only had 30ish minutes to spend taking it in. What, in my head, had seemed like a great tribute to such a beautiful place felt somehow disrespectful. How could I spend 12 hours to get here to just leave right away?

But as with all of my sins, I quickly put it out of my mind and got back on the bike -- leaving plenty of following distance and pumping the front brake every time we needed to slow down. When we got back to Kingman, we decided to stop for more food and a full hour of air conditioning. The sun was setting soon, and for the first time I was starting to wonder whether we'd be able to make it all the way home.

When we got back to Needles, it was over 110 degrees at 9:10PM. We were staring down the longest stretch of the trip again, so I put a bag of sunflower seeds in my vest pocket to help keep my mouth and mind active, and we trucked ahead. We ended up needing a mental break sooner than Barstow, so we found a far-too-expensive gas station in the middle of nowhere, and then made our way to Victorville. The good news was that we had left the oppressive heat behind, but the bad news was that the mid-60s temperatures felt ice cold after the 110 we'd felt just a couple hours before. Thank God I had my jacket still tied to the sissy bar, so I threw it on and we set out for the last leg of the trip.

For the final best laid plan gone awry, the road signs let us know that I-10 East was backed up with construction traffic. Thankfully we were close enough to home that I knew to take the 15 to the 60 to avoid the traffic, and we pulled into the convenience store by my house just before 2AM. I pulled 20 bucks out of the ATM to get a dated receipt, and then rode the 1/8 of a mile home, woke up my fiancee to let her know I made it home safely, and laid there with a smile on a face and a ringing in my ears until I finally fell asleep at around 4am.

I got my ride certification in the mail today, and just a few days ago I planned out my next IBA ride: an I-5 E2E nested in a Bun Burner 1500. But this time, I'm going to make sure my brake fluid is clean, and I'm going to avoid 110-degree heat.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Congratulations on a successful ride. You might consider wearing ear plugs for your next long ride. Wind noise is a stressor and adds to fatigue over long distances. (It can also contribute to high frequency hearing loss) Another tip on the ATM, you can just check your balance and print the receipt if you don't need the cash, just the time stamp receipt. A water bottle holder tied to the frame or saddlebag makes for an easy sip while riding on the Sporty. Most gas stations sell those bottles with nipples on them, or just use your own and re-fill at stops.

I used to live outside St George, UT. The North Rim was a day ride from there and a beautiful one in the summer, escaping the heat of the desert floor once you got some altitude. Good luck on your next cert ride.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I was in my half helmet and leather vest.
The heat and wind had completely zapped both of us of our energy.
Backing our bikes into parking spots at the viewpoint took a ton of effort.
For the first time, I felt both mentally and physically exhausted.
When we got back to Needles, it was over 110 degrees at 9:10PM
ringing in my ears
I'm glad you made it home safely.

There are a lot of key words and phrases here. Experienced LD riders will understand the cues.

Knowing what you know now, what would you do differently if you could do it all over again?

Last edited:
Congrats on the ride. Now, in addition to the heat and the brakes, what did you learn about riding long distance that you will change up for the next one?
Avoiding the extreme weather and making sure the bike is ready are by far the biggest lessons. I'd probably up my water intake, but a liter every ~2 hours was a good baseline IMO. Sounds like Shawn would recommend a jacket and full face helmet, but I'm not sure I would make that change. I would also plan for a couple longer breaks to cool down and hydrate in that weather.

Shawn K

Premier Member
Sounds like Shawn would recommend a jacket and full face helmet,
All I recommend is that people learn some of the established physiology and science of riding in hot weather so that they can enjoy a long riding career. I learned it the hard way, and I'm glad that there were people who cared enough to point me in a better direction.

You can do whatever you'd like.

Like I said, I'm glad you made it back safely.

Last edited:

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
Avoiding the extreme weather and making sure the bike is ready are by far the biggest lessons. I'd probably up my water intake, but a liter every ~2 hours was a good baseline IMO. Sounds like Shawn would recommend a jacket and full face helmet, but I'm not sure I would make that change. I would also plan for a couple longer breaks to cool down and hydrate in that weather.
You're a recent member of the forum but I have no way of knowing how long you may have been reading things here. If it's been a while then you already know that your type of gear, helmet, hydration, rest breaks, etc is FAR different than the vast majority of the experienced riders. That does not mean that we are right and you are wrong - your bike, your life, your rules; but I would suggest that if LD riding is something you want to do more of you are going to find that our way of doing things does provide for a "SAFER" and more comfortable way of attaining your goals. Just food for thought. Best wishes for the future.

You're a recent member of the forum but I have no way of knowing how long you may have been reading things here. If it's been a while then you already know that your type of gear, helmet, hydration, rest breaks, etc is FAR different than the vast majority of the experienced riders. That does not mean that we are right and you are wrong - your bike, your life, your rules; but I would suggest that if LD riding is something you want to do more of you are going to find that our way of doing things does provide for a "SAFER" and more comfortable way of attaining your goals. Just food for thought. Best wishes for the future.
That may be the case. I'm sure I'm projecting, but the lack of concrete advice and the tone of everyone's replies feels rather condescending. I'd love to hear explicit tips and recommendations rather than comments saying or implying that my first LD ride was done incorrectly. I'm not an experienced LD rider and I'm happy to hear tips from people who are. But it really feels like everyone is talking to me like I'm a child. Again, I'm sure I'm just projecting, but seriously...

Shawn K

Premier Member
I'd love to hear explicit tips and recommendations rather than comments saying or implying that my first LD ride was done incorrectly
You were given a link to a valuable, informative article on the physiology of riding in hot conditions, but it would appear that you rejected it as you being told to do something that you weren't willing to do.

You were quoted multiple times in an effort to illustrate that you were being given cues to inform you that you were pushing yourself into dangerous territory, but would appear that you found that condescending.

If you're going to say that you want explicit tips or recommendations but then reject anything explicit as "condescending", then it will be difficult for anyone to say anything productive to you.

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
That may be the case. I'm sure I'm projecting, but the lack of concrete advice and the tone of everyone's replies feels rather condescending. I'd love to hear explicit tips and recommendations rather than comments saying or implying that my first LD ride was done incorrectly. I'm not an experienced LD rider and I'm happy to hear tips from people who are. But it really feels like everyone is talking to me like I'm a child. Again, I'm sure I'm just projecting, but seriously...
Yes, you are projecting. I didn't give you any concrete advice based upon your response to Shawn with his hot weather riding link; it seems that you were just rejecting outright the extensive research that went into producing that document, and the advice that the majority of us take to heart in order to accomplish long distance rides far in excess of what you did.

But since you now say you are open to hearing such things, here you go. I'm sure others will have much more/better advice than what I can provide:
1. Full face or modular helmet.
2. Hearing protection - yes, even with a full face helmet.
3. Wear a good Base Layer - LD Comfort is the go-to for the majority of the riders here.
4. Wear a good riding suit or jacket / pants - Aerostich and Klim are the two favorites here.
5. Learn how to use the LD Comfort and the riding gear as a "system".
6. Hydrate constantly - not just at fuel stops or when you're thirsty. Whether that be via a MotoJug, a Camelbak, a Butler Cup, or a large bottle of water you need to be drinking while you're riding, especially with your current style of gear because the dry wind is just sucking the moisture out of your body.

These are just the minimal basics of what I would suggest to you.

You were given a link to a valuable, informative article on the physiology of riding in hot conditions, but it would appear that you rejected it as you being told to do something that you weren't willing to do.

You were quoted multiple times in an effort to illustrate that you were being given cues to inform you that you were pushing yourself into dangerous territory, but would appear that you found that condescending.

If you're going to say that you want explicit tips or recommendations but then reject anything explicit as "condescending", then it will be difficult for anyone to say anything productive to you.
"Here, read this document that uses words like Watts and other units no one uses in real life" is condescending. "Hey man, convection strips you of fluids faster than you think so wear long sleeves" is helpful and the kind of advice I would expect.

You effectively called me a dumbass. It may not be inaccurate, but it's also not helpful.

Yes, you are projecting. I didn't give you any concrete advice based upon your response to Shawn with his hot weather riding link; it seems that you were just rejecting outright the extensive research that went into producing that document, and the advice that the majority of us take to heart in order to accomplish long distance rides far in excess of what you did.

But since you now say you are open to hearing such things, here you go. I'm sure others will have much more/better advice than what I can provide:
1. Full face or modular helmet.
2. Hearing protection - yes, even with a full face helmet.
3. Wear a good Base Layer - LD Comfort is the go-to for the majority of the riders here.
4. Wear a good riding suit or jacket / pants - Aerostich and Klim are the two favorites here.
5. Learn how to use the LD Comfort and the riding gear as a "system".
6. Hydrate constantly - not just at fuel stops or when you're thirsty. Whether that be via a MotoJug, a Camelbak, a Butler Cup, or a large bottle of water you need to be drinking while you're riding, especially with your current style of gear because the dry wind is just sucking the moisture out of your body.

These are just the minimal basics of what I would suggest to you.
Thank you. I'd love to hear more about ounces of water versus "drink more" and would love some sort of explanation of why a full face is better.

You guys honestly expect me to have all of your knowledge, but when "it's hot so I wear less" is my response you act like I'm an idiot. "What would you do differently, dummy?" is the vibe I get from all these comments, and it is super off-putting

"Here read this" is condescending. You could have distilled it down and said "hey man a coat would help you stay hydrated." But you chose to act like I'm a child and assigned me homework to read.

It really felt like you wanted me to know that you're more experienced than me, and not at all helpful.

Shawn K

Premier Member
You're easily offended, you find scientific terms like "watts" condescending, and when people speak to you as though you're an intelligent human being you take it as them looking down their nose at you.

I'm not going to lower my standards. You raise yours.

If you're unwilling to learn from people who ARE more experienced than you, then the problem is with you and not the people who are more experienced.

I'm done speaking with you, because it's clear that you want validation, not education.

You're easily offended, you find scientific terms like "watts" condescending, and when people speak to you as though you're an intelligent human being you take it as them looking down their nose at you.

I'm not going to lower my standards. You raise yours.

If you're unwilling to learn from people who ARE more experienced than you, then the problem is with you and not the people who are more experienced.

I'm done speaking with you, because it's clear that you want validation, not education.
I'm here asking for education. You refuse to actually give any advice and instead say "read this."

If you ever choose to be something other than a condescending prick, I'm happy to learn from your self-professed experience.

Do you really get your rocks off telling people you're better than them? What a sad fucking existence.

shroy100,

You asked about the recommendation of a Full Face/Modular helmet. Here's the reason I switched to one: It helps protect me from the weather better an an open face helmet. It's as simple as that. I used a Full Face for many years but the inconvenience of not having access to my mouth for things like food and water made me move to the modular helmet. The wind noise is still there so I use ear plugs (or ear buds when listening to music) to help limit the noise.

Regarding Full Sleeves when riding in hot weather: I too used the 'less is better' when riding in excessive heat but developed heat fatigue during a ride. I met another rider that day that was using an evaprotive vest and venting of the sleeves of his jacket so I tried it on my next ride and found it kept me 'not hot'. YMMV.

Congrats on completing a tough ride and learning some lessons. Not every SS1000 can be a 'piece of cake' as I have pulled the plug on a couple of rides because I did not feel safe or comfortable.

Hope this helps ya.

Last edited:

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
Yep. Me too.
shroy100, if you want detailed information it is in this forum and on the Iron Butt page. Spend a few weeks reading and learning, and then come back here and ask some intelligent and polite questions if you need help understanding something. For whatever reason you've got a chip on your shoulder and calling people who did try to help you condescending pricks isn't exactly going to win you a lot of hearts and minds in this group. I for one am done with you.

shroy100,

You asked about the recommendation of a Full Face/Modular helmet. Here's the reason I switched to one: It helps protect me from the weather better an an open face helmet. It's as simple as that. I used a Full Face for many years but the inconvenience of not having access to my mouth for things like food and water made me move to the modular helmet. The wind noise is still there so I use ear plugs (or ear buds when listening to music) to help limit the noise.

Regarding Full Sleeves when riding in hot weather: I too used the 'less is better' when riding in excessive heat but developed heat fatigue during a ride. I met another rider that day that was using an evaprotive vest and venting of the sleeves of his jacket so I tried it on my next ride and found it kept me 'not hot'. YMMV.

Congrats on completing a tough ride and learning some lessons. Not every SS1000 can be a 'piece of cake' as I have pulled the plug on a couple of rides because I did not feel safe or comfortable.

Hope this helps ya.
This is very helpful, thank you.