SS1000-which route is better?

I plan on doing this next May when it's not too terribly hot in the daytime and not cold at night. Narrowed it down to 2 routes-Houston to Ft Stockton TX and back, or Houston to Bristow OK and back. Here are the advantages I feel are on each route. Ft Stockton: less traffic west of San Antonio, less rain and humidity, San Antonio is probably easier to get through than Dallas. Bristow: I'm very familiar with the route(haven't been west of San Antonio in 20 years), since it's less rural there's probably less chance of wildlife crossing the interstate, lower speed limits(I ride a 320cc Yamaha R3 and don't want to run it faster than 70 or 75mph). On the west part of the S. Antonio route speed limits are 80 and I think even 85 in some spots. Which do you think is the better route for me.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
What is your fuel mileage range, based on running at your prefered speeds (of no more than 75MPH)? The stretch from Kerr County to El Paso County has an 80 mph (130 km/h) speed limit, and they WILL run those speeds. I was getting passed maintaining a slightly-higher-than-that limit thru much of that area.

I have completed a 50CC last fall (October); May - specifically early May - could have seasonable temperatures, I would think.

Details on those speed limits here: http://www.txdot.gov/driver/laws/speed-limits/approved.html

Good luck!

JP Handley

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My opinion with I-10 is between Kerrville and Fort Stockton you are limited on gas stops. If I remember right, Junction and Sonora and Ozona are the only places open 24 hours. You might have to stop short at one of these places and top off to make sure you can make it to Fort Stockton. I would go the Ft Stockton route, but then again I am fairly familiar with that stretch of I-10.

We have a in-state BBG planned and we will be running a stretch of I-10 from Seguin to Van Horn, there is a Chevron and a Exxon right before Fort Stockton south of McCamey that we have called and they close at 10PM, forgot to ask about the pumps being available after that time. You could call and ask about the pumps, possibly give you another option for a gas stop.

The I-10 route would keep your moving average speed pretty high.

I'm not sure of the fuel range with all freeway riding. I only have 500 miles on the bike so far. But I assume fuel economy is not going to be that good at 70+ mph. Small bikes start drinking gas when you run them at interstate speeds. On the Ninja 250 and Honda Rebel 250 I used to have MPG was in the low 40s at interstate speeds. The tank is 3.7 gallons. So if it gets 45mpg and I want a gallon of reserve-2.7X45 is 121.5 miles. But even if it had more range my stop and pee range wouldn't be more than that anyway. If I do the Ft Stockton route and leave at 6am, the only stretch where there is going to be an issue of stations open late at night is from S Antonio to Houston on the way back. About gas stations open 24 hours, pay at pump won't do. I need the station to be open 24 hours to go in and use the restroom.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
I plan on doing this next May when it's not too terribly hot in the daytime and not cold at night. Narrowed it down to 2 routes-Houston to Ft Stockton TX and back, or Houston to Bristow OK and back. Here are the advantages I feel are on each route. Ft Stockton: less traffic west of San Antonio, less rain and humidity, San Antonio is probably easier to get through than Dallas. Bristow: I'm very familiar with the route(haven't been west of San Antonio in 20 years), since it's less rural there's probably less chance of wildlife crossing the interstate, lower speed limits(I ride a 320cc Yamaha R3 and don't want to run it faster than 70 or 75mph). On the west part of the S. Antonio route speed limits are 80 and I think even 85 in some spots. Which do you think is the better route for me.
Plan both routes down to the fuel stops, traffic flow, hours etc. and usually the most logical path will be apparent. Plus - this far out; you will not be sure if there is major (or minor) construction projects and lane closures making one route more appealing than the other. Why wait until next year? If you're looking for not too hot or too cold - October looks pretty good.

I can't do it in October because I'm allergic to ragweed really bad. From late Sept to late Oct my allergies are so bad even taking allergy meds. So May should be good.

ravenranger

22798 now 580
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
An out and back with fewer expressways would be heading out towards Big Spring and making Lamesa your turn around. Plenty of places for gas and to stop if needed and the roads out there are pretty good.

Attachments